Smoky Mountains Retreat, June 24-30, 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 839 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 371
Points 6,710

Good Morning Mary!

Boy oh boy, I don't know how you are able to do this.  So many people, so many things to organize.  I think you are my new heroe.

Here is what I have to offer.  You can put me with Nana as I too need a fan at night.  I am a smoker. I can climb stairs without any difficulty.  I will bring a few bottles of Chardonay or Pinot as I like a glass of wine in the evening.  I will bring a couple of boxes of pierogies and sour cream (and apple sauce).  I am the slowest knitter in the world but will bring my crocheting and teach anyone that wants to learn.  If there are any twin size beds I can take one.  No bunk beds though cuz you wouldn't want me to fall on the lower bunk (not a lightweight).  I'm up for the quilt shop and the fishing, hopefully they are not on the same day but if they are, quilting trumps fishing.  Can we just walk to the lake and fish?  Do I need a license?

See you at the Expo.

Andrea

Andrea

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 8:25 AM

gini:
Not hopeless, incorrigible

Well Gini, when I was in my teens she called me alot of things, LOL i was a little wild child

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 10:50 AM

Leslie :
i was a little wild child

why am i not surprised !!    : )

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 11:13 AM

I am asthmatic and allergic to smoke... but as long as they are smoking outside, I can handle it in most cases.

Nan

Cleveland, TN

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

Please let me know if I missed anyone or if a payment was sent but not received.

Here's the list so far:

1. Mary - PIF
    2. Karla - dep received
    3. Karla's DH - dep received
    4. Susan - dep received
    5. Susan's DH - dep received
    6. Beth - paid in full
    7. Beth's DH - paid in full
    8. Barbara - Paid in full
    9. Mimi - Paid in full
    10. Mimi's DH - Paid in full
    11. Nan - dep received
    12. Carolyn Floyd - dep received
    13. Janis Lindsey - dep received
    14. Sue D. Ohio - dep received
    15. Sabrina - paid in full
    16. Andrea - dep received
    17. Nana - Paid in full
    18. Toni - teaching - comped.
    19. Juliana - dep received
    20. Leah - dep received
    21. Kathy Wray - Dep received
    22. Dianna - Dep received
    23. Jeri
    24. Geralyn
    25. Barb Hoffmann
    26. Diana - PIF
    27. Leslie
     Waiting list:

The dates are June 24-30, 2012. The retreat cabin costs $172.00 per person for the week. A deposit of $50.00 holds your place. The rest will be due not later than then end of March. Block exchange is 12.5" x 12.5" (finished 12x12) and is a pattern having something to do with your favorite or state flower. Check out the lodge here.

Top 100 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 981
    Points 24,590

A couple of items:

1. Smoking will be outside only. Currently there are 5 smokers who can room together downstairs as we have 2 rooms that hold 5 people (king bed, queen bed, long twin): Carolyn, Janis, Leslie, Barbara, and Nana. There are unsteep stairs inside and a ramp outside to get to the main floor where everything is happening. There is a room on the main floor that sleeps 2. If no one else needs to be there, I will share with Barbara.
    2. Feel free to team up for rooms (see below floor plan) and EMAIL me with your rooming requests. That way your requests won't get lost in the discussions.
    3. There are no bunk beds at all so no climbing (Thank you Sara!)
    4. Nan's room will have a fan so if someone can't sleep with a small fan going, let me know so I don't set you up together.
    5. I will be happy to teach knitting and/or crocheting during the week.
    6. Gini is coming for a couple/three days. That makes 24 for blocks which makes for a very large, even quilt. I think it's going to be fun!
    7. There is a laundry room for washing clothes/fabric. I'll bring some detergent/fabric softener with me.
    8. I will be working on a schedule for the week but everyone is welcome to do their own thing at all times. I'm sure some will want to hike and sight see as this is a beautiful area.

Below are the floor plans. Feel free to team up for rooms. As you can see, the bottom floor sleeps 25 with 5 to 6 sharing a bathroom. You can decide amongst yourselves who will bathe in the morning and who will bathe in the evening. Tuesday we will be going to town to shop hop so that will be the only day when we will be fighting over the bathrooms to get makeup and stuff done. The men will be going with my hubby to his shooting club that day so I figured that would work out well.

• Post Points: 35
    Top 100 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 981
    Points 24,590

Preliminary schedule:

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Arrive after 3 pm

10am-12 Class

10am - Shop hop

10am-12 Class

Fishing

Pack up & Check out

Quilting

Settling-in day

1pm - 3 pm Class taught by Nana Thread painting

Men going shooting with Mary's DH

1pm-3pm - Class taught by Mary Hand quilting

Knitting/crochet class after lunch

BBQ hosted by Mary & DH & Sara

Dinner -

Dinner - Eat Out?

Lasagna dinner - Mary

Dinner -

Dinner - Out? Theater? In?

As you can see, there are lots of free times and Friday has not been scheduled at all. Sara has a friend who will teach a class for us, if we'd like (and who's going to turn that down?) There are at least 2 dinners open for you all to sign up  for cooking. Anyone not wishing to cook (or know we would not wish them to cook) can be on the clean up crew. If we choose to eat in on Tuesday and Friday, that makes 4 dinners. Hubby and I are doing Sunday (with some help from Sara) and I am doing Wednesday. Email me with your cooking group when finalized.

Feel free to offer suggestions for things to do. Our machines/quilting stations will be set up in the dining/meeting room on Sunday and left for the duration so quilting/sewing can be done at any time, day or night.

Top 500 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 84
    Points 2,115
    Leah replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 6:07 PM

I have no preference on where I sleep, but I snore, :) just wanted to warn you all.  Also I am up for cooking one night for everyone. 

Leah

Not Ranked
    Posts 21
    Points 365
    dkring replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 7:03 PM

I would really be interested in visiting the Titanic.  This is something I have been wanting to do.  I think it would be more fun going with others. 

Dianna

Top 200 Contributor
    Posts 371
    Points 6,710

Hi Mary,

I am a smoker as well and need to sleep with a fan.  I see that the smokers room is full which is also the room with the fan.  I have no preference as to who I room with though I would prefer a twin bed as I am a tosser.  Please find me a home. Thanks.

Andrea

Top 500 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 84
    Points 2,115
    Leah replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 6:46 PM

I will be driving in from Virgina, so if anyone out this way would like to carpool I will pick you up. Send me a message.

Leah

Top 50 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 2,452
    Points 40,765
    Mimi replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 10:15 PM

Mary,

DH and I are non smokers.  We would love to help cook an evening meal so anyone out there who would like to join us just let me know. I don't know any of you personally so just friend me and we can work something out.  And lastly, we can climb stairs.  Slowly but we can.  LOL  Also I know how to knit and crochet and would love to help if you need any.  Just say the word.  I used to co-teach fifth and sixth graders, The Knit Wits Club, at our elementary school.  It's just like FMQ...it just takes lots of practice.

Top 100 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 981
    Points 24,590

dkring:

I would really be interested in visiting the Titanic.  This is something I have been wanting to do.  I think it would be more fun going with others. 

Dianna

I haven't seen it either. Perhaps Friday? I'd love to do that.

Top 10 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 19,778
    Points 248,014
    Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:57 AM

Mimi I can help with cooking , Just let me know what you need form me ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 2,452
    Points 40,765
    Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 7:14 PM

Barbara:
    Mimi I can help with cooking

Thanks Barbara.  I was thinking of a crock pot or casserole with chicken?  I have some friends bringing me some ideas.  And I also have a great ham and rice casserole.  I guess as the time gets closer we can figure all this out.  How many are we cooking for?  Did I count 30 +?  I guess if we are making 24 squares there will be at least that many.  I'll send you a friend request so we don't clog up the airways.  thanks again Barbara.  You're the best.

Page 4 of 56 (840 items) «Prev23456Next»
    | RSS
    Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
    By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use