Smoky Mountains Retreat, June 24-30, 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 839 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Unfortunately, Anita had to cancel due to family obligations. I'll miss meeting her. We have 1 opening.

Here's the list so far:

1. Mary - PIF
  2. Karla - dep received
  3. Karla's DH - dep received
  4. Susan - dep received
  5. Susan's DH - dep received
  6. Beth - paid in full
  7. Beth's DH - paid in full
  8. Barbara - Paid in full
  9. Mimi - Paid in full
  10. Mimi's DH - Paid in full
  11. Nan - dep received
  12. Carolyn Floyd - dep received
  13. Janis Lindsey - dep received
  14. Sue D. Ohio - dep received
  15. Sabrina - paid in full
  16. Andrea - dep received
  17. Nana - Paid in full
  18. Toni - teaching - comped.
  19. Juliana - dep received
  20. Leah - dep received
  21. Kathy Wray
  22. Dianna
  23. Jeri
  24. Geralyn
  25. Barb Hoffmann
 Waiting list:

The dates are June 24-30, 2012. The retreat cabin costs $172.00 per person for the week. A deposit of $50.00 holds your place. The rest will be due not later than then end of March. Block exchange is 12.5" x 12.5" (finished 12x12) and is a pattern having something to do with your favorite or state flower.

• Post Points: 20
    Top 200 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 374
    Points 9,355
    Nan replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 3:37 PM

I probably missed this but did you actually get to see Sara's cabin? Is it confirmed this is where  we will be? What did the final price turn out to be?

Nan

Top 100 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 986
    Points 24,705

I will be seeing it this coming week as Sara will be in town then. 

• Post Points: 5
    Top 100 Contributor
    Female
    Posts 986
    Points 24,705

I'm adding Leslie to the list as I am fine sleeping on a futon. Please let me know if there are any mistakes on this list.

Here's the list so far:

1. Mary - dep received
    2. Karla - dep received
    4. Susan - dep received
    6. Beth - paid in full
    9. Mimi - Paid in full
    11. Nan - dep received
    17. Nana - Paid in full
    20. Leah - dep received
    21. Kathy Wray - Dep received
    22. Dianna - Dep received
    23. Jeri
    24. Geralyn
    25. Barb Hoffmann
    26. Diane
    27. Leslie
     Waiting list:

The dates are June 24-30, 2012. The retreat cabin costs $172.00 per person for the week. A deposit of $50.00 holds your place. The rest will be due not later than then end of March. Block exchange is 12.5" x 12.5" (finished 12x12) and is a pattern having something to do with your favorite or state flower.

Top 100 Contributor
      Female
      Posts 986
      Points 24,705

Here's the list so far:

1. Mary - PIF
      2. Karla - dep received
      4. Susan - dep received
      6. Beth - paid in full
      9. Mimi - Paid in full
      11. Nan - dep received
      17. Nana - Paid in full
      20. Leah - dep received
      21. Kathy Wray - Dep received
      22. Dianna - Dep received
      23. Jeri
      24. Geralyn
      25. Barb Hoffmann
      26. Diana - PIF
      27. Leslie
       Waiting list:

The dates are June 24-30, 2012. The retreat cabin costs $172.00 per person for the week. A deposit of $50.00 holds your place. The rest will be due not later than then end of March. Block exchange is 12.5" x 12.5" (finished 12x12) and is a pattern having something to do with your favorite or state flower. Check out the lodge here.

Diana and I met with Sara to see the lodge. It is perfect. While it doesn't have the mountain views of the other cabin, it has a view of the lake and it's a very woodsy setting. I think you all will love it. The big selling point is a 1200 sq ft room we can set up our machines in and keep them set up for the duration of the retreat. In the other cabin, this would have been difficult to do and we would have been all over the house. Also, the parking at the other place was limited. At Sara's lodge, we have lots of room...plenty for all the vehicles we could bring.

We have rooms for each couple. We have 2 rooms that will sleep 5 in each room (1 king, 1 queen, 1 long twin). There is also a room on the main floor for 2 (king bed) that will be good for those who cannot comfortably go up and down the stairs. There is a ramp for both floors but they are outside. There is also a futon as well as a couple of sofas on the main floor. I don't plan on having to use them as there will be enough beds for everyone but if more than 2 need same floor access, it's an option.

DH is planning to BBQ burgers & dogs for Sunday's dinner since folks will be coming in at different times and it will be simple to nuke for the late comers. Sara offered to provide some sides for us. I will also be bringing an Italian Dinner for one night (lasagna, salad, garlic bread). We have 4 other nights that you all can get together to provide a meal in groups of 5 or 6. As for breakfast and lunch, I thought we could just all bring what we enjoy in the way of breakfast food, snacks, drinks, and lunch stuff and share it all. Dishes and utensils will be provided but if anyone wants to bring some paper products for snacks and small meals, that would be great. Again, whatever is brought will be put together and shared.

Alcohol is certainly allowed but should be enjoyed in a way that doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of others. I'm sure we are a diverse group and some do not drink at all while others, like me, enjoy a glass of wine in the evening sometimes. While I'm all for having fun and getting silly, I promise not to drink to obnoxiousness. 

I will provide coffee and tea as well as sweeteners and creamers. If you enjoy anything special in your coffee/tea, please feel free to bring it.

As for room assignments, if you want to pair up for a bed, let me know. If you need the main floor, let me know. Please reserve that for those who NEED main floor rooms, not just prefer them. Actually, the lower floor will be less noisy to sleep in. If there are 5 who wish to room together, let me know and I will assign one of those rooms to your group. There are also a couple of 3 person rooms.

Tables will be table height so if you need cushions to keep from getting cricks in your back or neck, please bring them. Once space has been claimed in the sewing room, it is yours for the week and I'm sure we will all respect each others' sewing space.

I am going to set up a schedule for the week. I'm thinking my DH can take the other DH's shooting and fishing on Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday we will go into town (for those who want to) and hit the two quilt shops. Iva has said she will have something special for us when we get to her shop. We also have great outlet malls and stores in the area if anyone wants to branch out after the visit to the quilt shops.

As many of you have seen by the brochures I sent, there are lots of things to do in the area. There are dinner shows as well as local attractions (Titanic museum might be fun) and just plain hokey fun stuff to do. There is also hiking in the Park as well as walking/running trails in the area of the lodge. Groups and couples can opt out of anything we do at the lodge to do their own thing. Don't feel like you must be glued to your sewing machine all week, unless you want to be, of course.

Feel free to bring any other fiber arts, games, books or whatever you wish to do while here. I'm bringing my knitting as that is what I do while drinking my morning coffee. I just want you all to enjoy yourselves, relax, and take in this beautiful area.

• Post Points: 35
        Top 200 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 374
        Points 9,355
        Nan replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:58 PM

Mary,

I need to be able to run the small electric fan I take places with me. It i not very noisy just sorts a constant hum, and to be able to get to bathroom during the night and not j=hurt me or anyone lese.

I would like to request that is if any of you make home made periogies, I would love to have some and would gladdly re-imburse any costs, otherwise I will be bringing a few boxes since Diana got me addicted to them. I take mine with cheese and sour cream.I was planning on baking some assorted muffins, if any would be interested for breakfast of a snack.

My son has requested that week off but will not know for a few weeks if he gets approved, if not I will start looking for a babysitter.

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 27,741
        Points 436,715
        Nana replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:29 PM

Mary

Just an FYI....  when you do bed / room assignments just remember that I smoke.   I think Leslie and Barbara do as well.   You may want to put us in the same room just in cause it would be offensive to anyone.   I really don't care which floor you put me on.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 11,657
        Points 136,092
        Leslie replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 5:30 AM

Mary, Idon't care what floor either, but as nana , said we smoke so we can room together, but I don't think barbara, can do stairs

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 20,080
        Points 251,824
        Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:00 AM

Mary I to smoke, I did request a lower room but if there are not to many stairs I can do that ,I think that is a good idea to put us smokers in the same room .then we will not bother anyone with are smoke smell LOL   ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 986
        Points 24,705

Barbara:

Mary I to smoke, I did request a lower room but if there are not to many stairs I can do that ,I think that is a good idea to put us smokers in the same room .then we will not bother anyone with are smoke smell LOL   ..Barbara

The lower level is where the beds are. The main floor is where all the activity will take place...sewing, classes, eating. We have a bedroom on the main floor we can put two in. Can't remember if there is a futon in that room to add another person. Sara?

There is a ramp from the downstairs to the upstairs but it is outside. That would eliminate the stairs if that helps. If we get no others with stair problems, we can find space for the 3 of you on the main floor or I will share a room with a smoker. Doesn't bother me that much...but then I just quit in October!

Please let me know if there are any other special needs as far as stairs go. Please remember there is a ramp. The stairs inside are not very steep or tall.

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 27,741
        Points 436,715
        Nana replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:14 PM

Mary

If anyone is interested I could do a demonstration on thread painting.  It is much easier than it looks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 11,657
        Points 136,092
        Leslie replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:08 PM

Nana, after looking at your thread painting, i want to learn

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 986
        Points 24,705

Sounds wonderful, Nana. 

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 11,657
        Points 136,092
        Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:46 PM

Mary, if I bring some yarn and needles will you try to teach me how to knit?  I use to be able to do a little not much, my mom tried to teach me how to crochet, but she said I was hopeless LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
        Female
        Posts 28,639
        Points 418,679
        gini replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 11:19 PM

Leslie :

Mary, if I bring some yarn and needles will you try to teach me how to knit?  I use to be able to do a little not much, my mom tried to teach me how to crochet, but she said I was hopeless LOL

Not hopeless, incorrigible

gini in north idaho

Page 3 of 56 (840 items) Prev12345Next»
        | RSS
        Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
        By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use