2014 Oregon Coast Retreat Nov 2-7

rated by 0 users
This post has 157 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:
We really can't afford the trip due to medical bills but we need it as a mental health trip!  I won't be spending money but I sure look forward to all the hugs!

I'm with you Maggie!!  Hubby's health problems and surgeries this year are making me think twice about the retreat because of those medical bills. But, he insists we go,so who am I to refuse. LOL

I'm really looking forward to it. Normally, I'm able to pick up at the airport but we're going down on Friday and not coming back until the following weekend. Plus 2 dogs in the car. I'm sure it won't be a problem for you to get a ride. Last year there were plenty of people able to give rides.

Worse comes to worse there is a shuttle from the Portland airport to Lincoln City.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,464
gini replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:58 AM

Maggie, they have great wine in Oregon.   you can only fly with it in your check on bags and I wouldn't want to risk it breaking.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,464
gini replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:00 PM

I think I am flying to Portland and having sam pick me up. he'll be there for a conference.   i'll let everyone know what our travel plans are as soon as I know. 

last year the folks driving brought quilts for a show and tell. I enjoyed it and wondered if we wanted to do it again this year?

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

Yes, Gini, let's do the Show and Tell again. I really want to see your Iris quilt. I'll bring the 2011 retreat quilt. Assuming I have finished quilting it! Which I will. I will.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Thanks Judy for the shuttle info. I will check it out. DH said the other day he didn't know if we would be able to afford for both of us to go to Oregon. I told him he was going if I had to hog tie him and stuff in luggage. LOL. I also think he's nervous about not having anything in common with the other DHs. He's kinda a walk on the beach, visit a mountain, fishing, go to historical sites, motorcycle, Apple computer guy. That pretty much sums him up. ROTFL. Do any of the DHs plan special activities?  

Oh, I forgot to mention, if he and Sam find a mutual topic, Gini and I will just have to sip on wine because we won't be able to get a word in to save us. LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 9:33 AM

.... I also think he's nervous about not having anything in common with the other DHs. .... Do any of the DHs plan special activities?  

Maggie, I think my DH feels the same way. He's a golfer so he's hoping to get some golf in. Does anyone else's husband golf? Even if you are flying in, let me know. Though I must say, I've never seen my DH meet a stranger.

We've got a lot on our plate for this fall in that we have to prepare our old house for sale. That means a lot of work for me but I think after all we have gone through this past week that we have decided the trip to Oregon is our trip to ourselves.

As for Show and Tell, I give most of mine away as soon as I finish it. One of these days I'll keep something!

Otherwise, I think I am bringing a kit or two to work on so that I don't have to pack as much in the car along with my sewing machine and the golf clubs and necessities like clothes of course.

I am so looking forward to meeting so many of you and seeing some of you again.

Hugs to everyone! (Hint: This is one case when I may need one back! LOL!)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

Hugs will be waiting for you Roxana. My hubby is the opposite to yours. He's shy in crowds and around people he doesn't know. Doesn't play golf. He will probably spend time walking our dogs, reading, writing maybe do some cartooning. He likes to play penny poker, if someone wants to put a game together. He loves history and wildlife and is a news junkie.  When he meets someone who likes to discuss those things, with a bit of humor, he's a happy boy. 

Only 3-1/2 more months!!!

i hope Patti's home will be OK. She posted on the other forum and on FB they had to evacuate because of the wildfires. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Judy, it sounds like your DH and mine might hit it off!  DH is also a news junkie but prefers to get his news from foreign news sources. He says they report things that US news never reports. My DH is also former Navy. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Gals, maybe we should get our DHs to share email addresses so they can get to know one another. 😊

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

OMG Maggie. George also prefers foreign news. And for the same reasons.  Yours is ex Navy? Well George is ex Marine 1958-1962.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

Gals, maybe we should get our DHs to share email addresses so they can get to know one another. 😊

George might correspond by email although he doesn't often check his email (then he mumbles about no one emailing him!). Oh wait! I know. He has a blog although he hasn't written in it for some time. But if you want to roll around in my husband's satiric brain, check out his blog. He also has some of his cartoons there. 

http://www.notesbygat.blogspot.com/

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Judy, I will take a purruse his blog and pass it on to DH. Roger was in from 70-76 so there is a 10 year difference but I'm sure that won't hinder Roger. In fact, most of his friends that like to discuss news are older than him.  Sometimes when he's discussing things with me I have a hard time telling if he's serious.  LOL. He just throws things in there to see if I will react. ROTFL  Now he says "did you know" and I say "yes, I heard it on NPR on the way to work."  LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,464
gini replied on Fri, Jul 25 2014 1:31 AM

sam is bringing his golf clubs. he won't be working for a change,  he'll have time to play.  he is so looking forward to this trip.   he has the news on continually but not foreign news.   we have limited tv  and radio stations, though he's negotiating more stations for our community.. we're talking about driving to branson from Oregon, he thought it would make a nice road trip, I hope we don't run into a bunch of snow.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 11:50 AM

I am dropping out of the Oregon retreat this year.  I was in Unit 7 in a private room without a roommate.  There is an opening for another person now.

I sent a private message to Patti on QATW.  She may have a waiting list.

I hope everyone has a great time.

Quiltless

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 7:23 AM

Got some catching up on messages to do.  Hope to do so this morning.  While we have had a couple cancellations, we did over book, so am doing some reshuffling with rooms.  Will let everyone know if there are openings later.  

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 10 of 11 (158 items) «Prev7891011Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use