BIG RETREAT BRANSON MISSOURI FEB. 23rd. THRU MARCH 1st ,2014: Hostess Barbara and the Stone Castle Hotel

rated by 0 users
This post has 658 Replies | 32 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 9:13 PM

Nancy,  I'm going to be driving a full size converted van.  If we go somewhere while in Branson, I can take 6 people besides me driving.  Tons of room for anything we get.

Diana in East TN

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 11:46 PM

Maggie

When was your checked mailed.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 11:48 PM

I am so ready for this retreat.   It seems like a lifetime since I have seen some of you.   Can hardly wait.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:09 PM

Any thoughts about going to a show or 2??

http://www.bransonshows.com/bransonShows.cfm

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 4:33 PM

Will there be a give-away table like we had in the Smoky's?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

Debbie-do:

Will there be a give-away table like we had in the Smoky's?

According to Nana, yes - there will be a give away table.  I'm gathering up a few things to bring. 

She is also going to let me bring some fabric to sell.  I have some 108" backing and tone on tone 54" cotton in various lengths.  I usually sell it on the Quilting Board, but Nana was kind enough to let me bring some to the retreat. 

As to individual gifts, what kinds of things are usually done?  I need some inspiration -- otherwise everyone will end up with a dozen charm squares.  Which of course, could be gambled away! <grin>

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:29 PM

I say charm squares!!  I don't have any for the games!! Can't wait to meet our new friends!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 7:07 PM

I can't speak to"usually" because I've only been on one qca retreat.  Only one person did charm squares!  There were mug rugs and a mug, bag tags, scrap catchers, shopping bags, pens, note pads, candy and I don't remember what else. 

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 7:54 PM

Brigit, we love candy also!! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 8:39 PM

Brigit-Carol:
As to individual gifts, what kinds of things are usually done?

I want to remind everyone that there's no need to stress over individual gifts.  Plan, cut, and pack your own quilting projects, cut and tie your poker strips, make or buy one nice exchange gift, and get plenty of rest before the fun begins.

After you've been to a few of these retreats, it gets harder to come up with a unique idea for individual gifts, and it's difficult for some to have enough time to get 20+ gifts made.  Please take it easy on yourself.  Retreat preparations should be fun and stress-free.  

When we started the nicer exchange gift idea, it was intended to take the place of individual gifts.  You'll notice that sewing exchange blocks went by the wayside, too.

(...there's my 2 cents for the day)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 12,865

Nana:

Maggie

When was your checked mailed.

Thanks for the pm. I see you received my check. Whew, I was getting worried. Now I'm ready to gather my stuff. 😊

Men:  do any of the hubbys have plans for activities. Roger was asking. He's a little skeptical about quilt retreats. I told him he would surely find at least one of the hubbys to pal around with while we sew.  He likes to be on the go all the time. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

MNnancy:

Brigit-Carol:
As to individual gifts, what kinds of things are usually done?

I want to remind everyone that there's no need to stress over individual gifts.  Plan, cut, and pack your own quilting projects, cut and tie your poker strips, make or buy one nice exchange gift, and get plenty of rest before the fun begins.

After you've been to a few of these retreats, it gets harder to come up with a unique idea for individual gifts, and it's difficult for some to have enough time to get 20+ gifts made.  Please take it easy on yourself.  Retreat preparations should be fun and stress-free.  

When we started the nicer exchange gift idea, it was intended to take the place of individual gifts.  You'll notice that sewing exchange blocks went by the wayside, too.

(...there's my 2 cents for the day)

Thank you -- I think your advice is worth 4 cents with inflation and all.  <grin>  And I know the token gifts are optional so there is no pressure on anyone to make/bring them.  But thanks for clarifying.  I am almost finished with the larger gift and am happy with the way it is turning out. 

Brigit-Carol

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 660
Mary T replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 11:02 AM

Maggie and others:     I was trying to provide some links but I don't know what happened to my message.   So I'll just sum it up -

I used to live in Branson and attended college there, so I'm well familiar with the area if anyone needs ideas or suggestions.  For men:  There's the premiere Bass Pro Shop in Springfield (35 minutes north on Hwy 65)  that has a wonderful gun and archery museum - figure in about 5 hours to spend time there.  

At the College of the Ozarks in Branson/Pt Lookout, there's the Ralph Foster Museum which is 3 floors of Ozark history, including the first Beverly Hillbillies' Car; really good for an afternoon.    there's also baseball games at the College on the 25th at noon and on the 28th at 3pm.    There's a working flour mill, greenhouses, a complete Dairy, the gorgeous Chapel and of course Point Lookout to see.   (there's also the infamous Pt Lookout airport at the College, where the Southwest jet tried to land by accident a few weeks ago)   The Keeter center has a lodge atmosphere - it's really nice.  There's also a Fruitcake/jelly kitchen but most of the men don't care about that.

One should always drive the Dam road - circles Branson and environs and has fabulous views.  There's always fishing - all year round in Taneycomo.   Branson itself has some great antique-y stores, fun to browse...there are some riverboat cruises that do the lakes.  There's a mall right down on Taneycomo called the Branson landing which has gotten quite popular, everyone should see the fountains there (don't know if they will be in operation in Feb. though).  There are some shows which stay open all year round - I see that the Dixie Stampede is open on the 28th at 530pm.  (but those of you from TN probably don't want to see that!)    if you use the bransonshows.com website you can put in the dates you'll be in town and see what shows are coming up that week.  

If I can help anyone, please let me know!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 4:56 PM

Wow Mary, I don't know if Randy and Larry found half of this last year.

I do remember that they went to a Titanic museum.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 12,865

Thanks Mary. I know Roger will want to spend a day at Bass Pro. If he could fish he'd be in heaven. LOL  I think he'd also like the Ozark Museum. I will send him your suggestions and maybe he could get at least one other hubby to pal around with him. I know he will want to shoot the breeze sine he grew up in Motley. 😊

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 32 of 44 (659 items) «Prev3031323334Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use