BIG RETREAT BRANSON MISSOURI FEB. 23rd. THRU MARCH 1st ,2014: Hostess Barbara and the Stone Castle Hotel

rated by 0 users
This post has 658 Replies | 32 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 745
Sew cat replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:26 AM

Don't forget swimsuits, there's a pool! I'm bringing cookies for all, my serge protector, chair, iron, cutting board too. I have at least 27 UFOs to pick from to bring :). Ha. 

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 745
Sew cat replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:29 AM

What do we need for strip poker game? A jelly roll ? Never did one. Thanks 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 2:29 PM

There are plenty of ironing boards and even irons from the rooms.   The hotel also sets up an octopus with lots of extension cords for us.  Some of us bring the smaller table lights for extra lighting at our work areas.     We do need a few large cutting mats and rulers.   Also rotary cutters.   We usually set up a couple of cutting stations and share supplies.   Make sure you put your name on anything you bring to share.    We also need some people to bring design walls.  

For strip poker  you will need 75  2 1/2in strips.   Last year we cut our strips in half to make 22 in strips.   For  LRC  you will need 3 charm squares.   If you want to play more than one game of LRC  you will need  3 charm squares per game.

I will try to think of all the things we need over the next few days and make a list for people to signup to bring.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,524
gini replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:13 PM

The small quilt shop just up the road from the hotel is closed.  Dang.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:29 PM

Gini, was hoping to run by the hotel this afternoon when I finished teaching in Springfield but had to get to airport and not a great driver in this snow. But it is pretty. I did find 2 quilt stores in Springfield yesterday and they are lovely. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 4:34 PM

Michelle:
when I finished teaching in Springfield but had to get to airport and not a great driver in this snow

Oh no, our Texas quilter had to drive in the snow!  That couldn't have been fun!  What were you teaching, Michelle?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 4:56 PM

Nana:
For strip poker  you will need 75  2 1/2in strips.   Last year we cut our strips in half to make 22 in strips.

Newcomers, please don't use a good jelly roll for this!  These strips get all jumbled up during our play.  You may arrive with 75 strips and go home with 20 strips or if you're lucky, go home with 200 strips, but they likely won't be the same ones you brought and they won't be color coordinated.  Go through your scrap baskets and cut your 75 2-1/2 inch by 22 inch strips from your scraps.  Roll and tie each one so it's easy to handle at the table.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:29 PM

Nancy, just went back and looked at all the pics from Branson   what fun lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:31 PM

MNnancy:

Oh dear, I was wrapping mine and securing them with rubber bands. Do I need to tie ribbons around them?

What is the LRC?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:19 PM

Rubber bands are just fine, Roxana!

LRC is Left-Right-Center, a simple to learn and play dice game.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 745
Sew cat replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:19 PM

Another question/ suggestion. Any chance we could do a jelly roll quilt race one day at retreat?  I've always wanted to do one and I missed the guilds meeting where they did one. Everyone really seemed to like it. We could use scraps or a jelly roll. I'm in for The strip poker and LRC game. I've played the LRC one night, we were so tired and laughed so much, we were getting our rights and lefts wrong! Ha 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:21 PM

Leslie :
just went back and looked at all the pics from Branson   what fun

...and what a lot of trouble you got into for someone who only stayed a few days!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:24 PM

Carol:
Any chance we could do a jelly roll quilt race one day at retreat?

I know exactly what quilt design you are talking about and I've watched quilters sew those, but funny that it never occurred to me that it's called "race" because some people actually treat it as such.  It would be fun to watch a few of you go at it!  We'll have to come up with a prize!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:44 PM

MNnancy:

Rubber bands are just fine, Roxana!

LRC is Left-Right-Center, a simple to learn and play dice game.

That's good. If anyone needs extra strips I think I have way more than 75. Just let me know and I'll bring some for you. I find it relaxing to roll up those half strips! 

Left-Right-Center sounds like fun too. And you only need THREE charm squares?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 745
Sew cat replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:56 PM

Last Spring at a retreat when we played LRC - we each had brought about 30- 40 charm squares, and we played a long time. It was late evening, we were all eating tons Of chocolate and were laughing so hard. It's a really fun, fast time. I was lucky, I left with more charm squares than I came with. And about 2 lbs heavier too. 

Page 20 of 44 (659 items) «Prev1819202122Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use