BIG RETREAT BRANSON MISSOURI FEB. 23rd. THRU MARCH 1st ,2014: Hostess Barbara and the Stone Castle Hotel

rated by 0 users
This post has 658 Replies | 32 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,666
Points 120,350

Roxana:
So I need "learning how to play poker" to my retreat list of things to do?

Nope, no knowledge needed. Below are the rules (also posted on my QCA blog)

Quilters Strip Poker

At the Branson retreat we played a fun game called Quilters Strip Poker. You don't need to know anything about Poker to play this, nor do you "strip", at least not with your clothes. It uses 2-1/2" strips of fabric cut from fat quarters so they are 2-1/2" x about 20". Or you could use a jelly roll and cut each strip in half.

Quilter's Strip Poker using Fat Quarters
From fat quarters cut strips 2-1/2 inch wide. It is suggested that each player start out with between 75-100. Roll each strip into a tight roll and secure with rubber bands. This is only a suggestion but it sure helps during the game.. 
To maintain fairness, each player will have the same number of opportunities to deal. Dealer deals out 5 cards to each of the players at the table. Dealer does not deal to herself. Cards are placed face-up on the table in front of the players. From this hand, 5 games will be played:
Double deck works best for more than 4 players, or even triple deck.

Game 1 – POKER HAND
All players ante up one strip to play. Player with the best poker hand takes all strips. Winning hands following in ranked order:
Royal flush – A, K, Q, J, 10 is the highest straight flush.
Straight flush – 5 cards in sequential ranking order and in the same suit
Four-of-a-kind
Full house – Three-of-a-kind and a pair
Flush – Five cards in the same suit is a flush
Straight – Five cards in numerical sequence of any suit
Three-of-a-kind
Two Pair
One Pair

Game 2 – PUT IN – Dealer turns up 5 cards, one at a time.
In this game, players will ante up strips when they have a card that matches one of the next 5 cards the dealer turns up. The number of strips to be anted up depends on the order in which the dealer turns over the card that matches – the number paid in increases with each card flipped. If a player has multiples of a number, they must pay in multiples.
Example:
Dealer turns, face up, one at a time, 5 cards
1st  card, a 3 – players with 3’s ante 1 strip for each 3 in their hand
2nd card is a 4 – players with 4’s ante 2 strips for each
3rd card is a 9 – players with 9’s ante 3 strips for each
4th card is a 5 – players with 5’s ante 4 strips for each 5 in their hand
5th card is a Jack – players with Jacks ante 5 strips for each Jack in their hand

Game 3 – TAKE OUT
This game works in the reverse of the PUT IN. The number of strips to be taken out depends on the order in which the dealer turns over the card that matches – the number taken out increases with each card flipped. If a player has multiples of a number, they may take out in multiples. 
Example: 1st card the dealer turns up is a 3 – players with 3’s take 1 strip out of the pot for each 3 in their hand
Repeat until dealer has turned up 5 cards.
If there are not enough strips in the pot to take out, the dealer must pay any owed out of her own stash to make up the difference. If there are strips left over in the pot, the dealer gets to keep them.

Game 4 – BINGO-This is where it’s easier if the strips have been tightly rolled.
In this game, the dealer will flip over cards and players will place 1 strip on each card they have that matches the flipped card until all cards are covered with at least one strip. If the same number comes up again, players continue to place strips on that card, building up a potentially large pile.
Player to first cover all cards and yell, “Bingo,” wins all strips from the bingo game. In the case of a tie, strips will be divided equally.

Game 5 – DEALER COUNTS
This is an opportunity for the dealer to win big. The dealer will flip 10 cards. If the number on the face of the card matches the position in which it was flipped, all players must pay the dealer the number of strips on the face.
Example: 1st card the dealer turns is a 1 – players pay 1 strip to the dealer
2nd card is a 4 – players pay nothing
3rd, is a 3 – players pay 3 strips to the dealer, etc. (that’s 3 strips for every 3 in a player’s hand)
4-9 if card is a face card, players pay nothing.
10th card, if players have either face cards or a ten, they pay 10 strips to the dealer.

Start over with a new dealer and continue until everyone at the table takes a turn as dealer.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,830
Points 31,860
Roxana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:22 PM

Thanks, Judy, but game 1 looks a lot like the poker I see on tv. Do you mainly play the other games?

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,666
Points 120,350

Roxana:

Thanks, Judy, but game 1 looks a lot like the poker I see on tv. Do you mainly play the other games?

Roxana, it's all one game. There are several rounds where the dealer lays down cards. When the rounds are completed the deal passes to the next person until everyone has had a chance to be dealer. It may look complicated because of so many steps but it's really very simple and lots of fun.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:22 PM

Roxana

You will catch on really quickly when we start playing.  I know nothing about playing real poker and caught on to this very fast.   It is a lot of fun.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 3:45 AM

Roxana by the time we get to playing ,we are all laughing so much it gets all messed up anyway ,but really is lots of fun.LOL 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 11:46 AM

How many of you going to Branson are taking your Featherweight with you...I heard maybe there will be a class on maintenance for these!  Would love to have that included!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 2:18 PM

Deb

I haven't decided yet which machine I will bring.  It will partly depend on which projects I decide to bring.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 2:37 PM

i have a message out to nova montgomery, about the featherweight class.  she lives about 8 hours away from branson.   i need a solid number of how many will take the class if she is available.  i know you can't give an answer until you know the cost,  but i need an idea of how many will actually take the class if it is reasonably priced.  what do you all think is reasonable?   it will be at least three days of her time.  she also gives a class on making a quilt with your featherweight???  any interest in this?   i prefer to work on my own projects, but i could be persuaded to take a class if there was enough interest. 

i have asked her how much the class would be and offered her a room for the nights she is there. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I have no idea what a reasonable price would be. I think it shouldn't be over $20 for a 2. or 3 hour class. At our shop most of our machine classes are that price. I am interested in doing it if it is reasonable.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:02 PM

Gini

I would be willing to do a maintenance class but I don't really want a quilt class.  And I tend to agree with Elaine.  The price shouldn't be more than $20 to $30.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 9:17 PM

I just checked her website, and it looks like her class usually costs $65.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 12:31 AM

i think the maintanence class is half a day or more.   i don't think you could do that class in less than 4 hours. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 530

I would be interested in the class for $20. or $30.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:55 AM

Nana, I'm just reading the posts and am at this point in reading. I understand the costs. I'm hoping Rod can come down a day or 2 or 3 as he did last year. Therefore, I do not mind paying the $400 and hope we can go down a day early as we did last year.  I am sure I mailed the $100 to Nancy in August. It's good catching up as I have certainly not been on QCA this year .....remember I'm SoBuzy!!!    ... But Branson Babes, I can't believe you couldn't find me!    Nancy, is anyone coming up with a new little project like you had last year?? That was too fun! Haven't even given one thought as to what tents I will be making this year....until then it's a surprise to all of you...and ME!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:10 AM

Mary, I am bringing my ironing board and iron...last year it was just that...a board but I like a really solid surface.! The hotel irons are not quite as hot as we like but I am sure that is for safety reasons....designer walls were discussed that was needed more the next round so I'm hoping to remember to throw one in...the risers should be floating around somewhere from last year....

Page 12 of 44 (659 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use