BIG RETREAT BRANSON MISSOURI FEB. 23rd. THRU MARCH 1st ,2014: Hostess Barbara and the Stone Castle Hotel

rated by 0 users
This post has 658 Replies | 32 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 671
Points 12,810
Michelle replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:04 PM

Yes!!  Can't wait

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,575
Points 47,490
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:19 PM

You betcha! 

Will there be a block exchange as I've seen at other retreats or does that not work out so well?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:45 PM

Some of us who have been to many of these quilt retreats got tired of the block exchanges.  You can only have so many autographed quilts in your house.  Last year in Branson we did some little gifties for everyone and then one big gift for a gift exchange.  We also brought along jelly roll strips for strip poker and charms for Left-Right-Center.  And don't forget your swimsuit for the hot tub!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Is there a list of things we need to bring besides my Teddy (to keep me safe from Sir Sew A Lot) and my blanky?  Charm pack, jelly roll, little gifts, big gift?  In room assignments.....I snore, at least that's what my sister said.  I love hot tubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Will cut offs and a tshirt do?  (just kidding)

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:04 AM

Melody

We do bring a nice gift (wrapped) that we use as exchange gifts.   Also some people bring little gifts that they give to each attendee.  None of this is mandatory but that is what we have done in the past.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,830
Points 31,860
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:07 AM

MelodyP MO/KS:

Is there a list of things we need to bring besides my Teddy (to keep me safe from Sir Sew A Lot) and my blanky?  Charm pack, jelly roll, little gifts, big gift?  In room assignments.....I snore, at least that's what my sister said.  I love hot tubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Will cut offs and a tshirt do?  (just kidding)

Mel, I sleep with a quiet CPAP so I don't mind rooming with you. I would love to in fact if Nana and Barbara can arrange that! I can only hear myself breathe!

... I think Barbara will send out a list of things to bring as it gets closer. She still isn't up to working on the computer  or doing too much actually.  But I asked her back before the surgery about gifts and such. She said that those details would come later. It's my first retreat so I want to do it right! I'm so excited to get to meet everyone. .... So the big gift may not be necessary. Let's wait and see. She also said that some people bring little gifts so I don't think it's a requirement. However, if everyone else is bringing a small gift for everyone else, I want to be sure to also.

We also need to bring all our sewing stuff and projects. I'm going to cut out MQ8 and sew it while I am there. Nana said she would help me!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,830
Points 31,860
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:09 AM

Nana, are the nice gifts hand-made or bought? Are they all quilting related? I need to know what to be on the look-out for or work on! ... Can you put Mel and me together for roommates?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:40 AM

Roxana:
are the nice gifts hand-made or bought?

Many of the nice gifts were purchased - fabric, patterns, books, notions, etc.  And some were beautiful handmade items.   Lots of variety.  After we exchanged, I felt I hadn't contributed enough.  We were calling it a white elephant gift last year which had a whole other connotation to me.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,830
Points 31,860
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:49 AM

Nancy, I thought White Elephant items were like used items in your stash that you no longer want or need. If that's the same this year, we'll need a clarification.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 3:04 PM

Everyone

The "white elephant" gift is a new item either purchased or hand made such as table runners, place mats, patterns, FQs, etc that are wrapped.   Each person will have their name called and they get to choose a gift. 

The "little" gifts that people sometimes bring to give to everyone are things like mug rugs, candy, small pincushions, just little thinking about you gifts.   Not everyone does this and it isn't expected.

We will be doing the "white elephant" gifts as those are always enjoyed. 

If you have patterns or pieces of fabric or a tool that you no longer want those can be brought and laid on the table and can be picked up by anyone that thinks they can use it.

I hope this helps answer your questions.   If you need further clarification please ask and I will do my best to answer.

I don't think we have anyone flying into Branson so we shouldn't need machines to loan.   We do get those that have the room to bring a couple of large cutting mats.  We generally have people bring in various rulers and rotary cutters.   It is nice to have some bed risers to use on at least one of the cutting tables.   These type of things we ask that people volunteer to bring certain things.   We just make a list of what everyone is bringing so that we know we will have everything we need.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Roxana:
Mel, I sleep with a quiet CPAP so I don't mind rooming with you. I would love to in fact if Nana and Barbara can arrange that! I can only hear myself breathe!

DONE!  Great way to get to know each other better!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:08 PM

Please don't stress about doing little gifts for everyone.  If you have time that's great, but I know some of don't have as much free time.   These retreats are about getting to know each other and having fun.    No stressing allowed.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:20 PM

Nana:
The "white elephant" gift is a new item either purchased or hand made such as...

Not sure where the name "white elephant" came from for this gift exchange.  It's a quilting gift exchange plain and simple.  Don't get me wrong - I love the exchange!  It's just that last year I thought it meant to bring something I owned that i didn't really like for myself but thought someone else could use.  I had to check Google just now to see if my version of white elephant was out of line.  Here's one definition I found...

Traditionally, a "White Elephant" is something lying around the house that you don't want (some horridly ugly item that someone gave you as a gift or some other item unwanted for some reason). I am of the belief that in most parts of the country, if you tell someone to bring a White Elephant gift it will almost certainly be a gag gift and not something genuinely useful or desirable.

Can we just call ours a gift exchange to avoid confusion?

Thanks, Gini, for taking the stress off the mini-gifties.  I have an idea of what I'd like to make for the Oregon retreat coming up soon, but the question is whether I'll actually find the time to do it.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 287
Points 4,435

MNnancy:

Roxana:
are the nice gifts hand-made or bought?

Many of the nice gifts were purchased - fabric, patterns, books, notions, etc.  And some were beautiful handmade items.   Lots of variety.  After we exchanged, I felt I hadn't contributed enough.  We were calling it a white elephant gift last year which had a whole other connotation to me.

I felt like a piker, too. I just brought a book. It was the same book I had bought for myself and thought someone else might enjoy, but received a nice assortment of quilt items that made me smile. So I won't make that mistake again. There are so many new quilting notions, and gifts to make, so many people were much more clever then I.  But don't listen to MN Nancy, she brought fabric and instructions and helped us all make THE CUTEST pincushions. I need more imagination, lol.

MN Deb

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 695
Mary T replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 6:55 AM

Hi Nana -

I'll be driving down from Kansas City, and I'll have room - so if you need me to bring an extra machine (I have one I can bring that's for piecing, primarily), cutting mat and/or ironing board, just let me know.  I'll definitely be bringing an iron.   (The more we discuss this the more excited I get!)     Thanks for the clarification on the gift exchanges - when Michelle mentioned all these gifts I was a little worried.....with Christmas coming up I won't have time to make another 25 gifts!!  (I'm making 8 quilts just for Christmas.)

Mary T

Page 10 of 44 (659 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use