Smoky Mountain Retreat June 22 - 29, 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 601 Replies | 25 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590
MaryLeeHayden replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:45 AM | Locked

Here is the flyer for anyone who wants to post it at their favorite LQS or Guild:

7848.Flyer 2013 pdf.pdf

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 472
Points 8,795
Darlene replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:15 AM | Locked

Mary

Is there room for a couple? DH and I are thinking of trying to swing this?

Darlene (2manyhorses)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590
MaryLeeHayden replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:13 AM | Locked

There is room for a couple. We would love to have you both. Some other DH's have signed up.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 3:44 PM | Locked

Darlene:
DH and I are thinking of trying to swing this?

Oh that would be great Darlene.  My DH was asking if your DH was going to come.  And hopefully Beth W.'s DH will be there too.  Hope you can both make it.  How's the shoulder?  Also wanted to tell you I get so many compliments on my little pen from last year as I wear it on my name tag, ID badge lanyard.  Thanks so much.  It comes in handy when I have to sign papers at work.  Hope to see you soon.  :c )

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310
Brigit-Carol replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 12:45 PM | Locked

I'm pondering this. It's "only" 1050 miles and I've been hankering to take a road trip.  It would be two very long days of driving but I think manageable.  So... a few questions as I've never been on a quilting retreat before.

I figure I'll have two 10 hour driving days, so is it possible to arrive the day before and pay for an additional night?   Is the last date (29th), the day we leave or the last full day and we actually leave on the 30th?   I'm a very light sleeper and I know the rooms are all shared (which is fine), but is it possible to have a "non-snoring" room for light sleepers? (Don't laugh!  I spent a terribly painful three nights at a retreat with no sleep when in a room with a snorer -- I ended up at the ER when my heart went crazy due to exhaustion.)  Do we plan menus ahead of time so we know what food to bring for our time to cook or do we wing it as we go along?  Is wine permitted at the lodge?  OK - enuf crazy questions for now -- will probably have a ton if I decide to do this.

BTW, if I do sign up, my route will take me through Dallas, Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville.  If there's anyone along that route that wants to ride with me, I'll be glad of a partner.

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 2:20 PM | Locked

Brigit=Carol:  You definitely should come, you would have a ball!  I have gone twice now and I also drive 2 days coming from Florida.  I usually plan so I arrive the day before also and stay at the Holiday in Pigeon forge which is really close and then I do my grocery shopping right there at Walmart the next morning so I don't have to carry coolers and keep food in a hot car.  It has worked very well for me doing it this way.  we would leave on the 29th, I believe we have to be out by 11am but like you driving for 2 days I usually pack up the night before and leave early in the morning, but I am sure Mary will get back to you with more particulars.

I just can't say enough good things about this location and our hosts, Sarah and Mike, you will feel like family!  Oh, for the food, you know what meal you are responsible for but you plan your own menus.  Some of the girls run back to town later in the week if there meal is for later in the week.  And our sewing room is to die for, you cannot go wrong attending this retreat!  Hope to see you and meet you in June:)

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 2:23 PM | Locked

Terrific, we need you Darlene!  AFter all who else to we have to tease about a Canadian accent!  See you in June.

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:35 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol:
It would be two very long days of driving but I think manageable.

Brigit-Carol,

You will definitely love coming to the Lodge.  I have been there twice now just like Kathy and I would agree with everything she wrote.  Last June my DH and I drove to the retreat together in two days but for the Fantastic Fall Fiber Frenzy I drove by myself.  I live in the southeast corner of PA near Philadelphia.  My trip planner said 12+ hours of driving and I did it all in one day although the last two my eyes were bugging out of my head.  You can do it and you will have a great time.  I'm a light sleeper too.  The Lord took away my eyesight (I wear glasses) but he really gave me bionic ears.  I guess rooms would be up to Mary and Sara but I'm sure they would work something out for you.  In the fall we all got professional messages (at an extra cost of course) and I think she is coming again this summer. Can't wait for that little perk.  As far as food is concerned you know ahead of time what your responsibilities are.  You decide what you are going to make.  So it's your menu and your prep for your meal. Sometimes a couple of people help each other with a meal.  Barbara and I along with my DH did a dinner last year.  We split the costs. Plan to buy the supplies in town.  I was going to bring them too but DH was afraid the fresh things would spoil in the hot car. Oh I so hope you will decide to join the fun.  I'd love to meet you.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 472
Points 8,795
Darlene replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 10:31 AM | Locked

Mary

Could you put me down for a couple please and pm me how much and your address

Thanks looking forward to seeing everyone and being WARM

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,004
Points 19,315
Beth Weigt replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 1:23 PM | Locked

Yeah!!!  Can wait to see you both again. BTW I ended up with your 12" square ruler you left at Branson.  Do you want me to mail to you or just bring in June???

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 7:46 PM | Locked

Darlene:
Thanks looking forward to seeing everyone

Yeah!!!! Dave was wondering if Larry could trailer the Viper this time.  That way they can do the Dragon together........LOL!! Can't wait to see both of you again. Hope your power is on by now and you are nice and warm. The June retreat is only 51 teaching days away. Wahoo!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 472
Points 8,795
Darlene replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 10:19 PM | Locked

Beth

I am looking forward to seeing you again .I looked all over for that ruler one day.Seeing as you are the lost and found I wonder did you happen to get myspecial pillow and my ice pack for my shoulder.just kidding.When Larry decides its time to go we are gone in a flash.He has this thing about beating Randy out of hotel then beating Randy home.Boys will be boys I am usually better organized really. I will get it at the next retreat Thanks for picking it up for me

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590
MaryLeeHayden replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 8:01 PM | Locked

Our Smoky Mountain retreat for 2013 will again be the last full week in June at the Lodge at Douglas Lake. We still have up to 12 spaces left. The cost will be $200.00 and we have 25 spaces. The list is as follows. If you told me you wanted to come when you were here in June or October of this year, please message me and remind me.

The lodge has a 1200 square foot room where we set up our machines and workspace for the week. It's really the perfect venue for a quilting retreat.

1. Mary
  2. Andrea Dee - Deposit received - $100
  3. Kathy Fritz - PIF
  4. Carolyn (Sister of Janis) - Deposit received - $75
  5. Janis (Sister of Carolyn) - Deposit received - $75
  6. Mimi - Deposit Received - $100
  7. Dave - Deposit Received - $100
  8. Beth - PIF
  9. Bill - PIF
  10. Diana - PIF
  11. Ann Johnson
  12. Darlene
  13. Larry

We will be bringing our own food again and I will assign each room a meal, either breakfast or dinner. Lunch will be leftovers or sandwiches. We will also do our gift exchange and have a trash to treasure table. This was such fun and Sara Wall, who is a member here and the owner of the lodge, is a wonderful, gracious hostess.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:25 PM | Locked

Mary, Bob and I have been thinking about coming in June . Is there still a room for a couple? And how much of a deposit do you need? Bob is looking forward to seeing all the guys again. Thanks, Susan 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:59 PM | Locked

Susan, Just checking the posts before going to bed and was so glad to see you were thinking of coming.  Hope you and Bob will both be there.  The more the merrier. 

Page 7 of 41 (602 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use