2013 Oregon coast, Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach. Oct 13-18.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,226 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

Karla, have a good trip. See you Sunday evening. I'm heading down the road in a couple hours.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:11 AM

Kris, that is awesome. when I was younger I always wanted to go back East, watch the sun rise on the alantic then fly the same day to the west and watch it set.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:46 AM

Wow, it is really happening!  Folks are either already in Oregon, on their way, or almost on their way...lol!  Happy travels everyone!

We had an un-eventful trip once we got going.  My hand is much better this morning...no blisters...thank God.  Having it on ice for the better part of 4 hours did the trick!

Just talked to Patti and I will be meeting here in about an hour to leave for the Quilt Show and Fabric Depot.  We will keep you posted!

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:22 AM

okay it is looking like are plan is to meet up with those leaving this afternoon , this morning down at the saturday market and grab some food. then we will meet up with the others at the quilt show this afternoon. Will find sometime to hit the fabric store, and IKEA (probably) sometime before we head back to other side of the mountain tomorrow 

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 5:31 PM

Donna B:

I am in Oregon City...the ***real and official*** "End of the Oregon Trail"!   

Well, I learned something today!  Thanks Donna B. 

I wonder why they stopped so far from the coast?  Couldn't have been "injuns" because there were plenty of "First People" between Independence, Missouri and Oregon City, Oregon.  Hummm.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 9,250
Darlene replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 7:10 PM

Well we have arrived and are all in but the shoelaces.It has been a long trip.We started at 5 this morning and it is 8 our time.We met Deb at the airport and she is tired too.Time to rest up and be ready for tomorrow.

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:09 PM

We're in Hermiston, Oregon, tonight.  Just had Taco John's for dinner accompanied by a Quilter's Irish Death beer.  Remember those, Deb?  Randy made some nice purchases for his exotic wood stash at Woodcrafters in Spokane earlier today.  I egged him on to spend a bit more.  He's still way behind me in the stash purchase expenses - not this trip, but overall.

Should be a nice drive along the Columbia River tomorrow.  It's about a 5 hour drive from here.  See you all at the beach!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:58 PM

Quiltless:
I wonder why they stopped so far from the coast? 

You don't want me to bore you with a lot of Oregon history stuff...but after spending months on the trail and having very little food or supplies left, Oregon City offered food and shelter and a fairly mild climate to spend the winter before staking a land claim the next spring.  At that time (pre 1850) it was the only "US seat of government" and "civilization" west of the Mississippi!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:09 PM

I met with Patti and friend Debbie today at the Quilt Show and Fabric Depot...and ran into Tami from Walla Walla too!  We had a great time and saw some absolutely stunning quilts!  Pictures will follow, but I'm too worn out tonight and need to rest up for the drive tomorrow.  Gini, Jacy, Nana, and Diana saw the quilt show yesterday and were leaving for Sisters when we saw them this morning.  

Tomorrow morning, we are meeting with four other cars to caravan to the Oregon Coast and Beachcomber's Haven at Gleneden Beach, Oregon.  

We are going to RETREAT!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 12:18 AM

Got the dogs over to DD2's house and the truck loaded except for our toiletries and ice chest.  Need to get to bed so I can get up and going in the morning.  Want to be out of here by 6 am...but probably won't make it that early, but that's my plan.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 6:02 AM

It was nice running into you at the quilt show. I didn't buy anything there. okay I did buy one of their coffee mugs. DIL bought what I suppose you would call a "panel" It was of a tree print that she just feel in love with. It cost her $10.00., but the lady gave her a ticket for the quilt show that is there in November. She is local so works for her if she makes it. Saw some lovely quilts, and some that were right down amazing. DS, had an interesting talk with one of the ladies about the computerizes longarms. Sounded interested in maybe some future date of writing design programs for them. 

Earlier in the day we met up Gini, Jacy, Nana and Diana down at the saturday market. DH had never rode the trimax before, so we dragged him around on it. But by late afternoon he was done with that and we switched back to the car. We headed over to Fabric Depot. They had a great sale going on. The check out person told me it was preinventory and they are trying to reduce the amount of things they need to count. I picked up some a few things. But overheard some lady talking and I thought they were getting ready to close. Found out after I checked out that no they were closing. But we may head back there Sunday before we head back to Wally World.

Hoping to run into the rest of the group, that is stopping over in Portland, for breakfast. Hope to be able to make the retreat next year, because I know it will be a great treat.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 6:09 AM

wow Nancy, did you drive all the way from back East? Well the trip from Hermiston to Portland should be a breeze. And yes it is a nice drive along the Columbia to Portland. The Washington side is prettier but slower and winding. We take is sometimes but then switch over to the oregon side about at the bridge of the gods. Maybe I will talk to DH about doing that on the way home. Should be pretty if we could see some fall foliage. 

Dont know if you have made the trip before, but if you havent , you should really stop at the falls. A definite must see.

Safe driving

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 6:27 AM

Nana, hope you aren't buying out all the stores..extra baggage costs lots:)  We are going to have to plan on me joining the OR group next year, OK?

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 9:19 AM

No, Tami, Hermiston was the second night of our journey - stopped in Laurel, MT (near Billings) the first night.  These old eyes don't like driving in the dark much.  We have driven both sides of the Columbia before, and if you are talking about Multnomah Falls, we have seen that and I even managed to capture a picture of the Indian maiden on her way down.  Washington and Oregon have been popular vacation destinations for us for the past 30 years.  I'm not sure why we didn't end up settling here when we retired.

Sorry to have missed meeting you.  Maybe next year at the retreat?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 9:23 AM

Say, gals, what would you think about posting our retreat reporting over in the regular discussion threads when everyone starts arriving?  It seems like more members will see it there.  

Page 81 of 82 (1227 items) «Prev7879808182Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use