2013 Oregon coast, Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach. Oct 13-18.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,226 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:28 AM

Judy

I did see that recipe and it sounded really yummy.   I made the taco pie last night for dinner and it was really yummy too.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,102
Points 139,095

Nana:

Judy

I did see that recipe and it sounded really yummy.   I made the taco pie last night for dinner and it was really yummy too.

If we think we want the enchiladas, I can bring a large pan if someone else will so we have two of them. We can get ingredients in Lincoln City. I used a precooked Deli Chicken. Two chickens is plenty with some left over for sandwiches.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 12:07 PM

Patti:
I have an idea.  How about healthy snacks only in the Sandbox. 

Regrettably, I would have to second that Patti!  I have reached the stage where the M&M's are calling my name on a daily basis...lol!  So far, I have resisted, but...

Now that I reached my goal weight, I am having a heck of a time staying there.  It seems the scale keeps creeping up no matter what I do.  I know I need more vigorous exercise, but with the garden taking priority right now, plus the heat, that doesn't seem likely any day soon.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 12:27 PM

While we are talking food, I would like to bring up the topic of lunches.  (Can yo tell I have food on my mind?)

I think it's obvious the day we travel to the quilt store in Newport, we should plan to have lunch either in Newport or Depot Bay.  With stopping at the viewpoints along the way, it will probably take us several hours.  But, we will be ready and raring to quilt when we get back!!!  

Also, there is one highly recommended restaurant right in Gleneden Beach (about 1 mile) from BCH...but it is not open for dinners - breakfast and lunch only.  I have been told by several friends that it is very good, but have never eaten there myself.  So, when the mood strikes us, there is a restaurant within a short-distance drive for lunches.  (For those that like to walk, it is do-able but uphill going there and downhill coming back.  Of course it would take longer than driving.)

Previously Judy-T and I had talked about the Dory Cove Restaurant for a dinner out.  Sadly, I have heard from several people that the restaurant has really gone downhill and some have gone so far as to say straight out "DO NOT GO THERE."  So, I would suggest we take the Dory Cove off the possibility list.  There is another recommended seafood restaurant in Depot Bay (The Sea Hag...lol).  I've eaten there and the food is good, but not memorable IMHO.  

Judy T, did you find any really good seafood restaurants in that area on your trip last year?

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 1:09 PM

Donna

Any day we could do a big lunch and then just have sandwiches etc for dinner.   I have no problem with eating my bigger meal mid day.   Not that I usually ever eat a really big meal anymore.   I just tend to munch thru my days.   If I didn't have to cook for hubby I probably wouldn't do much cooking anymore....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 1:14 PM

This is a real bummer.....  but.....  2 months from today and I will be back in Roanoke and retreat will be over for another year.    So sad.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 1:36 PM

Nana:

Donna

Any day we could do a big lunch and then just have sandwiches etc for dinner.   I have no problem with eating my bigger meal mid day.   Not that I usually ever eat a really big meal anymore.   I just tend to munch thru my days.   If I didn't have to cook for hubby I probably wouldn't do much cooking anymore....LOL>

I agree...but, we are going to have a few DH's roaming up and down the coast that are probably going to expect "FOOD" when they return for the day.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 2:04 PM

Donna B:
I agree...but, we are going to have a few DH's roaming up and down the coast that are probably going to expect "FOOD" when they return for the day.  

Maybe they could cook dinner!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 3:20 PM

Now that sounds like a winner to me Patti....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:25 PM

Patti:

Donna B:

Randy would be up for it!  I want to see him try to cook something with Darlene's Larry.  That should be a hoot!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:42 PM

MNnancy:

Patti:

Donna B:

Randy would be up for it!  I want to see him try to cook something with Darlene's Larry.  That should be a hoot!

Good Point!

Wayne would be fine with that...he likes to cook too.    We'll have a "guy's cooking dinner" night!!!

In fact, if you ask him I know he would suggest Bouillabaisse (a seafood soup/chowder with a tomato broth and vegetables).  It takes a lot of seafood, so it can get a bit pricey, but if everyone chips in that would be a great idea!  We could have crab, clams, mussels, snapper, halibut, calamari plus whatever else we can find available.  That's a great way for everyone to try northwest seafood!  (he loves to make this, but you need a crowd!!!)  

Hmmm, now we'll need a really big soup-pot.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,102
Points 139,095

Donna B:
Judy T, did you find any really good seafood restaurants in that area on your trip last year?

We were driving down 101 out of Lincoln City, I saw a little road off to the right that said scenic route. It meanders alongside 101. George didn't want to go because it was narrow and he's not that adventurous. I insisted and we found the most wonderful spot with a little cafe that had the best clam chowder and fish and chips. The cafe was very small, our group would probably fill it up. It may have been at the Rocky Creek Wayside.

I really need to take notes when we travel. I forget names and everything becomes mushed into one big memory.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,102
Points 139,095

Judy T-Bellingham:
Judy T, did you find any really good seafood restaurants in that area on your trip last year

I found it.  Mo's at Otter Rock  http://www.moschowder.com/otter-rock.php

But, it's only open seasonally, closes the end of September. They also have Mo's in Newport that is open year around.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:46 PM

At least you found it!  

I haven't been to this particular Mo's or the Mo's in Newport  but I/we have been to two other Mo's franchise's (one in Taft on Siletz Bay and the other in Cannon Beach).

I'm glad you liked their food.  That's reassuring!!!  We didn't have a very good experience at the one in Taft/Lincoln City, but it was a weekend night so that might explain it.  We could go to the Newport Mo's for lunch when we are on our quilt store jaunt!

Here is the link to their main website:  http://www.moschowder.com/index.php

Be sure and click on "Mo's story" upper right for an entertaining story about the founder, Mo Niemi.  

Also, there is a story about her leasing a warehouse in Newport to the Deschutes Brewery with the condition that they had to display a "painting of her nude in a bathtub" over the bar or the lease would be immediately cancelled. (Note, she was in her 80's in the painting!)   Well, during a remodel of the building, the painting disappeared!  Apparently it has never been found.  The Brewery is no longer open in Newport, but I don't know if that is due to the economy or the loss of the painting...lol!  (They still are a very successful brewery here in the northwest.)

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,365
Points 388,907
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:03 PM

I'm not much of a cook but I'll contribute to the funds for meals.

• Post Points: 35
Page 40 of 82 (1227 items) «Prev3839404142Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.