2013 Oregon coast, Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach. Oct 13-18.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,226 Replies | 29 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 287
Points 4,435

Hello, everyone.  I am back from camping and eager to finish projects in August. Then I need to cut fabrics for the Christmas quilt I hope to make at the retreat. I am babysitting Dottie, a darling beagle. My wish list is to start a baby quilt and wedding quilt for two different friends. And I promised to make a baby dress for a neice and received FIVE fabrics for FIVE dresses. But they are cute and look simple :-) So I am busy, too, but with good "stuff".

Take care.

MN Deb

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 287
Points 4,435

Nana, oh yippee!!!!! I didn't get to your previous mystery quilt because I was working for two months. I will be soooooooooo eager for your next one. And I have a nice stash I have built up from all my retreats, lots of pretty fabrics to choose from. Thanks for doing this fun group project for us :-)

MN Deb

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Wow, Deb, you are a busy girl. Five dresses. I haven't done "real" sewing in so many years. I think the last thing I made was a prom dress for my daughter in 1987.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

I'm just wondering about gifts, exchanges, swaps etc. Are we doing a wrapped gift exchange in Oregon? Or do the same as Leavenworth where people brought things they didn't want for a swap table.

I"m OK with whatever. 

Also, meals. Will each duplex plan their own meals or will we be planning for people to sign up to cook for everyone? Or, like Branson and Leavenworth, are we on our own?  I'm afraid  I've become a haphazard and lazy cook. I should be ashamed to admit that George and I often just have a salad, sandwich and fresh fruit for dinner. (too lazy to cook) I'm happy to clean up or help others cook if that's what is decided to do.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 2:33 PM

At the Smokey Mtn retreat each room signed up for certain meals.   I personally don't care if we have cooked breakfasts or lunches.   It is nice though to have a meal at dinner time.   I am up for whatever.   And yes Patty Mc I am still planning to do Shrimp and Grits one night for everyone.   I will also do pies for desserts if someone will bring pie plates.  It will probably take 4 pies so that everyone gets some.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Donna B:

Patty Mac, I sent you a pm.

Donna B -- Got it this morning.  Thanks.  I haven't had my computer on for the last week to ten days.  Sorry!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Wow --  I'm really out of the loop.  It's my own fault.  I've been busy with a landscaping crew here at home and then threw a BBQ for my DGS and his football, basketball and baseball teammates this past Saturday.

So looks like I need to come up with some small gifts to share.  I like the idea of a plan for sharing the cooking.  Like each group covering an main meal.  I'll be watching to see what is decided.

Yes, Pam come join us.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Judy T-Bellingham:
salad, sandwich and fresh fruit for dinner.

Judy --- ashamed --- really ---- Nah!  That sounds pretty darn good in this house.  That's my main meal for the day!   LOL

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Patti:
Tomorrow I finish the Roman shades

Ah those Roman Shades.  They have been a real test haven't they Patti.   And the one I saw was so nice.  Bet it feels good to have them done?!

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 9:47 PM

Snowbird Quilter:
Like each group covering a main meal.

Is there a complete kitchen available?  I see a microwave in our room, but not sure there's a kitchen.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 10:34 PM

If you go to the beachcomber's haven website, you can see some pictures of the rooms.  Nancy, you do have a small kitchen, stove, oven microwave, coffee makers, several cabinets, so there must be some dishes or pans. 

as for the Sandbox, it is furnished studio kitchen with microwave, sink, refrigerator.

in the 4 plex, I am not sure if they have a kitchen in 9 and 10.  I see that Beachcomber's Haven does not list kitchens for any of the units, but you can see kitchens in some of the photos, which units 11 and 12 have.  All the units outside the 4 plex have a kitchen. 

Those offering to cook meals may have to borrow a kitchen.  I will bring my electric fry pan, pie plates, and a few other things they may not have.  I'll bring my crockpot too, but it is only family size.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Patti:
I am not sure if they have a kitchen in 9 and 10

Oh good, that means I don't have to cook????  Just kidding, I make a mean grilled cheese. If I'm really feeling culinary I whip up the best PB&J sandwiches.  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 12:09 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Patti:
I am not sure if they have a kitchen in 9 and 10

Oh good, that means I don't have to cook????  Just kidding, I make a mean grilled cheese. If I'm really feeling culinary I whip up the best PB&J sandwiches.  :-)

Judy, I remember they have a pannini press in the SandBox kitchen.  Alice made a point of showing it to me and telling me that a lot of the groups had fun making sandwiches with it.  How are you with Reubens?  They are quick and easy...and with a press, they should be double easy!

I will bringing a crockpot and plan to make black-bean soup for dinner one night.  It holds about 4 quarts, but that would be a pretty small serving per person  for dinner (with 24-26 people).   I also talked about getting dungness crab for cracked crab (for those that would like to try it).  So maybe that could be a supplement to the soup along with a salad.  (I will talk to Jan and maybe we can pool our efforts.)

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:50 AM

I have an idea.  How about healthy snacks only in the Sandbox.  I can handle temptation as long as it is not immediately available.  Having to go by the chocolate last time to get to the cutting board was my biggest downfall.  And bring out the pies, deserts, etc only when it is time for a meal, or a later desert. 

So, cups of celery and carrots instead of M&Ms.  Jicama is good too.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Patti:

I have an idea.  How about healthy snacks only in the Sandbox.  I can handle temptation as long as it is not immediately available.  Having to go by the chocolate last time to get to the cutting board was my biggest downfall.  And bring out the pies, deserts, etc only when it is time for a meal, or a later desert. 

So, cups of celery and carrots instead of M&Ms.  Jicama is good too.

Good luck with that Patti. (LOL)  But I'm all for your suggestion. Digestive system (I'm OLD afterall) just doesn't handle many things so I'm not real tempted.

I was already planning on stocking up on fruits, veggies, cheese and stuff. I'll happily share. I love celery sticks with peanut butter. I'm also bringing things like packs of instant soup, peanut butter and similar things for those meals where it's best I stay away from. I'm sure there are others who have dietary limitations and will be doing similar things.

One thing I made the other day that was soooo good. Some of you may have seen this posted on Facebook. It's White Chicken Enchiladas. It makes 10 enchiladas so if it's doubled and has other side dishes such as salad it may be enough for a meal. We'd need two large 11x14 pans.

Page 39 of 82 (1227 items) «Prev3738394041Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use