2013 Oregon coast, Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach. Oct 13-18.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,226 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:00 PM

Kris:

I know. I'm ready now. I can't wait to see all of you again.

I am so ready I am braving the elements and making a trip there this Sunday!  It's suppose to be rainy and stormy, but all the better to watch the big waves, right?  We've (my sisters and I) rented a condo south of Gleneden Beach (where the Retreat will be) on a cliff right above the ocean so we should have a spectacular view of the waves.  (We'll be at the coast through Wednesday morning.)

I definitely plan to visit Beachcombers Resort at Gleneden Beach just to see the quilting room and see if any quilters are there to visit with.

If anyone wants me to check anything out while I am there, just let me know.  I definitely will have internet access through Sunday morning, but not positive about at the coast...will need to wait and see.  So, let me know soon, if I can check on anything for you.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:03 PM

oooo we want pictures! of the view and the sewing room!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:13 PM

Patti:

oooo we want pictures! of the view and the sewing room!

Will do!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:27 PM

Here are some pictures of the view outside our condo room.

This one was taken late yesterday afternoon at the tail end of a storm.  The sky was spectacular.

We had really big waves on the rocks last night about dusk, but I couldn't get a good picture.  

This morning, there was still some large waves, but not as big as last night:

It's starting to clear a little bit now, so we should have a nice afternoon and tomorrow should be fair.  

I hope to visit Beachcomber's Haven this afternoon!  (I'm waiting for a repairman to re-light the pilot light on the gas fireplace.  It blew out yesterday due to the high winds.)

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:30 PM

BTW, I am staying about five miles south of Beachcomber's Haven and just north of Depoe Bay, OR.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 10:29 PM

Wow Donna, these are beautiful pictures.   Just over 6 months from now!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:35 AM

I made it to Beachcomber's Haven yesterday afternoon and was able to spend some time visiting with a nice group of quilters.  As expected, a great group of ladies!

I met Alyce, the co-owner/quilter who is also a very sweet lady and loves to get right in with the quilting groups that are visiting.  She has her quilts hanging in many of the rental rooms.

About the Sandbox, ie Quilting Room:  

Plenty of outlets and circuits!  For those bringing computerized sewing machines, I would suggest bringing your own surge protector cord. (She has a few, but...)

She has plenty of "bed-risers".  Besides what you will see in the pictures that follow, there were 2 un-used sets in the closet.  (I thought one should have been under the ironing table near the kitchen, but this group didn't seem to mind that one being lower.)

Cutting Mats - Large Cutting Mats are provided (at least two on two banquet tables); bring your own rotary cutters and rulers

Design Walls -  There is only one wall with a cork-faced surface...the one right next to the kitchen (behind the cutting tables in my pictures).  However, she provides "clips" along two long walls (probably close to 40 feet total) for hanging either flannel, etc. for temporary design walls.  (If you look at the pictures, you will see the clips and the flannel and table cloth backs that this group was using on these walls.)

Irons and Ironing Boards - They provide two Big-Board ironing boards and irons.  (If you are fussy about your iron, you could bring one along, but I doubt you would really need it.  The group there this week, had a lot of people with small irons at their sewing stations, but it would not have been necessary. Alyce commented to me that that was the biggest concern with the electrical supply [irons at the sewing stations], but with the exception of one plug [nearest the entry door], it wasn't a problem.)

Kitchen - There is a refrigerator, microwave, sink, coffee pots (household size + buffet size), a large crock-pot and a pannini press.  Alyce mentioned that a lot of the groups have had fun making pannini sandwiches!

Ventilation:  Not a problem!!!  There are windows and doors at both ends of the room...so with one ajar at both ends, you have a nice gentle sea-breeze going through. I don't remember specifically which, but Alyce had spots she recommended for the menopausal hot-flash prone quilters...LOL!  She has thought of everything!!!

This first pictures is of their recommended table layout for 20 quilters (which I assume we will use).  Alyce (and the gals there agreed) that it was a nice layout because it had 4 people kind of all facing each other in a group.  I think you will like it!  One thing I didn't do was measure each table.  (I will try to stop today and do that!)

So, here is the 20 person lay-out diagram:

I'll do the rest of the pictures in my next post...

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:05 PM

OK, these are pictures of the Sandbox (Quilting Room) at Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach, OR.  The pictures start as I walked in the main door on the north side of the room and I started taking pictures to my left as I walked through the room:

Storage room  and ironing board next to kitchenette

OH YES, I forgot to mention that they provide the large cutting mats!  Two tables, end to end.

Bring your own rotary cutters of course!

(There is a cork-backed design wall behind these tables.)

Note the clips and design wall/flannel hanging from them:

This is the final design wall on the south wall of the room.  It is really long!  Note how they pinned the fabric together to keep it straight! (I'll try to look at this again if I can stop by today.)

This door on the south wall of the room was ajar for ventilation:

The lady on the right is Alyce (co-owner and excellent quilter).  This also gives you a nice view looking north through the room and the way this layout works,  Note all the space these gals have to move around!!!  You can see the door where I walked in in the background.

Now, I am back almost to the spot where I took the first two pictures.  This is looking out the window to the left of the entry door:

And, when I zoom in, here is the view:

I'm off to make use of the exercise room!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:12 PM

I just have to add one observation...

I would guess this room is at least half again as big as the room in Leavenworth.  I think you all will love it!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:44 PM

Update on Beachcomber's Haven:

1)  Individual sewing tables are 2' x 4' or 2' x 5'. 

2)  Design wall fabrics were just hanging down straight from the clips provided.  What I thought were places where they were connected was just grommet holes - which did add weight to the fabric and help it to hang straight.

The quilting gals that were there did have one suggestion for us!  They commented that the sleeping rooms do not have fitted bottom sheets.  They suggested that people bring their own bottom sheets unless you are OK with completely remaking your bed every morning.  (There is no room service during your stay.)

Other than that they are very happy with the facility and have been coming there every year for the last five years!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:29 PM

Wow Donna, this sounds and looks fantastic.  Each to our own table!  That will make it easier to keeps Gini's stuff from creeping over the line.  Must admit, looks like those ladies really know how to fill their space.   My sewing room times 20! 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:54 AM

Donna

Thanks for all the pics.   The views are stunning.   Love the quilting room....fantastic layout.

Patti I am not sure this will prevent Gini's stuff from creeping.   It seems to explode.....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:50 AM

Donna B:
2)  Design wall fabrics were just hanging down straight from the clips provided.  What I thought were places where they were connected was just grommet holes - which did add weight to the fabric and help it to hang straight.

Reading over this, I wasn't very specific...  They only provide the clips/hangers for the design walls...we need to bring our own fabric!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:00 AM

And speaking of being ready???  If it hadn't been that my sisters were sitting waiting for me, I wouldn't have left until they pushed me out the door - machine or no machine!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:39 PM

What a delightful sewing space, but the view of what's just outside the room is going to be a major distraction!

Donna B:

here is the view:

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 24 of 82 (1227 items) «Prev2223242526Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use