2013 Oregon coast, Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach. Oct 13-18.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,226 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:28 AM

I have been following this discussion and I may be interested in joining yall since I live in AZ and it wouldnt be too bad of a drive but I do have one question,  what does one do at a retreat,  what does one bring, how is it run,  as you can see I have never been to one.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:39 AM

Gini

I can't make pies on a cookie sheet.   But I have also used a wine bottle as a rolling pin and it worked pretty good.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:46 AM

donna, we have a great deal of fun and get a little bit of quilting done, unless you are an over achiever, a little bit of shopping, some eating.  but mostly we laugh until our sides ache, 6 days of sore sides. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:47 AM

Donna

You bring your sewing machine or if flying in someone brings a machine for you.   I take projects that I have precut to work on as well as some handwork projects.   We sew and chat and laugh and eat and chat and sew and laugh and on and on.   Everyone has a great time and learn lots of new things.  There is always someone that is willing to share info on a technique that you want to learn.  For some of us there is very little sleeping....LOL>   This retreat is composed of very sweet laid back ladies that are a true joy to spend time with.   I have been to several retreats now and can say that the west coast retreat is one that I have a hard time not going to.....and I have to fly all the way across the country to get there.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:49 AM

you make rustic pies, nana,   make a big circle of dough, pile on the fruit sugar and spices, fold and pleat the sides up leaving a big hole in the middle of the top.  sprinkle with big sugar and bake.   they are easy and look nice set out on a pretty cutting board after dinner. 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Kris:
Since I won't be cooking I'll be happy to chip in for the cost of shrimp

Kris,  You and Me.  We'll cover the shrimp.  I so want to be able to be more of a participate this time.  I'll wash dishes!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 1:56 PM

Donna B:

Another idea for a meal to treat those of you that have not been to the Pacific Ocean before is a Dungeness Crab Feed!  This is a down and dirty..."crack the crab on the table as you eat it" kind of meal...with the yummy crab juices dripping down your arms to your elbows. Lots of paper towels required!!!  Cracked Crab, Corn on the Cob, and a tossed salad make a yummy meal! Crab season ends in mid-August, but we know where we can get frozen crabs there (pre-cooked) that can be very good and reasonably priced for eating at home.

Anyone tempted?

We're just getting the fresh Dungeness crabs in now Donna and they are great. My dad pre-ordered  and George picked up four yesterday for him. $40 but well worth it. We eat them with cole slaw, Ritz crackers and Miracle whip. Sounds tacky but very yummy! In October our corn should still be producing, I'd be glad to throw in a couple of dozen ears. That many less that I have to freeze.

Patti mentioned maybe doing a beach themed block exchange. I plan to work on a beach themed quilt so I'm game for an exhange if anyone else is.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:29 PM

Donna B:

Another idea for a meal to treat those of you that have not been to the Pacific Ocean before is a Dungeness Crab Feed!  This is a down and dirty..."crack the crab on the table as you eat it" kind of meal...with the yummy crab juices dripping down your arms to your elbows. Lots of paper towels required!!!  Cracked Crab, Corn on the Cob, and a tossed salad make a yummy meal! Crab season ends in mid-August, but we know where we can get frozen crabs there (pre-cooked) that can be very good and reasonably priced for eating at home.

Anyone tempted?

Oh Yeah. This sounds great Donna.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:34 PM

Snowbird Quilter:

Kris:
Since I won't be cooking I'll be happy to chip in for the cost of shrimp

Kris,  You and Me.  We'll cover the shrimp.  I so want to be able to be more of a participate this time.  I'll wash dishes!

It's a deal Patty Mc. I'm really looking forward to this.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:03 PM

lcqultr46:
I plan to work on a beach themed quilt

Quilter's Cove has lots of beach themed, light house, etc fabrics.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

Patti:

lcqultr46:

It's a fairly small shop but a wonderful selection, especially beach theme like Patti said. That's where I got the Seascapes paper piecing pattern book. She is the one who said she'd give us a discount. Patti, if you want me to contact her, I'll be happy to take that off your plate. The retreat is still 9 months off, so perhaps wait until a bit closer to our event?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:19 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
It's a fairly small shop but a wonderful selection, especially beach theme like Patti said. That's where I got the Seascapes paper piecing pattern book. She is the one who said she'd give us a discount. Patti, if you want me to contact her, I'll be happy to take that off your plate. The retreat is still 9 months off, so perhaps wait until a bit closer to our event?

That would be great Judy. 

I think they have a web site too.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:26 PM

Donna, our spaces available are for 2 women.  In unit 12 there are 2 bedrooms each with a queen bed.  That's if everyone is willing to share a queen bed.  If someone wants a bed to themselves, they would pay for the whole room.  Let me know if you are interested.  There are some others interested, so let me know soon if you do want a space.

We have a great time, and you would really enjoy yourself!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

Patti:

Judy T-Bellingham:
. ... Patti, if you want me to contact her, I'll be happy to take that off your plate. .......

That would be great Judy. I think they have a web site too.

OK, Patti, I have it on my To Do List for Oregon retreat. (Yes, I already have a list started, laugh if you will)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

Patti:

lcqultr46:

And, by the way, there was an ice cream shoppe next door. Dangerous.

Page 15 of 82 (1227 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use