2nd Annual Amish Country Retreat June19-22 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 169 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,503
Points 50,705
Ginny replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 3:35 PM

I made it home about 2:15, just in time for my son to carry my sewing machine in for me before leaving for work.  Tired cookie here so I sat down to view the 258 emails I had missed while gone.  Now I am going to go drool over my new stash and my door prize along with all of the wonderful little gifts I found on my machine every time I got up and left it alone for a few minutes.   I had a wonderful time at this retreat and met some wonderful friends in real life , not just on forums.  I can't tell you how delighted I was-- I just wish that I hadn't left parts of every project at home so I couldn't really complete much -- but sure could buy a lot more fabric to add to  my stash- especially since I got to go to Somewhere Sewing twice.  Boy that pocketbook is looking pretty empty and the credit card is looking pretty full LOL.    Ginny

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 9:04 PM

Retreat is over and it went all too fast....right ladies? I'm so tired, but Indie came home about 4:30 and he was so happy to be home too. Since flowers were all droopy we had to do our chores before we could rest. A gardener's work is never done. Of course, he's wiped out and I just downloaded 1 card from my camera. The other card will have to wait till tomorrow. I'm so ready for my recliner tonight!!!!!! How about some more pictures????

The above is the beautiful work of Lisa and Judy, the mother and daughter team. They were so delightful and I hope to keep in touch with them.

I don't remember who did the mug rugs but I think it was Sheila. Correct me if I am wrong Sheila.

Here's Susie with one of her masterpieces.

And here's Dawn showing us her new machine. WOW! It's really fancy and does a lot of things. Dawn made a lot of beautiful things over the weekend. I think the photos are on the other disk. Wait till you see some of them!!!!!

Lunch together always included salad. Can you see everyone's long ears??? Oh and the wiggly nose??

Well folks I'm exhausted...and tired too. The rest of the photos tomorrow. It's good t be home, but we sure had a great time.

Your friendly photographer, Linda

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 10:11 PM

Linda,

Thank you so much for the photos everyones work looks amazing. Okay so salad was on your plates but what about dessert:-))

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 10:45 PM

Home & tired but pleased with the retreat. Glad to hear that Susie & Ginny got home safely.  I took a scenic route back & enjoyed the breeze in my face & the sun. I'll get the rest of the pics posted tomorrow. I've been putting things away & meeting the new cat, Tigger. Well, trying to anyway ... he's hiding under the morning room table growling & hissing all afternoon so I haven't really laid eyes on him but, I'm told he's a grey tabby. When he deigns to make his way into the rest of the house,  I guess I'll make his acquaintance. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 10:45 PM

Home & tired but pleased with the retreat. Glad to hear that Susie & Ginny got home safely.  I took a scenic route back & enjoyed the breeze in my face & the sun. I'll get the rest of the pics posted tomorrow. I've been putting things away & meeting the new cat, Tigger. Well, trying to anyway ... he's hiding under the morning room table growling & hissing all afternoon so I haven't really laid eyes on him but, I'm told he's a grey tabby. When he deigns to make his way into the rest of the house,  I guess I'll make his acquaintance. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 7:24 AM

Frances:

Linda,

Thank you so much for the photos everyones work looks amazing. Okay so salad was on your plates but what about dessert:-))

lots of love

Francesxx

Don't worry, Frances, there were desserts, too. I had made zucchini bread, banana bread, and cranberry scones. Lynda O brought raisin oatmeal cookies and macadamia nut cookies. Someone brought a most scrumptious raspberry cake, and then, of course, there was the caramel cheesecake we had in honor of Sheila's birthday.

I'm having technical difficulties today getting the other disk downloaded with the rest of the photos. But I'll keep trying throughout the day.  However I have an urgent request for a comfort quilt for a pastor friend who is in hospice. I need to get a quilt made and sent out this week asap. Most of my day will be spent working on that. I'm sure you all will understand the need.

Hugs, Linda

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 10:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for the "virtual retreat".  The pics, the quilts and projects by everyone were beautiful, the "salad", and then the "desserts", WOW, wish I were there in body.  We need an East coast retreat next year so I could attend.  I'm not very good organizing, not a good Chief but would make a pretty good Indian if someone would like to jump in here and look around ME, NH, MA, CT, RI.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 1:08 PM

Okay, I'm reconnected now!

2013 Buggy Babes Ohio Amish Country Retreat:

Finale:

Saturday was check out day and while Lisa & Judy had to leave at the crack of dawn, the rest of us wandered into the kitchen in a leisurely manner. Most of us had packed up our machines before bed the night before so what was left was just tidying up and putting tables & chairs away. Ginny warned me not to drink the very bottom of the pot of coffee because I'd have to "chew" it but at least there was still some in the pot! Wow! Everyone pitched in and we were all on our way home by 10 a.m.

Here are a few more pictures that were on my phone:

It's a bit difficult to find places to pull over to take photos while driving but, I took this one from the dining room of the Der Dutchman restaurant where we had dinner on Friday. I wanted to be able to give everyone a sense of the countryside in this area. The foothills of the Appalachian Mountains begin about the middle of the state and become more pronounced the farther east you go.

Dawn is just pretending to be shy here but, she's a phenomenal quilter/embroiderer. As well as having her Sulky certification, she also has her own business repairing sewing machines  and teaching classes. She spent the retreat working through some of her Sulky projects. This was one that she did free hand! In addition, I'm also attaching the front and back pics of her Cat Wall Hanging done with laser cut fabrics...

I didn't take many photos with my phone since being in a valley, we had little to no bars on our phones so our batteries died pretty quickly. Susie's charger itself croaked but, fortunately mine fit her phone. At any rate, we were continually charging phones, it seemed. Linda K took most of the photos with her camera and we would just download her sd card to my laptop every evening. Thank heavens for the wi-fi at the retreat house!

Here's an assortment of our Sunbonnet Sue blocks that everyone did. I'm thinking of combining mine with the Amish blocks we did last year. Hmmm - we shall see.

Just thought I'd take a photo of some of the swap items and goodies we amassed at this year's retreat. As Ginny said in her post, everytime you left your seat, it seemed that you came back to some little something on it - LOL! Let's see if I can name them all... Iron Cozy, Tote bag, Gift bag, Hot/Cold pack, Mug Rugs, Coasters, Stress Ball, Pin Cushion, Wall Hanging, Notepad & Pen, Emery Boards, Needle card, Credit Card Pouch (darn - it was empty!), Name tag. There were several of some things but, in my case, all will most certainly be used! Thanks to all who participated.

I think everyone had a great time and I was more than happy to be the reporter for the retreat. I hope my reports made you smile and wish you were here with us!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 1:16 PM

Shelia,

You are so right Dawns work is awesome and very beautiful. Thank you for all the photos it means so much to me that i can get to see what you get up to and where you go and what you eat (the eating especially). Its been wonderful thank you all so much.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:03 PM

Sheila, you did a super job as reporter!  You did make me smile and wish I were there.  Your final pics put the frosting on the cake.  Dawns work is awesome!  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:40 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your retreat with us,  beautiful projects by all

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 3:53 AM

Ladies ,what a great retreat , I can see y'all had a fabulous time.  Thanks for sharing with us all the fun..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 6:23 AM

Sheila,

Love your collage of all the gifts. I'm still having problems downloading my disk. I think I know the problem but have to get my computer guy over to fix it. But you covered all the bases very well and I'm glad I asked you to be reporter. You did a fantastic job. Thank you for all your help and friendship.

Folks, you haven't seen such beautiful country until you've seen Holmes County, Ohio. I hope you get a chance to see it someday.

Thank you to the participants, Sheila, Lynda, Lori, Judy, Dawn, Susie, and Ginny. I love you gals. You all pitched in so I didn't have to do much with the cleanup. Thank you so much. Until next year???? We'll see.........

Hugs, Linda

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 9:15 AM

Thanks, Linda!  I had a wonderful time!

Contrary to some beliefs, Sheila & I are really good friends!  We hold no animosity towards each other at all, lol!

I am in awe of Dawn's sulky projects!  She does such a lovely job on them! 

Linda O was so determined to get her paper piecing project put together.  It was generally decided that I should NOT attempt PP after the star issue from last year...not sure if my brain can handle it at all!  And her chicken wall hanging is adorable!

Lisa & Judy worked together to finish a top in the delft blues.  It is beautiful!  Makes me want to do one in that color scheme.

Ginny was plugging away, and then she would just disappear...to reappear when new treats were placed by our machines. 

Linda K did a great job as hostess!  All the little treats she had planned!  And you should see her scrappy quilts!  They are beautiful!  Not enough for me to want to do one...not enough control for me.

If you haven't ever been to Somewhere Sewing, you should check out their website, and just picture rows and rows of fabric!  It's a great place to shop, and my pocketbook sure suffered for the visit!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 10:15 AM

Thanks, Ladies! I really enjoyed reporting for the group - I've always enjoyed writing and this was fun to do! I think we all had a great time and Susie and I ARE good friends! I like to make things fun and if I can (or need to), I can usually put a humorous spin on most anything. My DD keeps saying I need to write a book but, I figure, it's just life - let's live it!

I came home to several phone messages regarding job opportunities so I'm working on planning my week. We also have a new (to us) cat thanks to DD - any wonder why I could write a book??? Tigger is a 10 yo grey tabby and he's really a worry-wart. He's been pulling out tufts of fur for the last 2 days but, I think he's finally starting to cozy up to me. I got the brush out this a.m. and was able to pick him up and hold him for a bit. He enjoyed the brushing but, he can only take so much excitement before heading back to the bathroom to hide in the tub behind the curtain where he feels safer. I keep telling him I'll grown on him but, I think he's scared that I'll grow to be a wart or something. Dufus!

Susie - you're welcome anytime and if you think Somewhere Sewing is great, you should come visit me and go with me to Shiloh to the "barn" (as Dawn calls it). Ooh, La-La! I believe she advertises 9,000+ bolts. Plus, they do LA'ing there and hold classes. They usually have a tent sale later in the year in which they sell flat-folds, etc. outside in the tent as well as everything inside. Lots of great stuff. Prices are comparable to Somewhere Sewing, too!

I had such a wonderful time with everyone and hope to be able to do it again next year!

Ginny - Don't forget you promised me your Ratatouille recipe! And who brought that pudding type of dessert we had on Wednesday evening? That was wonderful - I would like that recipe, too, please!

Lisa & Judy - I think we all will want to see how the Hummingbirds turn out, too. Hope you found your time with us to be the treat you both needed sew much!

Lynda O - Thanks for all of the wonderful tips & stories about your foray into supporting your DH's retirement! May you both have many more years to enjoy it!

Dawn - I'm sure you and I will see each other sooner rather than later! As soon as I can scrape together the funds, I'm definitely going to look into the Sulky thing.

And to Linda Koller - I can't thank you enough for pulling these two retreats together! I look forward to next year!

• Post Points: 50
Page 10 of 12 (170 items) «Prev89101112Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use