2nd Annual Amish Country Retreat June19-22 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 169 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 6:58 PM

Ginny  thanks for the complement ,According to the Doctors office I've lost 10 lbs, according to my clothes  None, LOL  I was not aware I was trying to lose  any .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,406
Points 37,960
Linda replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 8:13 AM

Barbara:

Ginny  thanks for the complement ,According to the Doctors office I've lost 10 lbs, according to my clothes  None, LOL  I was not aware I was trying to lose  any .Barbara

Congratulations Barbara!

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:49 PM

Linda,

Im sorry this retreat crept up on me before i realised i just wanted to wish you all a great retreat, if i could have been there i would have and it sounds really interesting please post pics if you can, as i love seeing the pictures.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

Unfortunately this year is definitely out of the question. I just had rotator cuff repair on Friday. Then I thought maybe next year, but my sis informed me that nephew graduates then so that means a trip to Georgia. I'm like Barbara, money is an issue. I will really  miss you all I had such a great time last year. So have some fun for me!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:36 PM

2013 Buggy Babes Retreat in Ohio Amish Country (OAC)

Day 1:

With a few small quirks, everyone made it safely to the retreat. Strange noises from Sheila's tire which required an unscheduled stop to have it checked and fixed and Garmin mis-directions for Linda & Lynda took them on a tour of the area and caused a significant decrease in cookies and scones, and OnStar sent Ginny down a closed road so she spent time enjoying the scenery while OnStar tried to reroute her. Lisa & Judy ended up here first but, no problem - they shopped! Roadwork and more closed roads sent Dawn in all different directions - Welcome to the state of Road Construction and the Orange Barrel Capital of the world! Susie made it without mishap - YAY!

We find the Rural Thimble to be a beautiful place for a retreat and I believe we've all been over the hill to the store at least once already today! Free Wi-Fi is a good thing as well as A/C! Two beautiful porches to relax on and we found that we're all going to be eating really, really healthy with lots of salads, too.

Okay, now for a few photos for your viewing pleasure:

Judy's first quilt! She doesn't use a sewing machine, either! All of her work is by hand - Wow! More patience than I can summon up, for sure. Lisa is Judy's daughter so she uses the machine and mom irons and hand stitches - What a pair!

One of favorite things to do...EAT! (And, of course, our best sides are to the camera)!

Lynda Overholt is hard at work! See, she's got her mouth set just right for work, too!

Lisa won 2nd place in the Stan Hywett Fall Needlework show in Akron with this lovely entry. You should see the detail on this one!

Lisa's basket quilt (about 20 years old) was complete with yo-yo flowers and pieces of one of her high school shirts - all done on a 1901 treadle machine. We've got some going to do to top her work!

We're all doing some show & tell and passing out little gifts throughout the day(s) to make things interesting. Tomorrow we're off to Somewhere Sewing (eat your heart out, Barbara!) for a bit of shopping. They've promised us a door prize in lieu of any discounts as their fabric is so reasonable to begin with.

Signing off for tonight, your friendly Buggy Babes reporter...

Sheila

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,735
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:04 PM

Fantastic show and tell quilts.   The Grandmother's Flower Garden is gorgeous.  Hats off to you ladies.   Try not to buy out the fabric store tomorrow.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:34 PM

Shelia,

Thank you so much for reporting, the quilts all look amazing. It looks like you are all going to have a wonderful time.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 11:49 PM

Nana, with over 5,000 bolts, I don't think they're in any danger of selling out tomorrow; however, it may be close because they are having a sale on a bunch  of fabric and I believe we'll receive an even deeper discount! Plus, they've promised us a donation for a door prize - who knows what that might be - LOL!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 11:50 PM

Frances, we are already having a marvelous time ...I say as I sit here on my laptop unable to settle down and sleep.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 8:04 AM

OH I wish I was there , looks like y'all are having so much fun.. beautiful quilts ladies ..  Keep the pictures  a coming.  Tell the Gals at  somewhere Sewing ,I wish I could be there ,they know me by name now as I shop there all the time.  LOL   per computer and phone ..  Oh I wanta go   LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 10:15 AM

Love the quilts and comments.  Is it possible to move this to the message boards?  It will take us fewer clicks to get there and lot more people will enjoy seeing what you all are doing. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 8:43 PM

Patti, Thanks for the suggestion but, since this is a retreat, we all feel that this is the most appropriate place for it. Sorry if it takes you a bit more time to get to it; but, in the interest of keeping things organized, we will continue to post here. I hope that you will find the information intriging enough to come and visit us!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,735
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:13 PM

Sheila

You ladies may want to rethink placing pics in the general forums.   Not all of our members know about the groups section.   By "marketing" our retreats in the forums it brings in new members for future retreats.  I think it is nice to keep this thread open but I do think it is important to publicize our retreat fun in the general forums.   Just my opinion ...  but I do know we have picked up interest in the past by posting our fun in the forums.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:15 PM

Buggy Babes 2013 Ohio Amish Country Retreat:

Day 2 recap:

Today began with Sheila sleeping through the smoke detector (right outside the door). Seems that those persons responsible for breakfast allowed it to spill over onto the oven floor where it proceeded to stink mightily! Windows were opened and a fan was borrowed from Miller's Dry Goods next door to air the offending odor. By the time Sheila (aka Moi) awoke, breakfast was long over and the coffee pot was empty!!! Since my morning cannot begin until at least 2 cups of hi-test has been consumed, I made another pot...post haste! When finished, I poured a cup and proceeded to gather up some breakfast items. When I turned around to grab the coffee, Lisa (who had been loading the dishwasher) had already poured my go juice down the drain and put my cup in the dishwasher! Back to the cupboard for another cup.

A little sewing was going on but, it was getting a slow start. Several of the group took the road east to Berlin to shop while the rest of us headed west to Somewhere Sewing where we spent beau-coupe bucks! Some great deals for $3.00 per yard but most was at $8.50 - $8.99 per yard. Still much lower than many of the quilt shops these days. They also were kind enough to provide us a stack of neutral fat quarters from P & B Textiles to use as a door prize which we will draw names for tomorrow.

Finally back to the house for some delicious Ratatouille that Ginny made for lunch and some serious sewing! Much was accomplished during the afternoon & evening hours (pre-wine, of course). Photos to follow this update. Dinner was again delicious and followed up with a bottle of wine...well, okay, only half of it. We're saving the other half for tomorrow night.

Lisa & Judy finished the top of their peacock table cover. Absolutely beautiful job, ladies!

Ginny's table runner ...Done! Good job and it will look fine on my table, Ginny!

A sampling of some of the blocks made for this year's retreat! Can you guess the theme????

Lynda Overholt had to show off the top she made of last year's retreat blocks. I think she just issued us a challenge to get get our butts in gear and finish ours!

Linda Koller and one of her numerous Show & Tell quilts (She's putting us to SHAME!)

Here's one of Susie's cute masterpieces! How can I compete with these ladies??? We'll see how tomorrow goes, I guess. In fact, tomorrow's plan is to head into Berlin for a bit of shopping and then dinner at Der Dutchman where, rumor has it, Linda Koller is going to have Blackberry PIE before returning home to enjoy Caramel Cheesecake! Are we talking Sugar High????

Well, the wine seems to be having an effect and one has already toddled off to bed for the night. A few are watching some TV, I'm sitting here with Linda typing up this sterling report for Y'all, and there are still two diehards at their machines!

TTFN!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,735
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:22 PM

Sheila

More beautiful quilts.  I absolutely love the peacock table topper and Linda Koller's bigger quilt.  Fantastic ladies.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 8 of 12 (170 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use