This post has 261 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 6 2012 10:51 AM

I

Patti:

Looks like I have Donna's row to do this month.  Her theme is Northwoods, as is the block exchange.  So I will start on some blocks for her, and if they don't go well with her row, I will have some blocks for the exchange. 

Donna, you do such beautiful landscape quilts.  Are you working on a landscape row?

Hi Patti, I just posted my row last night in the "theme" thread.  Sorry it took me so long! (Seems like I am always apologizing for being late)  Nope, not a real landscape row.  I took the quick (?) and easy way and did a silhouette row (from a pattern).  Truth be told, it was not as easy as I thought it would be and with other things happening around here, I was lucky to get it this far along by now.  I hope to add some thread painting to it in the summer.  But, I am not sure... that may detract from the silhouette. Any thoughts and/or opinions???  (I posted the pic again here for reference only...see "theme" thread for comments on the color distortion.)

As I said there, anything in the Northwoods style will work great for me...

Is the block exchange still happening?  I thought it had gone away with the advent of the row quilts for those that joined in...

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:04 AM

Donna

Your row is gorgeous.  I don't think I would add anything more to it until you get your remaining rows.   Then if you so decide you could add some elements that blend with the other rows.  Great job as usual.

I don't think I will be making exchange blocks.  There just isn't enough hours in the day to get everything done..LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:08 AM

The block exchange is more like a "cookie exchange."  Bring as many blocks as you want to exchange with whoever else brings blocks.  It is entirely optional and many have opted not to do it.  I don't know if I will get any done, but I have some great patterns I would like to try. 

I like your silhouette.  And I already know what I am doing to go with it.  I have part of it drawn out already.   I found the perfect fabric in my stash. 

I won't say anymore.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 6 2012 1:47 PM

Donna, love your silhouettes!  I wonder if you could take this outdoors for another picture to try and get better color.  I'm seeing a lot of blue.  I want to match your colors the best that I can when it's my turn to make you a row.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 6 2012 8:17 PM

MNnancy:

Donna, love your silhouettes!  I wonder if you could take this outdoors for another picture to try and get better color.  I'm seeing a lot of blue.  I want to match your colors the best that I can when it's my turn to make you a row.

OK, got just saw this in the nick of time before the light starts to fade outside.  I think the color is more true...especially against the thyme in our patio.  Here is all 3 pics I just took:

Between the three you should get a better sense of the color in the background.  BUT, don't get too tied up with the colors here!  I will be very happy with any traditional northwoods colors. (Don't look too hard at the weeds in the thyme...my priority right now is  1. vegetable garden, 2. quilting, and 3. weeding.)

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:29 PM

Elizabeth last posted on April 21.  She had back surgery April 6, but was feeling good enough to sew.  Perhaps she over did it.  I'll drop her a note, and see  how she is doing.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, May 7 2012 8:38 PM

Wow, Donna, those are really pretty fabrics!  Thanks for the additional pictures.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 7 2012 10:46 PM

MNnancy:

Wow, Donna, those are really pretty fabrics!  Thanks for the additional pictures.

There both batiks.  The background is one I have been hanging onto for a few years...hoping for the right spot.  It really has a speckled tree feel to it and I thought it would be a good background for the deer silhouette.  There is enough green in there to blend with any forest greens, browns, dark reds, etc. Have fun...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Tue, May 8 2012 12:56 AM

I love everyone's rows.    This is really getting to be exciting.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450

Sorry everyone, between surgery and famuily problems I have been out of the loop.  Wiil have my row posted today or tomorrow

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, May 8 2012 9:55 AM

We were all late Elizabeth.  Lisa, for good reason, is also late.  She has provided us with a description.  If you don't have your row ready, can you give us a description of what you have and post a picture of the fabrics?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450
Elizabeth replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:28 AM

Will do, it is ocean themed and will post a picture later today

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450

OK!  I got it mostly done.  I will be adding more fish in that orange. y color

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340
Melody replied on Tue, May 8 2012 7:42 PM

MNnancy:

gini:
if we had 7 participants, and each quilt had 5 rows.   and we only did 5 rows each,   each of us would only work on 5 different quilts.  i think this could work if everyone was ok with it. 

Sounds do-able to me.

And to be sure I'm picturing this correctly, we each do one row in a given theme with a given color scheme for each of the five people we are assigned to.  The rows are all the same length so we don't have to mail them to the next person for fitting - just a picture so we avoid duplicates and create designs that will look good together.  We end up with a rectangular quilt.  Is that right?  

Example:  I could set my theme as "a winter night" with main colors specified as anything cool/wintery.  Then I'd make my first row, a bunch of snowmen, and post a picture of it.  Four of you would create additional rows.  When we get together at the retreat, I could add more rows if I wanted and/or sashing and my borders.  

Am I understanding correctly?  What width should we work with, and what minimum-maximum height for each row should we set?

I didn't understand any of this until I just saw the picture!! It's so adorable!!    I'm in!!  I usually hate to join sewing projects on a retreat because I end up taking my eye off of my goal of finishing up UFO's, but this would be so cool to make.  Just a row I mean.  I don't think doing that row and the flower block we are to bring would be too much for my feeble hands and brain to handle!! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, May 8 2012 9:04 PM

Melody:
I didn't understand any of this until I just saw the picture!! It's so adorable!!    I'm in!!  I usually hate to join sewing projects on a retreat because I end up taking my eye off of my goal of finishing up UFO's, but this would be so cool to make.  Just a row I mean.  I don't think doing that row and the flower block we are to bring would be too much for my feeble hands and brain to handle!! 

Hi Melody, I think you may have the Leavenworth retreat confused with another?  We don't have a flower block.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 10 of 18 (262 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use