2012 Leavenworth Row Quilt

rated by 0 users
This post has 261 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 11:10 PM

I think I understand.  If we have 7 people in the group, and we each made 5 rows, that's 35 total rows.  Then divided between 7 people, that would be 5 rows each.  Now are the 5 rows we make in addition to ours?

As for  deciding who makes for which person. We could get someone who is not in the group to draw the names for us, and then let each of us know who we have.  Everyone does their own row first and posts a picture, so that the other know what they are working off of. 

Did I understand?

the 7 of us would be Gini, Nana, Jacy, Nancy, Lisa, Donna B,  and me.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 11:21 PM

You know, if the 5 rows includes our own, that would make it a lot easier to get them done before retreat.  And 5 rows total is a good number. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 1:21 AM

jacy, they don't have to be matched perfectly,   if i made a row on a dark background and nobody had seen it,  i might get back 4 other rows on light backgrounds that didn't "flow" with the quilt.  that's why i think we should share photos, and to keep from doing the same  thing on a row.  it wouldn't look too good if everyone did a log cabin row, for instance.      these quilts are more charming if they don't match too much.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 1:25 AM

nancy, the rules look good

patti, i'm glad someone understood what i was trying to say.   the only hard part is divvying up who does which rows.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 1:56 PM

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the offer of space I know things can get over seen in posts. My DH said my post was a bit snitty and I did not mean it that way at all and am very sorry if that was how anyone took it. I am more then happy to see if you get a 2nd group started I just love this group and look forward to doing all the fun things I can with yous. I know we still have some time this month to see if anyone else would like to sign up so please just let me know. Again I am sorry if anyone took my last post the as snitty I so did not mean for it to sound that way.               Lisa

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 2:26 PM

Gini

We each do a row of our own plus 4 more rows right?    Could we maybe ask Marlene to put everyone's names on slips of paper.   Then take one person out and then pull 4 names for that person.   Once your name has been pulled 4 times it doesn't go back in the pot. 

For instance...  Take out Gini's name and pull 4 people to go to her.   Then put everyone's name back in the pot and pull for Patti etc.   When a person's name has been pulled 4 times it doesn't go back in the pot.    She could then PM everyone with the names she pulled for that person.

Does this make any sense to anyone but me????   ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:07 PM

This sounds like so much fun and I am going to enjoy watching all of your posts.  Your plan Gini sounds good - it probably is a good thing to just be making 5 rows especially with the months you have left between now and the retreat.

I have been in several either row swaps, or block swaps and one round robin and they are tons of fun.  I need to find a picture of an Amish row swap challenge that is done.  The others are still UFO's - :-(

The kitty cat one I was working on at last year's retreat is an example of too many rows - I think there was 9 in that one and I put a row on each side to widen it out as I really wanted them all to be in the quilt and it would have been a very long skinny quilt otherwise.

Have fun and I will be cheering you on from the sidelines.  What fun to see them all in October!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:47 PM

lisa, it's aok, you didn't sound snitty,     we have worked out a way for you to participate,  are you in?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:49 PM

nana, she could just make the seven or eight piles with 4 rows from a different person in each one, number them and let us pick numbers. wait. we can't pick one with our own row.   this hurts my head.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:55 PM

Gini

That is why I thought to pull 4 names for each person and once someone's name was pulled 4 times that name would come out of the pile.    I can't think of any other way to do it and keep it anonymous between participants.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 9:34 PM

Gini

Yes I'm in. And thank you for figuring it out so I can perticipate. So will we all make our first row and then post it for everyone to see or how will it work?    Lisa

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 9:46 PM

I think I have a solution.  Marge P, would you be willing to draw the names for us, and then let each of us know individually via private message who we have? That way none of us will know. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 9:57 PM

I like Nancy's instructions with the length being 42 inches.  So the first step will be for every one to make their own row first.  Should we all have ours done within a month?

Nancy's instructions are in the last post of page one of this thread. 

I am still playing around with ideas.  Think I will go to my sewing room and play with my stash.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 10:02 PM

Patti

I have been thinking and thinking about what theme I want to use.   So if you should see smoke signals clear across the country you will know what is going on....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 10:09 PM

Marge (or Marlene) will have to let us know who else is in each group with us so that we can send them pictures of our row as we complete each one.  

Do we also have to set a period of time for each person on each quilt?  If I'm working on Gini's quilt, for instance, one month has to be designated as "my turn."  If Jacy and I are both working on Gini's at the same time, we might accidently be doing the same design on our rows.

So it should look something like this:

quilt owner:      Gini          Nana        Donna        Jacy         Nancy        Wendy       Lisa    (am I missing someone?)

April            In April, we each create our own row and send a picture to Marge who will send the picture to the group members assigned to each of ours.

In the following month's, we would work on the row listed below our name.

May                   Nana's     Donna's     Jacy's        Nancy's     Wendy's     Lisa's     Gini's

June                 Donna's    Jacy's        Nancy's     Wendy's    Lisa's         Gini's      Nana's

July                   Jacy's        Nancy's     Wendy's     Lisa's       Gini's        Nana's     Donna's

Aug                   Nancy's     Wendy's    Lisa's         Gini's         Nana's     Donna's    Jacy's

EDIT:  Go to page SIX (6) for the final copy of the chart.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 18 (262 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use