2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:07 PM

Ladies

What kind of temps are we seeing in Leavenworth?  Need to start gathering clothes...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,759
Points 139,860

My step daughter lives in Wenatchee. She said the smoke is nasty in places. But she just drove through Leavenworth and said that area is fine. The smoke gathers in the valley around Cashmere and on to Wenatchee.

You guys should be fine.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,295

Well, as it sit here,  leg in cast,  up on a stool,  I'm realizing that I'm just not going to be able to make it to the retreat.  It will start just 4 weeks after I broke my ankle,  and I'm still not sure yet how much I'll be allowed to be walking on it.  But I do know that it will be much easier to continue to recuperate here at home, where I've learned to cope with my surroundings, than at the hotel,  with a flight of stairs & all.

So,  sadly,  I've decided that it's just best for me to stay home.  I do hope to be able to get to the Mennonite County Fair / Quilt Auction on the 6th... but that will be another week of recovery in the books,  and will probably still come with my knee scooter.

I know you'll all have a wonderful time.  Weather wise,  I'm guessing it will be in the low to mid 70's,  down into the 40's at night.  Always a chance of a drizzle or two,  it's still a bit early to forecast that far out.    I'm sure Patti can give you all a better idea, she lives much closer than I do.

Will want to see photos of the daily events...  have fun... wish I was there.

Cheryl

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,744
Points 419,934
gini replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:37 PM

cheryl, i'm so sorry you won't be able to make the retreat.  we'll gets lots of pictures for you.

nana, about the same as last year so far.  we are warmer than normal  by 5 degrees days and nights.  so 70's days and 40's nights.  we're only able to see 7 days out.  i'll give you a better report in a few days. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 305
Points 4,670

MNnancy:

For those of you working on celtic designs, did you see the free pattern download from Fons & Porters Love of Quilting?  "Celtic Cobblestones"

http://www.fonsandporter.com/content_downloads/FP-A-2729_Celtic.pdf

Beautiful.  Thanks!

Deb from Mall of America Land

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 9:22 PM

Nana, the forecast for the next seven days in Leavenworth is low to mid 80's.  It definitely has been warmer than usual this month - so far - but you always need to be prepared for cool nights and the possibility of showers.  This is Washigton, after all...LOL!  We've been in the mid-80's all week and this is unusual for here in mid September  (we had 2 nights of frost two weeks ago).  At some point this high pressure trough is going to move east, and then we will be in for cooler weather...including Leavenworth.  Could be in 8 days, or 15-20, but a cool down here will happen!  DH says don't pack yet, it;s too early to tell!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 9:23 PM

Oh, forgot to mention...the stand-by for NW natives is to dress in layers - so you can shed or add as necessary.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:53 PM

Donna

I definitely plan on doing the layer system.  I was just wondering if it was still warm enough for me to do short sleeve t shirts or if I should do long sleeve.   But at the moment it sounds like you guys are about the same as us.  We are 70s during the day and 40s to 50s at night.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,100

I believe you will find the temps pretty much like last year.  Here in the Seattle area and at the base of the Cascades where we live in Redmond, it has been averaging in the mid 70's in the daytime and 50's at night.  We had a couple of 80 highs this week, but the weatherman said tonight he doesn't believe we will have ay more of that.  Leavenworth is a bit higher in altitude so the air should be fresh and not effected by the smoke.  Down around Wenache the air quality is unsafe to breathe for a lot of people, but the mountain air should be good.

Last year we wore T-shirts most of the time but had a sweater, or a jacket available if we needed it when we went outside. Mostly, we didn't.  We did see some snow higher up which was light and pretty to look at, but really didn't effect our comfort zones.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.  Deb arrives here on Friday, day after tomorrow and of course, as her mom, I am so eager to have her with us again, even for a little while.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:17 AM

In Winthrop, WA we are forecast for 89 today and 90 tomorrow...way to hot and dry for this time of year.  But, it is what it is!!!  We are still is very serious fire danger mode.

Still smoky here (about 100 miles north of Leavenworth).  There are 3 separate fires burning east of us in our valley, but not a threat to us...other than the unpleasant smoke. It's much worse lower down the valley (east) toward the Columbia River.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:23 AM

Nana:

Donna

I definitely plan on doing the layer system.  I was just wondering if it was still warm enough for me to do short sleeve t shirts or if I should do long sleeve.   But at the moment it sounds like you guys are about the same as us.  We are 70s during the day and 40s to 50s at night.

Try this...long sleeved T-necks with short sleeve t-shirts on top (or not)!  I do that a lot!  Plus, I will probably take one sweatshirt and a zip-up light-weight "sweater".  That will suit a pretty wide range of temperatures!  ( I will have 3 of us and gear in my car, so we are going pretty light too!)

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 1:58 PM

Bertie Glass:
Last year we wore T-shirts most of the time but had a sweater, or a jacket available if we needed it when we went outside.

I was just looking at last year's pics, and I have my fleece jacket on in all the outdoor shots, and it must have been cool on Tea Party day.

Bertie, I'm sending a "hi" to Deb when she arrives.  I can't believe I have to travel to Washington to see her.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,423
Points 23,780
Maggie replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 6:22 PM

Love the picture.  Its only a little more than a week away.  Thought I was doing great getting almost packed already but then I keep thinking of all the things I still need to do before then.......I think I work best under a little pressure!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,423
Points 23,780
Maggie replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 6:40 PM

Just talked to Mrs. Anderson's asking if I could mail a box ahead of time to them and she said sure, people do it all the time!    That makes it soooo much easier and cheaper than checking a bag!   

Page 43 of 58 (867 items) «Prev4142434445Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use