2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:12 AM

here is a repeat of "thoughts" for this years retreats, with some updates.  Please note, everything listed below is voluntary.   None are required.

Block swap:  Instead of a block exchange where everyone is expected to bring a block to exchange with everyone else, this will be more like a cookie exchange.  Bring as many blocks as you want to swap.  Theme will be Northwoods, sizes finished 6x6, 6x12 or 12x12.  Several of us are not doing the block swap this year, as we focused on the row quilts, but some still wanted to bring blocks to swap.  I may do a few yet.

Rummage table: we had so many books, patterns, magazines last year that people did not want any more and were offering to everyone.  We put many of them in for door prizes, but we just had too many and it took too much time giving them out.  So for those items we will have a table that everyone can glean from during the retreat.  Who knows, you might find a pattern you want to use while you are there.

Door prizes: anyone can bring a door prize, but no one donate more than one prize.  Preferably this will be some hand made item such as a bag, pillow, or those lovely pincushion/thread catcher bags for putting by the sewing machine.  Or some other gifts, like a special book, ott light, gift certificate for the quilt shop, etc.

Gifts for everyone.  Several people brought gifts to give everyone last year, like the beautiful flower pincushions, needle books, kits for making hot pads or cupcake pincushions.  those little bags of m&ms, with the saying on them were cute too.  Someone also brought fat quarters for everyone as well.  Everyone appreciated these and enjoyed them.

Scrap bin:  We will have a scrap bin.  Possibly separated into light, medium and dark, that anyone can take from to use in a quilt, or applique.  So, if you have scraps to give away, bring some. ( but not all that you have, or we will have no space!)  Perhaps to go with this we can have a contest for the best baby or lap quilt or child's quilt to donate to some charity made from the scraps. 

Round robins: Several of us did sign up for this, and we are all eagerly waiting to see what everyone has done. 

Premie baby quilt contest.  This is a contest open to everyone.  There will be two ott lights to give away as prizes, for the best tops as voted on by the group.

Food:  Gini, if Sam wants to make that soup for us again, go ahead, that was wonderful.  And those cheese cakes.  I am hoping, since we will be the only guests at the lodge, except for one night, that we can use the kitchen, and have more space for the goodies.  I will bring fruit again, but perhaps not so much.

Oh, and last year did take a lot of work, and you all gave me so many wonderful things to thank me.  I am still discovering how cool some of those gifts are, and it will take me a long time to get around to using them all.  I will probably wear out the sweatshirt before I use everything I was given.  This year, it is not nearly as much work.  So please, no special gifts for me.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,271
Points 413,604
gini replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:22 AM

patti, i will bring the soup and cheesecakes again.   no problem.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630

I wish I could bake or cook but I don't think I can bring it over the border.  I will be happy to contribute $$$ for those who can bring such items or find a handy bakery or pick up a veggie tray or two.  Yes, I think thats what I'll do, put me down for some veggie trays.  If I remember correctly, there is a grocery store close by?  Patty, the fruit was awsome last year.  I had several pieces and would have eaten more but I thought I was getting piggy.  We picked up peaches in BC last week and I have been standing over the sink eating several times a day they are so good.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:09 PM

vegie trays would be good.  something healthy so we can feel less guilty about the chocolate, and the cheese cakes.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 283
Points 4,415

I am sooooooo excited to see everyone.  I am proud to say I made several throws for neices and nephews this year. But I tied them all as I am too chicken to try the actual quilting (no surprise there, huh:-).  When I tried my fabric got all bunched up, I had to tear it out and felt like a fool. I am finally doing triangles instead of just squares and rectangles. And setting my finished larger quilts aside until I get experience with the quilting process.  I need to just experiment on scrap fabric.

I keep changing my mind on what projects to bring.  Just like you all, I have so many.  And I bet I have bought 20 kits since you saw me, all easy quilts that I want to do! And I am a fabric shopaholic!  Love, love fabric. Scared at how much I might buy there again.  But such lovely kits, books and fabric, sigh.

Lisa, I just read about your hospital stay.  Praying all went well and you can join us.  You have so much heart! Hugs.

See you all soon,  And can't wait for the cheesecake, again, my fav!

Deb from Mall of America Land

PS.  I have a new surgery scar, too.  Quite a year for several of us, huh.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,271
Points 413,604
gini replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:02 PM

Debi'll bring some scraps and we'll work On your quilting.  You just need to jump in and start.   Have you been watching Barbara's progress.   In less Han a year ah is doing phenomenally

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,271
Points 413,604
gini replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:05 PM

Sorry. The iPhone has a mind of it's own about which words I am using

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:35 PM

Woo Hoo    I think it is time to start packing.   I can hardly wait.   I am really needing this respite this year.    I can almost taste the cheesecake already...LOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,100

This has nothing to do with food, but I should say I loved the fruit last year. For supper in our room, I had a couple of pieces each night along with some nuts I brought with me and I lost weight.  Yeh! Loved the Lingenberries too.  What treats we had.  We can't get fresh fruit like you brought in the stores so it was so special to get ones directly off a tree with sooo much flavor.  So please don't cut back too far. ;-)

But to the question I have, Patti.  Last year I brought an ironing board and iron, a large cutting mat, and some other small stuff.  Do you want me to bring these again?  Deb and I will have our car.

I too am so looking forward to this year in Leavenworth.  I will be wonderful to see everyone, and meet the ones that are new to me.  I was afraid for a while I might not get to go, but my hip is fine now.  Good P.T. and sour cherry juice! 

Patti you really have planned this well.  I, too, really appreciate all of your efforts, and your clear instructions about everything.  See you all soon.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,295

Well,  don't know what it is with us "women of a certain age".... but it seems it's always something.  Others have had illnesses,backs, knees,  and now it's my ankle.  I fell off a step & broke my left ankle last Sunday,  not supposed to  need surgery, but will have it checked again Monday.  HOPEFULLY by the 30th I will be able to be walking on it & be able to come to the retreat.  Might not be doing as much sight-seeing,  but it's my left ankle, so I can still sew.  But a few things I'd planned to get done for the retreat  are going in the "that was a good idea" bucket.  Just hope to have enough projects kitted up to bring to keep me busy.

Keeping fingers & toes crossed that we all make it there

Cheryl

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:26 PM

What ever is ripe, I will bring. 

Cheryl, hope your ankle heals well.   Let us help you carry everything, so you just have to worry about getting  your self around.  Let me know how you are doing, and we will do what we can to make things easier for you.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,271
Points 413,604
gini replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:02 AM

cheryl, i'm sorry about your ankle.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:09 AM

Cheryl

Ouch....  we will do our best to help you forget that ole ankle.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 11:53 AM

I am so excited.  I can hardly wait to meet everyone.  This year has gone by so fast, it seems like yesterday I was drooling over all the pictures of the 2011 retreat.   Veges, apples, pears, and sweet and salty snacks all sound great.    My back only gives me problems if I stand or sit in one position too long so those of you with mobility issues will be doing me a favor if you let me retrieve things for you.      3 weeks from today at this time I'll be on the plane on my way.   wooo hoooooo!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:32 PM

Patti:

what to bring.  The books on Celtic designs and quilts, the one on refractions?  I can't quite remember the name.  Ooooo, maybe I will have to do one of those!   I could do one of those for a baby quilt.  I think I will use anything new I learn on this retreat on baby quilts. 

Refractions?   I've tried googling it and can't find anything.  Is this something I should pack for?   Sounds like fun.    Defintely going to make a tube quilt but probably not till I get back from retreat.  

Anything new on Lisa?  

Page 35 of 58 (867 items) «Prev3334353637Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use