2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:09 PM

I agree, Elizabeth!  The price of the sleepers qualifies them as estates!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:15 PM

I love the train.  I really want to do it again sometime, even if I have to sleep in a closet again.  Of course, if you pay for the closet, (the two seats with window, where things fold down to two shelves and a door that is the size of a closet with two shelves) you get your meals free.  And champane at the start, and free wine and cheese tasting, etc.) 

For those of you traveling by train or plane, let us know if you want a sewing machine.  We had several extras that were not even used last year.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:57 PM

Last year I traveled from Everette to Leavenworth by train.  Joyce and I both stowed our sewing machines in the luggage compartment and sat on the upper level.  We had no problems at all with anyone bothering anything.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,424
Points 23,800
Maggie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:24 PM

Patti:

I love the train.  I really want to do it again sometime, even if I have to sleep in a closet again.  Of course, if you pay for the closet, (the two seats with window, where things fold down to two shelves and a door that is the size of a closet with two shelves) you get your meals free.  And champane at the start, and free wine and cheese tasting, etc.) 

For those of you traveling by train or plane, let us know if you want a sewing machine.  We had several extras that were not even used last year.

Champagne, cheese,  wine?   I want to ride on that train!    Getting a rail pass for a month or 2 and riding all around the U.S. is on my bucket list.   I've taken the Sunset Ltd  (L.A. to Houston) and the Southwest Chief (Flagstaff to Kansas City) and found a big difference between the trains.  Northern route cars were newer/ cleaner cars and had AC outletts at each seat.  The southern route was more "worn" and I had to go to the observation car to charge phone and laptop.    I'm not real picky so both round trips were fun.   I like having the 1 and 2 hour layovers during the daytime so you can explore the area -- depending on the area.   

I plan on doing mostly hand work at the retreat but may bring one quilt top to work on.   Maybe 2 of us could share an extra machine?    I'm hoping next year I'll be one of the drivers and I can take extra supplies.  

Thank you Patti for arranging all of this.   Oh yes, and do you think if I priority mailed a package to me at Mrs. Anderson's (so it would arrive saturday or monday) they would accept it?    I remember last year they only wanted to speak with the wagon master so I don't want to get on their "pain in the butte" list.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 3:04 PM

last year we did get a package sent to us.  So it would probably be OK, but we do come with all sorts of tools and and toys to share, and we will be in the same building as a quilt store as well.   Some of us, (I won't mention any names)  had to send packages home, because they bought too much.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,295

Patti:

last year we did get a package sent to us.  

I'm going to be driving up from Tri-Cities, WA (about 3 hours) and will have plenty of room in the car for packages (if I don't pack too much for me, lol).  So, if someone wants to send a box to me the week before, I'd be glad to bring it up to the retreat.  But I would think they wouldn't have a problem accepting one at the hotel either.   Drop me a note if you want to work something out.

Cheryl

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,424
Points 23,800
Maggie replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 1:13 AM

Thank you Cheryl and Patti.    I'll wait till begining of Sept. and then call Mrs. Anderson's to see if they okay it.   Meanwhile I'll start seeing how much i need to stuff in my carryons.  If its just scissors and needles I can't fit, then maybe I'll just take a cheap pair so I can applique on the plane or in the hotel and if TSA needs to take them, so be it, I'll get the flight attendant to cut for me.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,348
Points 27,440
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 10:13 PM

My plans have changed again and I need to fly.  Does someone have a machine I can borrow?

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,348
Points 27,440
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 5:52 PM

Booked my flight for the retreat!!!!!  So excited can not wait to meet you all.  Hoping there is an extra machine for me.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,424
Points 23,800
Maggie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:47 PM

Is it really only six more weeks????    So many decisions:  what to take, what not to take, do I really need to take more than one change of clothes?  JK    Am I really getting on an airplane .... volunarily?    OMG    Am I getting brave in my old age or what!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,759
Points 420,204
gini replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:25 AM

jacy has an extra machine. nana has already dibsed mine.  i have a featherweight if you know how to use one.

remember,  a sweatshirt has 4 clean sides.

an old rule of thumb for traveling, pack your bag and gather your cash.   next,  take out half your clothes and double the amount of money you are taking.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:51 AM

How about a list of all who need machine's and who is bringing a machine for that person, or at least what is available.  I think last year there were several that were untouched and we don't all need to bring extras.  I don't remember who said they were bringing for who.  At one point I think I said I would bring one for someone, but now I don't remember, and don't want to have 2 people think I am bringing an extra for them, when I only have one extra.

It is nice though to have a couple extra extras in case someone's breaks down.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:55 AM

I can hardly believe it is only 6 weeks away.   I am already getting excited to see all of you again.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,424
Points 23,800
Maggie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:56 AM

My post disappeared so if this is a duplicate -- sorry.

Good idea Patti.    I could use a machine and would be more than happy to share an extra with someone.

1.   Maggie

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 7,270
lcqultr46 replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:31 AM

Patti:
It is nice though to have a couple extra extras in case someone's breaks down.

Yes, good idea Patti. I have a Singer 301, big sister to the Singer 221 featherweight. Very basic machine that is great for patchwork and sewing seams, no electronics involved, that I plan to bring for a backup or anyone who needs one.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Page 30 of 58 (867 items) «Prev2829303132Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.