2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

Maggie:
Does anyone know the part of town where Amtrak is? 

Maggie

King Street Station is on the south end of downtown Seattle. If you go to the Amtrak Seattle website and click on directions, it will show you a map.

During the day it's an easy walk to Pioneer Square and the waterfront if you have time to sightsee during the day.  I've lived in the PNW all my life and spent countless hours enjoying the waterfront, Safeco Field and Pioneer Square but I wouldn't recommend wandering around the area in the evening.

Here's a website for hotels near the station.  I can't recommned one or the other as I've never stayed in any of them. You can call the hotels to get more information about transport to and from the station. You'll probably need a taxi.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at Leavenworth. It was fun last year and I'm sure will be more than nutsy this year.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 3:59 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I'm sure will be more than nutsy this year.

Judy

Are you trying to say some of us are nuts????

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 4:33 PM

Nana:

Judy T-Bellingham:

Judy

Are you trying to say some of us are nuts????

or all of us??

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 5:01 PM

Thank you for the information Judy.    If I take the train from Seattle I will have most of the day on Sunday to wander around as it doesn't leave until late afternoon.  The coast train doesnit' get into Seattle till almost 9:00 p.m. Saturday night so definitely will not walk to hotel dragging a suitcase that time of night -- kinda like painting a great big bullseye on my back! 

I am getting so excited,.....

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

Maggie:

Nana:

Judy T-Bellingham:

Judy, Are you trying to say some of us are nuts????

or all of us??

Well, Nana, if the shoe fits....Maggie, I guess you are just going to have to wait and decide for yourself. We are a group of refined, dignified quilters who never do ANYTHING embarrassing (right Nana?)  And be warned Maggie. lots of us bring cameras and record everything! Especially Kris and MN Nancy.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 5:31 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Maggie:

Nana:

Judy T-Bellingham:

Judy, Are you trying to say some of us are nuts????

or all of us??

Well, Nana, if the shoe fits....Maggie, I guess you are just going to have to wait and decide for yourself. We are a group of refined, dignified quilters who never do ANYTHING embarrassing (right Nana?)  And be warned Maggie. lots of us bring cameras and record everything! Especially Kris and MN Nancy.

Uh Oh, maybe I'll borrow Marlene's cape to put over my face!   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 5:52 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
never do ANYTHING embarrassing (right Nana?)
Judy T-Bellingham:
do ANYTHING embarrassing (right Nana?) 

I didn't see anyone do anything embarrassing.  We are a very dignified group of quilters.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

Nana:
I didn't see anyone do anything embarrassing.  We are a very dignified group of quilters.

Ifff I could stop gig--gggling at that stttateement I I..ii ccoulld tyype beetter.....ROFLOL. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:05 AM

Thought I would post the list again.  Couple changes.    And Judy T  and DH are going to stay somewhere else. Also coming but staying elsewhere is MnNancy.  If I take room 5 for the week, I will need to join in with someone else for the last night.  Rooms 1-3 are downstairs, on the main floor and is for the most part reserved for those who would have problems navigating the stairs to the second floor which are very steep.  (this is the oldest Hotel in Leavenworth.) Room 4 is the sewing room and is also on the main floor.  Go to Mrs. Anderson's Lodging House, Quilter's heaven to look at the rooms.  (as a group our costs are different.) 

Room 1: Marge P and Donna B

Room 2: Deb M and Bertie

Room 3: Lisa, Spud

Room 5: (not available on last night, DH and I might take it on the first night as it is our anniversary.)

Room 6: Judy E.

Room 7: Vivian, shared bath with room 8.

Room 8: Elizabeth and sister,  shared bath with room 7.

Room 9: Quiltless Kath

Room 10: Nana, Gini, Kris, Jacy, Cheryl H, Maggie

That makes 20 of us, if Elizabeth's sister is coming. 

We have 2 on the waiting list, 1) Yvonne, 2) Evette.

Please let me know if any of you are not coming, as those on the waiting list are wanting to know if they have a place.  Or let me know if the room assignments need to be changed. Or if I have you alone and you want to share a room, etc.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:19 AM

Plans for the retreat:

Block swap:  Instead of a block exchange where everyone is expected to bring a block to exchange with everyone else, this will be more like a cookie exchange.  Bring as many blocks as you want to swap.  Theme will be Northwoods, sizes finished 6x6, 6x12 or 12x12.  I plan on bringing a variety.   I got bored last year making the same leaf over and over.  I still want to get everyone's signature however.  So I might have a label for myself for everyone to sign. Perhaps we can get a group picture at the beginning and have it printed, to be printed then or later onto fabric. 

Rummage table: we had so many books, patterns, magazines last year that people did not want any more and were offering to everyone.  We put many of them in for door prizes, but we just had too many and it took too much time giving them out.  So for those items we will have a table that everyone can glean from during the retreat.  Who knows, you might find a pattern you want to use while you are there.

Door prizes: anyone can bring a door prize, but no one donate more than one prize.  Preferably this will be some hand made item such as a bag, pillow, or those lovely pincushion/thread catcher bags for putting by the sewing machine.  We could have a gift certificate for the quilt store, or some other cool items like an ott light.  Or a bag of really nifty tools such as needle threader, rulers, marking pens, cutters, etc. 

Gifts for everyone.  Several people brought gifts to give everyone last year, like the beautiful flower pincushions, needle books, kits for making hot pads or cupcake pincushions.  those little bags of m&ms, with the saying on them were cute too.  Someone also brought fat quarters for everyone as well.  Everyone appreciated these and enjoyed them.

Scrap bin:  We will have a scrap bin.  Possibly separated into light, medium and dark, that anyone can take from to use in a quilt, or applique.  So, if you have scraps to give away, bring some. ( but not all that you have, or we will have no space!)  Perhaps to go with this we can have a contest for the best baby or lap quilt or child's quilt to donate to some charity made from the scraps. 

Round robins or row quilts?  anyone interested in doing this?  Let me know and we can see if we have enough people interested to have a group or two. I like Gini's idea of having a row quilt as the rows can be done ahead of time.  If doing a row quilt, does anyone want to have a theme of fabric color for their quilt, so that those making a rows ahead of the retreat can come with one made?  Would also need to decide on length.

Oh, and last year did take a lot of work, and you all gave me so many wonderful things to thank me.  I am still discovering how cool some of those gifts are, and it will take me a long time to get around to using them all.  I will probably wear out the sweatshirt before I use everything I was given.  This year, it is not nearly as much work.  So please, no special gifts for me.

Food:  Gini, if Sam wants to make that soup for us again, go ahead, that was wonderful.  And those cheese cakes.  I am hoping, since we will be the only guests at the lodge, except for one night, that we can use the kitchen, and have more space for the goodies.  I will bring fruit again, but perhaps not so much.

I am getting so excited already!  I could use someone to help with getting everyone their keys the first day, as everyone arrives.  It will be DH's and my anniversary.  He will be with me that first night, so you all will get to meet him.  He doesn't know it yet, but for an anniversary gift, I am going to ask him to sing us a song or two.   Such a beautiful tenor voice.  He has been asked back this year to be the quest tenor at the Bach fest in Chelan.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:04 PM

Hi Patti

I will still be there to hand out keys for you my husband and I are there the night before also. He will be leaving and hiking the enchanchtments again so count on me for keys and stuff on check in day. I would love to do a round robin or row quilt also so when you know how many and what kind let me know and I will get started if that is how it works. I have been working on blocks to trade this year and I also like making diffrent blocks not all the same some are but not 20 of each. I would love to supply the prize for the best little donated charity quilt if that is ok everyone loved all the work put into the baby quilts donated last year and would love to do that again this year. Well just let me know and I will start looking for a prize or 2 and what type of quilts people might like to make. Getting excited to see everyone again and have lots of fun.         Lisa

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:56 PM

sam is on  for the soup, and i'll make the cheesecakes.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 3:14 PM

Gini

Does your lovely husband make homemade salsa????   

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:27 PM

gini:

sam is on  for the soup, and i'll make the cheesecakes.

Yummy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:30 PM

Patti,

the plans sound good. As of this moment I'm still in although I haven't worked out the finances etc just yet. When would you need us to be absolutely sure one way or another. I'm hoping things work out and I can come. The train is out for me as it requires too much time away from work so I'll have to fly in again.

Page 8 of 58 (867 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use