Smoky Mountains Retreat, June 24-30, 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 839 Replies | 35 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130
hoffymom replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 9:44 PM

Kathy Wray and I are planning to drive to Lake Lanier  Ga. on Friday and then to Cosby Tn. on Saturday. Will drive to the lodge on Sunday. Looking forward to meeting everyone.  My quilt squares are just about done and wish we could get on the road now. I assume the lodge kitchen is equipped with pots and pans.  I can't remember if we are suppose to bring linens and our own pillow? See everbody next Sunday!!

Barb Hoffmann, Middleburg, Fl

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 9:48 PM

Barb, linens are provided and the kitchen has pots and pans.  I'm am bringing my own pillow cause I can't sleep well on others , See you also next Sunday look foward to meeting you . have a safe trip . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,292
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 11:09 PM

Barbara,

it's called "Quilter in the Gap". Here's a link to her blog; you can download the podcast from there or subscribe on iTunes (if you use it).

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 5:40 AM

I didn't realize there wwere so many of us from Florida...it will be fun meeting other quilt lovers that are close to home.  Looks like most of us are taking different routes, I am just fulfilling my lifetime dream of going to Graceland on my way, well out of my way...have you ever looked at going to Memphis from FL, you almost can't get there from here so it just forces me to go to Biloxi and try to win some "fabric" money:)

And yes, I am going to be the SMM reporter and picture poster, so hopefully there will be wifi so I can do it early in the morning everyday and make all those "stay at homers" so jealous:)  I am so excited about this, my first ever retreat, and can hardly wait...I hope we don't wear Mary out so we can convince her to make this a yearly event.  See you all soon and drive carefully, would hate to have to stop and pick up fabric off the roadsie:)

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 5:41 AM

I didn't realize there wwere so many of us from Florida...it will be fun meeting other quilt lovers that are close to home.  Looks like most of us are taking different routes, I am just fulfilling my lifetime dream of going to Graceland on my way, well out of my way...have you ever looked at going to Memphis from FL, you almost can't get there from here so it just forces me to go to Biloxi and try to win some "fabric" money:)

And yes, I am going to be the SMM reporter and picture poster, so hopefully there will be wifi so I can do it early in the morning everyday and make all those "stay at homers" so jealous:)  I am so excited about this, my first ever retreat, and can hardly wait...I hope we don't wear Mary out so we can convince her to make this a yearly event.  See you all soon and drive carefully, would hate to have to stop and pick up fabric off the roadsie:)

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:51 AM

Thanks Kris I will definitely check it out . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 7:02 AM

SMM. 8 days to go ,gonna start our packing ,getting our projects ready ,and our class things ready. double check our equipment, charge our phones and cameras. Make those list so we don't forget things, get our  faces exercises for all the smiling and laughing we will do .Make sure the pets will have pleanty of food,as well as the family,set the recorder to have all your favorite shows saved, get our our gifts ready and try to get some rest in the next few days LOL  ME THE CHEERLEADER

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 7:33 AM

I finished cutting out my 4 projects last night.  Have all of those bagged and ready to go.   I also have a gift wrapped for the white elephant.  Now I just need to start packing everything.  WooHoo....  only a few more days to go.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 8:05 AM

Hello to everyone.  I've been reading along but not able to write back until today.  I am so ready for this retreat.  Haven't started to pack but hope to finish at school on Monday.  That will leave lots of time to finish up packing and sewing my squares.  Is the Cumberland Gap on the way south from PA?  Sure would like to visit on Saturday.  DH and I are driving part way on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. Excitement is building.

My body feels like I've been hit by a Mack truck.  Not only did my teaching assignment change but I've had to empty two rooms of 9 years of teaching materials in the last three days.  I'm not even going to be in the same school next year.  In ten hour days I've packed over 30 boxes of files, posters and books. My dining room looks like a storage shed.  Thank the good Lord for DH and his day off yesterday or I think I would have had to pull out of the retreat.  But ....... that's all going to have to wait until after my R & R time with all you wonderful quilters.  I'm so thankful for Barbara's cheers and Mary's wonderful preparations.  How about the wedding decorations - Thanks Sara.  Can't wait to meet all of you.  Better get to planting the annuals and sewing the squares.  Have a great weekend. See you next Sunday!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 8:19 AM

Barbara:
Make those list

Thanks for the reminder to make a list!! And the reminder about the white elephant! Been so focused on getting my project ready to pack that all other preparations just melted away. 8 days!

Sharon

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

Sharon of Raleigh:

And the reminder about the white elephant!

If you don't have something to wrap for the white elephant exchange, don't buy anything. I think we will have plenty with what companies have sent. I just wanted to make sure we had enough to go around. We will put all the gifts together and I will make sure there are enough from my stash of gifts. The rest will be daily drawings for door prizes. Some of the gifts are truly amazing!

Got to wrap gifts and find all the stuff the kitten who adopted us has batted down to the floor. A sewing room is no place for a playful kitten. I'm gonna be crawling around to pack. Good thing my sewing room/office is so small!

I'm so excited! One week! DH will be there to help with bags. Told him I was renting him out when you get there. Also, any other men will be busy with helping unload (unless they are physically unable to). 

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 365
dkring replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 9:18 AM

Reading all of the excitement and the side trips as makes me want to be there too.  I hope to make it Wednesday or Thursday if I am lucky both.  Will keep reading all the posts and wishing. Dianna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 4:02 PM

Mimi,

You'd have to make a bit of a detour to go to Cumberland Gap.  If you look on a map or road atlas, you'd see taking Rt. 11W off of I-81 just as you get into Tn. or maybe just before the state line.  Rt. 11W to Rt. 25E.  Cumberland Gap National Historical Park is right on Rt. 25E.  To come back to I-81, follow Rt. 25E all the way back to I-81.  You'll get back on at exit 8 or I-81.   To find it on a map, if you find where tip of Virginia, Middlesboro, Ky., and Harrogate, Tn. come together.  There's a spot up on top of the Gap that shows the state lines of Virginia and Tn. so you can stand in both states at the same time, one foot in each state....hehe   Hope this helps.

Diana in East Tn.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 8:32 PM

We spent the morning at the museum in Paducah.  One of the docents walked around with us and discussed the quilts and the quilters who made them.  What a nice tour.

Then off to the best Kentucky b-b-q to shore up my strength for hancocks. WOW.  

We drove the road "land between the lakes" and saw a herd of buffalo with their babies.  On down the road to cross the Mississippi, and spend the night in Missouri.  

Branson tomorrow, where I can unpack and repack everything for the smokeys.  It will be nice to have a few days to rest before I have to crawl in a car again.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 8:39 PM

Diana:
Hope this helps.

It helps quite a bit Diana.  Thanks so much.  DH really wants to go but we will have make plans to see it while we are in Tennessee.  It doesn't seem that far from the Lodge.  Maybe an afternoon trip with dinner out somewhere?  Oh it 's so good to be thinking of something other than packing and moving school stuff.  Thanks again.

Page 42 of 56 (840 items) «Prev4041424344Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use