Borderland Butternut and Blue Project

rated by 0 users
This post has 301 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Hubby and I did that too, Suchoki!  After dinner, we took our books (he's reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) out on the patio and started reading. After a few minutes I noticed he was reading over my shoulder but didn't pay him any mind. A little while longer and he couldn't contain himself - had to  comment on the compass-looking star block (can't remember offhand the name of the block - Southern Star???). I knew it was a lost cause after that.  So, started at the beginning again and read the stories together. Kinda romantic for two old farts, ya know?

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
that is so cool!

MelodyP

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Guy's I live in the middle of where all this blood was being shed! Creepy hu! Honey and I are going to find some of the sights the author refers to. Some of them have been covered by progress known as Kansas City with out marker or memory but the Shawnee Mission is a sight we will go to and the caves that are mentioned where the Bushwackers hid looks scruffy still and not far. Man, this quilt will be great!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, May 31 2012 10:58 AM

Hey Y'all this is so exciting for all of you , nice way to spend an evening with your spouses. So quilitng is not only a great adventure its an historic one, I'm so very gald that Candy mentioned doing this quilt and I have learned some very intresting things about the area in which I live. Medoldy was showing me some of these areas when she and I went out to lunch last week with Elaine and her sister. It was really intresting . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, May 31 2012 11:00 AM

I had another idea ,while we are doing this quilt we should all keep a journal of our quilt , then when we are finished we will have our own history to got with the quilt .What do y'all think about this ??barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Thu, May 31 2012 2:42 PM

Barbara, I think it is a great idea. Not only that, but I am going to write the name of each lady the blocks are named for, on the front of each block.So, it will be like a friendship quilt.  I am so excited about this. Can't wait to get going. I will do a scrappy one also, to keep costs down. Found quilt a bit to use already but will have to get some more lights and some mediums also. Darks are totally covered. I have a fabric that I am drawing all the other colors from. That makes it easier for me. I think I will get a small journal book to use and cover it in one of the fabrics I use. Oh, now I AM SO EXCITED, i CAN'T BREATHE!!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Thu, May 31 2012 2:45 PM

Jenns, who would have thunk  a quilt book would bring two old farts together. 

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

In the book there's a picture of the back of a quilt that documented these stories, printed them on fabric and used the stories for the back of the quilt.  Thought that was a clever idea.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Thu, May 31 2012 4:15 PM

Jenn, I saw that. Now that's a great idea. Better then writing on the blocks. Though I still like that idea, too. I am going to look up the genealogy of each of these people and see what I can find out.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
The Journal I had planned on doing but was going to add pictures of some of our day trips around the area. Just figured everyone would think I was a bit out in left field, I am but don't tell everyone! ; D

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, May 31 2012 6:26 PM

Medody ,I think that is a great idea, You have an advantage over some of us since you are so close to alot of the areas, what a lucky break ,very exciting .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,465
Points 23,995

I'm excited to get started, but I have to wait until this weekend is over. I am having a huge garage sale at my son's to try to get rid of a lot of my old flea market stock. MY garage is full of stuff. Then next week I am very busy, too, so I may have to wait until next weekend to get started. Darn, too much going on in my life. I also have my two youngest grandchildren this weekend. Yikes, why don't I learn to say NO?

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,407
Points 62,015
Bonita replied on Thu, May 31 2012 11:20 PM

Barbara and all, After reading all the posts about this BOM I think I'll join in. Ordered the book tonight so it will be here in a few days. So I will catch up when it comes. I lived in Columbia Mo. for 3 years many years ago, that's where I met my ex-husband... now that was a civil war all by it's self. LOL We used to take road trips all over MO and I most likely have been or drove by some of the places in the book.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Bonita, glad you will be joining us. We can share war stories! LOL I haven't even started the first block yet, so I you'll be okay. I'm trying to finish up another CW quilt, at least get the blocks done, before really getting into this one.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
I love this idea. These ladies were supporting their cause just like the other side was. They need to be remembered. In the research I have done these folks were not the big plantation owners, but the common people just doing the best they knew how. Again, misguided as it was, they didn't want to be told how to do it. Don't blame them.

MelodyP

Page 2 of 21 (302 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use