Doll quilts as part of a larger quilt?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340
Judy Taylor-Bellingham Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:54 AM

I just made my first doll quilt from the Civil War Sewing Circle book. I love it and want to make all of them.But I'm not sure what I would do with a bunch of doll quilts. I'm thinking about taking the doll quilts from this book and joining them into a large quilt. It sounds like fun and I'll have to give this more thought. I'd love to incorporate Barbara's parasol lady as one of the sections. Maybe stitch in some family stories and/or photos into another block? I know the various doll quilts aren't all the same size but I'm sure I could fudge the dimensions a bit so they all fit.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Oh, I do hope you make a quilt like that!  I think it would be lovely! 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:44 PM

Judy, that is a fantastic idea. I may do something like that myself ,I have arlead decided ,that  I have to have a quilt  with the belles. I will look foward to seeing what you do with yours...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 1:04 PM

Judy, They are all different sizes so how would you adjust for that?  I was going to make 4 and hang them together on the wall.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
They are all different sizes so how would you adjust for that

Sukochi. I think I can go from the largest doll quilt size and adjust the others with extra borders or slightly larger or smaller sashings. For example, the scrap doll quilt  I just made is about 17x22. The Civil War Stars Doll quilt measures 19-1/2 x 19-1/2 so I could just adjust the borders on that one to make it the same size.

They would look beautiful as wall hangings, I think that's a great idea. This quilt is destined to be our bed quilt so perhaps I'll make some extra for wall hangings in the bedroom. I hadn't thought of that before. Thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:05 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I just made my first doll quilt from the Civil War Sewing Circle book. I love it and want to make all of them.But I'm not sure what I would do with a bunch of doll quilts. I'm thinking about taking the doll quilts from this book and joining them into a large quilt. It sounds like fun and I'll have to give this more thought. I'd love to incorporate Barbara's parasol lady as one of the sections. Maybe stitch in some family stories and/or photos into another block? I know the various doll quilts aren't all the same size but I'm sure I could fudge the dimensions a bit so they all fit.

Judy,

I am so excited about jointing this group to learn more about fabrics and blocks from this era, but I have no one to make doll size quilts for.  Although I have 3 daughters, all grown, I have 2 grandsons who play with trucks and trains, no dolls :(.  

I was thinking of just making them larger - throw quilt size - 

Anyone's thought on this?

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:50 AM

Annie, welcome to the group. I see no reason you can not make it bigger for a lap quilt. I suggesed this size due to all the holiday season coming up cause it was an small and most times simple to make .WE look foward to seein gyou quilt..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340

Annie:
was thinking of just making them larger - throw quilt size - 

Annie. That's what I'm going to do. As I mentioned in my post, my plan is to make the doll quilts and hopefully join them together for one large quilt. But you could easily simply make one of the doll quilt larger by adding blocks and/or borders. Good luck and have fun with it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:10 AM

Judy,

That sounds like a great idea.  I am also attempting to start DWR, I just got my JF template in the mail.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340

Annie:
I am also attempting to start DWR, I just got my JF template

Annie. I feel like such a dummy, but what's DWR and JF stand for?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:27 PM

DWR  double wedding ring , JF John Flynn, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:42 PM

DASWOUIAM?

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 3:30 PM

I probably will end up waiting till my christmas money comes in order to be able to fabric shop at all for these projects so it is good that you started small in my mind lol. I do enjoy the pictures in our media files they are gorgeous girls ;) keep up the good jobs.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,180
Jacy replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 10:23 PM

Annie:

I was thinking of just making them larger - throw quilt size - 

Anyone's thought on this?

Annie:
I have no one to make doll size quilts for.

Annie, they don't have to be for dolls, miniature/small quilts  make great wallhangings.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use