Our first project ,and easy one

rated by 0 users
This post has 108 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011 4:45 PM

...Since this is our first project  I thought we'd start with a nice and  easy one,  Doll quilts are for some reason becoming a big thing in the shops now , so I thought we 'd so some . There are many books you can use to get some easy patterns but I think the best one is  The Civil War Sewing Circle  by Kathleen Tracy,  there are so many really wonderful doll quilts in this book you should be able to find one and make it your own.  Tell us which pattern you picked and alittle history on it if you are able to .. but mostly have fun ,when you have finished them you can post them here and in the media section.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 11:02 AM

I just ordered my book from Connecting Threads.  They had the best price -- $14.99 + shipping.  The best price from Amazon was $16.74.

I'm eager to get the book and get started!  Hopefully, they won't mess up my order like they did the last one and I'll get it sometime next week.

Sheri

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 12:37 PM

Sheri, that fine,nice thing about this group no deadlines. I 'm just gonna post a project maybe monthly and you can work on it at you lesiure.  Now I am pallning of doing a BOM but I really think I'll wait until the hoildays are  over ,I think most of us are real overwhelmed with projects right now ,thathis why this simple one ..have lots of sun..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 2:52 PM

FYI, if yiou google on Civil War Sewing Circle, the author has a website with free patterns.  She also has a blog.

Sukochi

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 3:50 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

FYI, if yiou google on Civil War Sewing Circle, the author has a website with free patterns.  She also has a blog.

Thanks for that information.  Free is always agreeable with my pocket book.  LOL

Candy in Norborne MO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 5:08 PM

Thanks Sukochi, that is a very big help ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:41 AM

There are alot of really good sites online for both of these fabrics , I will try and get a list together for everyone on some of them. I ask that you be patient as I have alot going on at this time as I'm sure we all do..

I have an Idea about setting up a birthday block exchange for next year.with this group ,let me know what you all think ,It is not required you join this is all volenteer. .But if you sign up to do it ,you must please stick with it .it is really awesome when you get those bocks in the mail ,Its very emotional..Once i hear how you all feel about it I will work something up ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 8:29 AM

I have decided to go on a field trip for the Parasols and Fabric Group. I don't live very far from Chicamauga BattleField, so will go there and see if they have any quilts, or doll quilts in the museum. Fun!!  Can't wait to go. Maybe tomorrow.  It has been 40 years since we went there last . I think a Fall picnic would be fun, too. Wish you all could go with us.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

I am excited about this group.  I was actually thinking of doing one of the Doll Quilts from that book or other patterns that I have here with the fabric from the swap.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:54 AM

Sukochi, what a treat ,we will look foward to you report  LOL and pictures..Oh and have a great time ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:56 AM

Margaret, sounds like a plan, I just suggested the doll quilts form that book ,but you can use any doll quilt pattern you like . I just think if we start out easy, with all the other things going on ,no one will feel rushed.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 3:22 PM

I have started my doll quilt.  Having never done a tiny quilt before, I am amazed at the size of the blocks.  I had no idea I could sew something this tiny.  It will be so cute, though.  Can't wait to get finished.  I am going really slow as this is just so little and my fingers are NOT.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 12:44 AM

Sukochi, yes I lnow it is so weird to one so small esp after all the larger quilits of lately, look foward to seeing what you have done ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,465
Points 23,995

I have that book already. I will flip thru it and pick one. This will be fun.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Barbara:
I thought we'd start with a nice and  easy one,  Doll quilts

I just received my copy of The Civil War Sewing Circle. What a wonderful book! I think I'll do the Civil War Stars Doll Quilt. My husband's great Grandfather, Samuel Humberstone was a riverboat captain on the Mississippi during the Civil war.

I already have Civil War fabrics by Barbara Brackman but will need to pick up some more as I'm using most of it in the Mark Twain quilt I'm working on.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 8 (109 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use