General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 90 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,798
Points 67,525
Bonita replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 1:29 PM

Judy, another beautiful quilt. You do such awonderful job. I almost for got about this one, I only have 4 done. I need to make a list.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Judy, your BB quilt is absolutely beautiful. 

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Judy T, once again you have done a beautiful job!  I Love It!!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 8:16 AM

Judy ,I'm so sorry I missed this ,it came out beautiful ,what a fabulous  job you have done .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,400

Thanks Barbara.  This is the first quilt I've made that George has said he's not that crazy about. He doesn't know if it's the colors, the random block designs or what. But I like it. Thanks for starting the group. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 1:13 PM

Judy, it's beautiful!  I love the colors.  Nice work!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 5:55 AM

Hi all, did you know that this is the 150 th anniversary of  the Battle of Gettysburg?  we should be on the look out for anything related , and make something .any ideas ?  Lets do something small  like a wall hanging.   The floor is open for ideas.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,400

Barbara:

Hi all, did you know that this is the 150 th anniversary of  the Battle of Gettysburg?  we should be on the look out for anything related , and make something .any ideas ?  Lets do something small  like a wall hanging.   The floor is open for ideas.  Barbara

Did you see this quilt on Barbara Brackman's blog?  The Gettysburg address is embroidered in the squares. Not suggesting we do this quilt, but it's very impressive. 

Maybe a wall hanging with a line from the Gettysburg address embroidered in the center or around the edge?

We visited Gettysburg several years ago. We went into Soldiers National Cemetery. We were puzzled because we only saw graves for Union soldiers. I asked the park ranger where the Confederate boys were.   He practically tipped his nose in the air and was very snide in his answer "They were sent elsewhere or buried where they fell, I really don't know".  As if those boys weren't worth his time. 

My husband had family from the north and the south who fought in that sad war. One, a riverboat captain on the Mississippi, supplied Union troops. At least one other died for the south. I thought that  Park Ranger should have shown more respect for everyone.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:38 PM

Judy,I hope that gentleman is no longer working at the park .what a terrible way to treat the men who passed form that terrible war.  I will have to check out this quilt as I don't remember if I saw it our not. but I like the idea . Thanks for sharing it with us. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,400

Barbara:

Judy,I hope that gentleman is no longer working at the park .what a terrible way to treat the men who passed form that terrible war.  I will have to check out this quilt as I don't remember if I saw it our not. but I like the idea . Thanks for sharing it with us. Barbara

I'm thinking I might do a wall hanging for the Revolutionary War also and write words from the Declaration of Independence on it. Maybe add some kind of remembrance for George's great++++grandfather who fought under George Washington and another great++++grandfather who fought for the King. I might do this at a 12" finished size and use for a July calendar topper. 

Something I found amusing, although George's sister didn't. While doing his family history I found out that their mother's family, Humberstones, were Loyalist so fought for the King. The Taylors fought for independence. I included this little fact in the family album. My sis in law about had a cow and said "Are you saying mom's family were TRAITORS?". I calmed her down by pointing out that many considered it the other way around as the Revolution didn't have undivided support from people in the colonies.

Barbara, so glad you started this group. I'm enjoying the various projects and ideas.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:57 PM

Judy  your so welcome,  I can't believe Georges sister was upset , I mean that history no matter who's side it was. I think it would be amazing to find all this out.  I love hearing your tales about your family ,its so amazing. thanks for sharing them with us . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I did know that it is the 150 th anniversary of the balle of Gettysburg. It might be fun to make something small, but I have no ideas. 

I  am sitting here listening to the fireworks over at lake perry. I can't see them for the trees, but the lake is just 3 miles west of me. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Judy T in doing my own family history I found that we too fought on both sides of the Civil War and Revolution.  My first large quilt was a Civil war quilt in honor of the 150th anniversary.  It represents slavery and the Civil Car.  Here in Lawrence is a Cemetery where there are graves due to Quantrel's Raid.  Very interesting.  Off in a far corner there are graves of men who fought as well.  On the stone is only a first name and rank, obviously a Black Civil War solder.  There are a couple more as well.  On Memorial Day all the Vets graves have a beautiful small flag on their but some how the graves in the far corner are bar.  It is sad.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:02 PM

Judy

I love this quilt.  Do you have a name for the center block third row down.  It is a really neat block.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:06 PM

Do you ladies know that there is a new sampler coming out based on Jennifer Chiavarinni's book The Union Soldier.   The pattern book is to be released the first of September and you can pre order on Amazon.  I already have mine on order.  Now just waiting for the book.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 4 of 7 (91 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use