Our first project ,and easy one

rated by 0 users
This post has 108 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,465
Points 116,645

Barbara:
How is everyone doing on your Doll Quilts.

For my second doll quilt I've selected the Hexagon Flowers Doll Quilt. I'm not a hand work person but decided I needed to expand my horizons. Plus, it's something I can do while watching TV. I did a practice block last night. This morning I'm cutting out those little hexagons (thank you Kathleen Tracy for including a link to printing off the paper hexagon templates) I'll start hand stitching them together while watching Masterpiece Mystery and Survivor tonight. Since I plan to connect all these doll quilts into a bed size quilt, I may use the same background fabric in all of them.

If my attempts at hand stitching the hexagons don't turn out real great, I'll make potholders out of the little buggers.

Here's a photo of the practice block on the left.  I did hand stitch the petals together but machine appliqued the flower to the background. I think I may hand applique the red one just to see if I can stand doing that much hand work.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 10:52 AM

Judy ,i love them , I may have to give these a try myslef  when I get a chance , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Hi Judy,

That's adorable!  I only aspire to doing this, so I applaud you for diving in. :-)  I hear it not only gets better as you go, but gets down right addicting. :-)  Let us know how it goes for you.

Karla in CO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:37 PM

Judy...

Are you doing these the "English Paper Piecing" method?  I watched Fons and Porter on QNNtv and saw how they did it that way.  Just curious.  By the way, I like the colors.

Candy in Norborne MO

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,465
Points 116,645

Candy:
Are you doing these the "English Paper Piecing" method?

Candy. No, I'm using the authors instructions with a hexagon template. It's a bit tedius. I've never done paper piecing. But I'll have to check it out.  Thanks.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,465
Points 116,645

Candy:
Are you doing these the "English Paper Piecing" method

Candy. I just watched the video and that is the method I'm using. Except I was ironing the edges over. Really a pain. In the video she glues the edges over the template using a temporary glue. I tried it, using my F&P glue stick, (I won't use the spray) and it's so much easier. Thanks again for putting me on to the video. I'll bet you've saved me hours! (well, not quite, but lots of time)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 2:07 PM

OK Gang,

I finally dug out my camera and here is my first doll quilt (or should I say, doll quilt top since it is not quilted).  

Candy in Norborne MO

• Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,465
Points 116,645

Candy:
here is my first doll quilt (

Candy, I love it. Aren't these fun? I may do an extra one for my great-grand niece who is 3 years old.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 3:03 PM

Candy, the fabrics are great, I love it.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 3:04 PM

Judy t. OMG, I love this.

Sukochi

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 4:20 PM

Candy, it is beautiful .I love it   Aren't the doll quilts fun to do . Are those some of the scraps we picked up at the CW shop ?  Now don't forget to put your picture in the media section and on the picture thread. this is so we can keep track of all the quilts ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 4:42 PM

Hi all .I am a member of this craftsy group thath does all the tutriorals by Jenny Doan and others they have this new thing going on thath I'm allow to share with my group .So you all may wnat to check it out ..Barbara

http://craftsyquiltingdeals.com/a7fxn

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:16 PM

Candy:
here is my first doll quilt

Cute doll quilt Candy.

I think I'm going to make one too. I have a DD who will be 5 next month, think I'm going to make one for her.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:26 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
If my attempts at hand stitching the hexagons don't turn out real great, I'll make potholders out of the little buggers.

Judy, those hexagons look pretty good to me for a first attempt. 

I've made these before with the English paper piecing method. I made a tablerunner all by hand. It was a very portable project for in the car, etc

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,465
Points 116,645

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Judy t. OMG, I love this

Thanks Sukochi. I'm having a lot of fun with this project.

Page 5 of 8 (109 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use