Welcome to the Parasols and Fabric group

rated by 0 users
This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Annie, This is a wonderful idea and it is beautiful!

MelodyP

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:10 PM

Annie , these are beautiful .Good for you for doing this , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:13 PM

ah geez these are the same patterns I've been collecting for awhile One of these days I' may even get to make them.  LOL  annie this is going to be so beautiful . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Thanks, Annie.  As long as there's no copyright restrictions, that would be awesome.  I appreciate your thoughtfulness. :-)

Karla

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 6:58 AM

Cathy quilter ,welcome to the club. I hope you will join us in chatting and exploring our past . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 6:52 PM

Hi! I have been a QCA member for 3 years but just discovered this group! I am a huge history buff, especially the civil war era. I have purchased some cw fabric but have yet to make a quilt. Is there a BOM going or a particular pattern everyone is using?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,680

Joy, I'm using several books that Barbara listed someone in the group. One is Little Quilts and I just love it. I've made three of them so far. I'm afraid further quilts from that era have been put on hold for the time being while I finish some other projects. I have another book called Bonnet Girls Patterns of the Past by Helen Scott that I'm anxious to start on. I just glanced through my "Parasols and Fabric" area of my room and here is a list of the books I have:

Bonnet Girls
Ladies Day Out
Little Quilts
The Civil War Sewing Circle
Pioneer Sampler

There are TONS of patterns and books out there.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 9:10 PM

Joy sorry I missed you ,so far we have been working on our own projects, as I have not really figured out yet how to do a bom without anyones permission. This may be something I will check into . Gald you found us and hope you will join us in some of the things we do . Feel free to add anything and if it includes history of the era that is great . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, May 6 2012 12:20 AM

Thanks for the info Judy and Barbra! I purchased Underground Railroad by Eleanor Burns last year. I have been anxious to get started on it. This group is perfect to get me going!

Barbara, I think if you choose a project where everyone has to buy a book or pattern, no permission is needed. But if you feel you need permission you can write the author; most are more than happy to grant permission.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Judy, This list is great! I went to my library and put a hold on three of those to be picked up next week. I think I have checked most of the other CW quilting books, so this is great. Thanks

MelodyP

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Sun, May 6 2012 9:50 AM

I agree.  And another resource was the Civil War Sampler Quilt that Fons and Porter did  and the videos to making the blocks are here on QCA.  I know Barbara has the three original magazines that this appeared in, it is a beautiful quilt, and I bet since they put the video on the web site here on how to make and finish this quilt, could get permission to print the directions for each block and post here on our group.  That is just another thought. 

Candy in Norborne MO

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Sun, May 6 2012 5:04 PM

Another idea, and it is free, is to go to Barbara Brackman's blog for the year 2011 and she did a block of the week, with all the patterns and fabric requirements etc.,  I have already downloaded all of those blocks to a CD and could provide instructions which we could turn into a block of the month if we wanted to.  If you don't have access to her blog, here is the link, go take a look at it.  It is wonderful.

http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2011/01/1-catch-me-if-you-can.html

Candy in Norborne MO

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:19 AM

Can someone explain what the birthday discussions are? And how that works. I am new in this group and feel like I am missing something huge

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:33 AM

Joy:

Can someone explain what the birthday discussions are? And how that works. I am new in this group and feel like I am missing something huge

Joy, Welcome, btw.

In the group, Parasols and Fabric, which is a Civil War group, making doll quilts from Civil War reproduction fabrics, we have a birthday block swap. It has already closed for THIS year, however. The idea is that we signed up and, when you birthday comes up, you send a fat eighth to each other b.b. member. They then make a block or two, or throw in another piece of fabric or just send the original block and send all that back to the birthday person. So, at your birthday, you get a bunch of quilt blocks, 12" finished. At the end of the year, we all have a quilt. 

Now, there is also a Mailbox Surprises, also closed for the year, alas. It works like this. When you sign up, and your birthday comes around, all others on the list send you a card, fabric, stuff, candy, or whatever. You have given your color and or fabric line preferences. It is all fun. If you check out groups you will see there are all sorts of swaps and more.

Hopefully, these will continue into next year and you can jump in toward the very end of this year.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, May 8 2012 12:14 PM

Joy sorry I missed your post ,but Sukochi did a great job explaining it for you , I will open another B-day exchange in Dec. if you are still intrested. they are alot of fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 8 of 10 (144 items) «Prev678910Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use