La Passion Sew Along

rated by 0 users
This post has 48 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris Posted: Mon, Feb 23 2015 10:56 PM

This thread is for sharing progress photos and tips for those working on the "La Passion" Hexagon Quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Wed, Feb 25 2015 10:08 PM

For those who dont know La Passion is a paper pieced quilt which uses about 16,000 hexagons 1/2 inch in size the pattern is available here free. http://gritslife1.blogspot.co.uk/p/hexagonquilt.html

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 25 2015 10:18 PM

Frances I've been agonising over fabric the past two days. I keep changing my mind adding then taking away. I'm now back to my original choices and nothing to show for it except a big mess in my sewing room and a headache. I'm really over thinking this.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Wed, Feb 25 2015 10:18 PM

Okay so heres my progress so far.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:22 AM

Kris:

Frances I've been agonising over fabric the past two days. I keep changing my mind adding then taking away. I'm now back to my original choices and nothing to show for it except a big mess in my sewing room and a headache. I'm really over thinking this.

Yes I think you are, although i did at the start so i started off  with these.

and then this

Pemberley charm packs which were gifted to me, and i really like these.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:26 AM

And then because i didnt want to use cream in the bits where she used cream i picked out 2 more fabrics to use in the places where i needed more of one colour.

Still have one more fabric to pick, may pick out that one today.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 27 2015 11:20 PM

Alright Frances I think I'm ready to start. I have the first set of my fabrics printed. I'm still on the fence about one. It's a stripe. I want to use the stripe but I think it's too wide so I might be going to the LQS later today to see what I can find. Otherwise I may use a blue in it's place. If I use a blue then the red is out. I only put the red in because it's in the stripe. Anyway here's a mock up of the first round showing my fabrics from EQ. With and without red:

Sometimes I like the red sometimes I don't.

The outer fabric is darker than it shows here. I'll have actual photos of the fabrics later when the light is better.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Sat, Feb 28 2015 8:00 AM

Wow Kris,

Im not sure how you will decided on those, im glad i just made mine up as i went along. I like them both :-) So im no help whatsoever.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 28 2015 1:01 PM

I found something at the LQS that works. She was having a sale $3 per yard today only. Then there was a drawing at checkout if you spent over $50. I won 25% off any purchase next month. 

So here's my FINAL round one:

I have to finish putting together a top for a little boy then I'll start sewing after I print a set of the stripe. All the others are printed. I should have the centre to show you later this evening. I'm really excited now.

Oh and by the way I bought the book Millefiori Quilts by Willyne Hammerstein and the Inklingo collection for her La Passacaglia quilt. So I'll be embarking on another journey to insanity in the not too distant future. I want you to know I blame you for opening this door. LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Sat, Feb 28 2015 10:46 PM

Kris,

Wow you did good girl, I think i need to go shopping with you the cheapest i can get fabric here is $10 a metre and that is the cheapest normal price is about $20.

You can blame me for everything else but not the millefiori quilts that one is your own fault, and journeys into insanity are good i should know i spend most of my time there, and your final round is looking great. Yesterday i put the outer edge round the first 7 flowers and took all the papers out apart from the edge, so today im starting the 12 flowers Woohoo.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 28 2015 11:16 PM

I've finally started. Here's my centre so far. The stripe is horizontal because I didn't think before I cut it for printing. I'll remember when I cut more for the outside border.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,565
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Sun, Mar 1 2015 7:07 AM

Kris,

I love it especially the blue (blue is my favourite colour).

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:29 AM

Frances blue is my favourite colour as well. I buy a lot of it and have to remember to buy other colours to round out the stash. When I see the prices of fabric here and I start to complain I have to remind myself that we still have it better that some folks. I subscribe to a couple Australian, one French, and one English magazine and I see what you're paying for fabric...yikes.

After some machine time this morning and some time working on a UFO I'll be working on the six inner flowers. Now that I have all my fabrics worked out I should be ble to spend at least an hour each day (goal) on this project.

I decided to blame you for the Millefiori because this EPP journey started here. I can't blame myself (never do that). I guess I can blame Linda Franz for the Inklingo collection. She makes it too easy. LOL

Have you ever done clamshells? I'm thinking of sewing some next, heaven help me.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 832
Points 14,210
Pat A replied on Sun, Mar 1 2015 4:34 PM

Kris, I saw the Millefiori book on Inklingo today.  That is one impressive project.  If I lived to be a 100 I don't think I'd ever be able tyo get it done 

I'm still seriously considering doing La Passion but I need to catch up on several other projects first, including my GFG.  I did finish getting the white surround on one flower today.  That makes 13 finished; only 30 or so more to go.   

I also  need to clean out my basement and get it painted.  I need to do some serious work on getting my house ready to put up for sale.  Sewing will soon be taking a backseat to that. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 1 2015 9:15 PM

Pat A all the projects in that book are gorgeous. The Inklingo collection is only for the one on the cover "La Passacaglia". I'd have to live forever to do all the things I want to do.

La Passion is a really exciting project.  You could work on it when you have time, in between other projects. That's my plan. When I have "found time" I'll pull out my little sewing kit with these tiny hexagons.

I didn't get any sewing done today. My body won't cooperate so I've been in and out of bed most of the day. I'll be back at the doctor on Tuesday. I'm really tired of this.

Pat A:
I need to do some serious work on getting my house ready to put up for sale.

Will you be moving to a new state or just to a new neighbourhood?

Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use