English Paper Piecing General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 404 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

Thanks to my cat and dog deciding to be jerks at 4 AM I learned something already today! My Hexies are 1 inch, not 2 1/4! I was measuring across the whole hex and not just one side.  I am really loving Craftsy because of all the tips and tricks I'm learning!   I have an hour to sew before I have to leave to go to MIL's to sew sew velcro into my BIL's jumpsuit (for training his race horses) then picking up cupcake and heading to the grocery.

I don't have any EPP books yet, after I make my GFG I may buy a book or two for patterns but right now my focus is just the flower garden.  You'll have to give a review after you try a few of the patterns Bev and Barbara!

Hope everyone has a nice, productive day. TTFN

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 11:39 AM

Erin ,I don't know if this is the class your taking or not ,I reiceved an email late last night  for a new EPP class on Crafsty . It was on sale for 19.99. The class is by  Mickey Depre , I'm going to take it just cause I'm so new to  Epp and want to learn all I can . She does have some really nice patterns in this class. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

I got that email too Barbara but that's not where I learned the tips. I was looking at free classes....BOM 2012 and the BOM 2013, she talked about Hexies and Dresden plates.  

While at my MIL's today she told me that in the attic, there is a quilt tht her grandma had started many yers ago and that she wants me to finish it!!!  She said it has "little girls" on it so Im thinking its a sun bonnet sue!  My MIL is in her 80s and it was her grandmas...I cannot wait to see what all is in this basket!!!!

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:07 PM

Frances:
Kris,

I love you lots but yes you are insane half inch hexagons, and that many, Wow im not sure whether to be in awe of you or feel your forehead to see if your running a temperature.

Yes I am certifiable. I discovered this a long time ago. LOL Did you know I'm making the farmer's wife sampler and my blocks are three inches?

Erin:

You always do beautiful work Kris, can only imagine what you'll do with this!

Aww thanks Erin. 

Barbara:
I love watching it all come together with my hand insetad of the machine..

Ahh the joy of hand piecing. BTW, I love your blocks.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 6:26 PM

Erin:
I learned something already today! My Hexies are 1 inch, not 2 1/4! I was measuring across the whole hex and not just one side.  I am really loving Craftsy because of all the tips and tricks I'm learning!

Ok, so Im confused now :)   To measure the hexagons it is the side that tells the size?  I thought you would measure across the widest part and that would be the size of the hexagon.   Did I totally misunderstand here ?   maybe I need a picture LOL

could someone clarify ? 

thank you :)   Sandy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

The way I understood it is that you just measure ONE of the SIDES...not the across the Hex. I've always measured across!  Hopefully someone who knows for sure can clarify...sorry if I am wrong and confusing others :/

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:36 PM

Sandy ,Erin  is correct ,you do measure the sides . I just checked mine out whcih I know are 1 in  as I'm using a template that is 1 in . So  now we all know to meause the side to get the acurate size .. Makes sense .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:44 PM

Yes ladies,

hexagons are referred to by the size of one of their sides.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:49 PM

Kris:

Yes ladies,

hexagons are referred to by the size of one of their sides.

well, I just found out I'm making 1 inch size :)    

but really this is important to know, for patterns.... I would have said nope to making 1 inch because I thought that was the across size.

Thank you all for the info! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

Knowledge is power! :D

I would have never attempted to do one inch either so I'm glad I didn't know until now.  

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 1:11 PM

OH ! everyone I got my EPP books today and I'm in guilting  heaven,I want to do all of them ..LOL 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

Oh yay Barbara...I love new quilting books and magazines!! :)  I looked back and can't decide what all books you two have bought? I know one is Hex a go go and what are the others?  Hoping that I can purchase a good book (or two) when Doug's military money comes in!  

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 5:02 PM

Oh cool Barbara. Can't wait to see what you make.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

Well, I needed some 60 mm rotary blades and decided I need a 28 mm rotary cutter too.  Shipping was going to be almost $8 and If I spent $15 more I'd get free shipping so I bought the EPP by Bloom Creek.  Thanks enablers!!  LOL   I should have my book and stuff by the end of next week.  

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400
erindipity replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:50 PM

I was just at quilting board and found the most interesting hex quilt that I've ever seen!  I hope it is OK to post this link, this quilt is amazing!!!     http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hexy-quilt-t218825.html     

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 50
Page 4 of 27 (405 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use