rated by 0 users
This post has 67 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,039
Points 65,585
Robin replied on Fri, May 18 2012 8:36 AM

Dara Beth,

I understand your situation.  I've got to many projects going at one time.  So....... I was naughty and took the day off to quilt.   I figured with the talent show at school I wouldn't be missed to much.     So I finished this section of blocks, now I have to get to quilting the two quilts I made for two senior girls that have been so close to me.  Then I have to go sell donuts for a school fundraiser tomorrow but you just inspired me to take my Crazy Quilt BOM with me to work on because I'm behind on it to.   If work and house work would take care of themselves I could get my quilting done.  Haha!

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Fri, May 18 2012 11:48 AM

Well done Robin. I love the fabrics you've used.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Fri, May 18 2012 12:02 PM

Dara-- I like your idea of multiple borders and adding other items that were memorable in Harry Potter. There are so many things I find myself wanting to do them all!  I've worked for years convincing DH that sweeping the floor stirs up dust and makes him sneeze, and washing dishes everyday is wasteful of water and dumps additional chemicals into an already stressed environment. After many meals of 'Alpo Surprise' (leftover mystery meat cassaroles), he does truly believe MickeyD's and Wendy's cooks better than I do! I don't even mind letting him think that...less time cooking=more time sewing!  Messy sewing room? Nope! That is 'creativity flowing'. I can't help it if it flows off the machine, onto the table and down to the floor...where I don't want to stir up any dust!

Joy--I can see all four crest on the bookshelves. Boys like to collect things and put them up where they can see them. A collection of his school's crests would be normal. You have done such a good job on the first one, they would really add a lot to your quilt.

Robin--I am so proud of you for doing Riddle's Diary!  It looks great!  I was afraid to even attempt it.  I think all your blocks are looking wonderful...can't wait to see your finished quilt with all of them together.  I have a spot on my design board where I have all by finished blocks pinned up. I've noticed books that looked 'big and bold' when working on them seem to blend right in when that block is added to the others.

I've been pondering about book titles.  I have about decided the colors of some of my books are too dark, or the fabric is so 'busy', that adding titles to them will be pointless. You would have to really look closely to see the titles, and I don't want anyone looking that closely at my quilt!  Since I still haven't figured out a way to get titles to show up well on dark fabrics (except embroidering them with white thread) I have decided to only add titles to lighter colored and plainer patterned books.

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, May 18 2012 5:53 PM

Kris:

Dara Beth,

I like jumping right in too. It's a great way to learn new skills and you also learn a lot about yourself in the process.

If you're going to be sewing on Saturday you could join the pyjama party

Kris,   A PJ party is right up my alley!!!   I love to sew in my PJ's.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, May 18 2012 6:11 PM

Robin:

Ok, Here's this set of blocks.   DD really wanted the Riddle Book so I gave it my best shot.   I'm sure how the fat book but may be a  title will help break it up a little and it's also not next to the block it goes next to.

Great blocks Robin.  You did a wonderful job on the diary!!  It was a tough one to figure out how the pieces went together.  I had to keep turning them over to keep it straight.  Love the matched set of books.  I still have them to do.  I haven't decided if I want mine to match or not.  My fabric envy is bubblin' up again! LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, May 18 2012 6:23 PM

Robin, sounds like you've got a full plate too!  I'm so jealous. All I could think of at work today was that I wanted to be at home quilting. LOL  I scheduled a lot of fridays off last month or two with the thought that I could get my gardening done.  Well, that sure didn't work out.  I got the days off but, have spent them helping DH to get his Dad's house ready to put on the market.  We are so ready to be rid of it.  We have been remodeling and cleaning out for just over 4 years now and boy would we like to be able to go back to having only one house to worry about !  We got the window glass replaced this week so we should be ready in 1 or 2 weeks.  Wow, I sure got off track....  Tomorrow I will go dig in the garden then off to the sewing room.  Yea!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,039
Points 65,585
Robin replied on Sat, May 19 2012 5:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your compliments on my blocks.   Riddle was a challenge and I would have thrown it in the trash a time or two if it was for my daughter who is going to be the owner of this quilt was so excited when she saw it in the quilt.  She was so funny explaining to me the things she liked and didn't like and wanted me to replace with something else.   Like I was sure she would want scabers in the quilt, but no he's out because he turns into Peter Pettigrew and tries to kill Harry.    This is what happens when you work with someone who has read the books twice and I can't count how many times she has watch the movies.   

Dara,

I hope you get your Dad's house in order and that it will be a quick sell for you and your hubby.   Then you will be able to buy more fabric for your fabric desires.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sat, May 19 2012 7:50 PM

Whewww.  I like the way you think Robin!!!

I'm getting a bit caught up but not quite there yet.

Block 14

Block 15

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, May 20 2012 12:51 AM

Dara,

You have been busy!  Great job on the Diary. And I like the way you put the Fang with the Diary. Good idea!  Little fabric envy here over your Moon and Stars book!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Sun, May 20 2012 1:49 AM

Nice work Dara Beth. I like your fabrics. I think it makes more sense to put the basilisk fang with Riddle's Diary. WTG.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sun, May 20 2012 12:40 PM

Dara..I just love your blocks! Was able to get to blocks 7,8 and 9, So I am really behind too.  Your idea with the diary is perfect so I may follow when I get to that point. The golden snitch just kicked my butt so gonna take a few days off. lol

Deb

Dara Beth:

I'm getting a bit caught up but not quite there yet.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,039
Points 65,585
Robin replied on Sun, May 20 2012 5:54 PM

Dara,

Your blocks are great!

I love your book.  Great color choices.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:05 PM

Thanks Max.   For some reason my pictures didn't come out as well as usual.  The colors are a bit off.  The moon & stars is a recent purchase.  DD tells me I need to branch out and buy fabric other than florals.  She is right of course. LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:06 PM

Thanks Kris!  I thought maybe with the fang next to the diary, both objects might be more readily recognizable. :-)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:11 PM

Deb, Thanks.  I still have the snitch to do. Be my guest with the diary.  I had to keep turning it back and forth to figure it out. It wasn't real obvious to me how the pieces went together.  I also had my laptop next to me so I could look at the completed block on the website.  I'm thinking that if I can get that one together, I can manage the snitch, but that remains to be seen LOL

Page 3 of 5 (68 items) Prev12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use