Harry Potter PoD Blocks 10, 14 & 15

rated by 0 users
This post has 67 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, May 13 2012 11:15 PM

Wow!  Joy, your blocks are wonderful!!  Love that wand...it is sizzlin'!  The Hogwart's Crest looks great, and I like how you made it large enough to fill the whole block. That set of books will really look good in your quilt, nice and bold and bright!

Glad you found making alterations so rewarding!  What will you do next?

Max

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,560
Robin replied on Mon, May 14 2012 5:15 AM

Ladies,

Your blocks are wonderful.   I love all of the different takes on the items in these squares.   It is so cool to see how different people see things.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, May 15 2012 7:33 AM

MaxNTopeka:

Wow!  Joy, your blocks are wonderful!!  Love that wand...it is sizzlin'!  The Hogwart's Crest looks great, and I like how you made it large enough to fill the whole block. That set of books will really look good in your quilt, nice and bold and bright!

Glad you found making alterations so rewarding!  What will you do next?

Thanks Max! You and Judy are inspirational! I thought I'd keep it simple with my first alteration, just increasing the size to our 10" block. What's next???? hmmm....my DS wants me to make all the house crests' like I did this one. He really liked this block!

I have to add this project has been a family one! It's amazing to see my DH, DS, and my niece get so involved with one of my quilting projects!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Joy,

I like the idea of the additional three crest. 

It is really wonderful when the entire family can get involved in a project. I think it helps them appreciate more what all is involved in getting a project completed. And it gives them ownership and pride in the finished project. You won't have to worry about whether they will like it, be proud of it, or will take care of it. You're really lucky they want to help!

This project seems to be so much more than 'just making a quilt' for lots of us. 

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 15 2012 7:02 PM

MaxNTopeka:

Here are my blocks for Week 10.  I thought the set of books looked sort of boring, so I used one of the blocks in Fandom. I enlarged it 175%, I think. I came out looking more like a jug than a nice little bottle. LOL! I added a book beside it, and under it to make the block the correct size. The neck of the bottle doesn't line up quite right with the body of the bottle, so you may want to make a slight adjustment if you use this pattern.

Week 14:  Only changes I made was to try to make the wand a little slimmer.  The one in the pattern seemed thick. If you make yours slimmer, try taking a little off from both sides. It is easier to keep all the angles matching up that way.

Week 15:  I just didn't like all those little bitty teeny tiny confusing pieces of Tom Riddle's Diary.  And it is so hard to tell what it is!  I used the alternate owl pattern that is with the Week 11 Hedwig owl pattern.  I enlarged it 150%.  And I did NOT try to make each eye three pieces. I 'cheated' and made the eye one piece, then drew in the pupil with a perm marker. MUCH easier!  If you do this owl, Section C is not numbered so you know which piece to do first, etc. It's not hard to figure out, but they are not numbered. Also, there are two pieces of 'background' not drawn in for Section C.  If you lay the pieces together, before you start sewing, it is easy to tell where there will be a gap unless you add background.  I also modified the shape of the main wing a bit. He still looks a little 'boxy', but I like him better than the set of books. I believe he is supposed to be an Eagle Owl, and was used by Draco Malfoy. Sure helps to use batiks as they don't have a right or wrong side!  Max

Great Blocks Max. I love the changes that you made and your fabric selections are wonderful!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 15 2012 7:15 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Here's my 10, 14 and 15 blocks.

Block 10. I changed them slightly but I really don't know why? In this photo the background looks gray. It's not, it's a soft gold.

Block 14 I actually stuck with the pattern.

Like Max, I didn't like the diary with the hole so made block 15 entirely different. I used the wizards robe on a book.

Great Blocks Judy.  I like the robe and the bottle is great.  Your book fabrics are wonderful as well! 

I'm getting behind on this one.  I've been trying to keep up with the mystery quilt :)  So far I have, and I'm up with the Craftsy BOM.  I got my latest compass block done but not photographed and I am working on my time turner block. I've also finished 2 cross-stitch baby quilts, shortened several pair of curtains, cut the fabric for a quilt for my daughter.  This having to go to work 5 days a week is cramping my style LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 15 2012 7:19 PM

Joy:

What a wonderful day to quilt! My DH and DS have been waiting on me hand and foot today and now are grilling steaks and I'm not sure what else but it smells good! I was able to finish blocks 10, 14, and 15. With courage from Max and Judy's 'how to' information, I changed block 15 and used the hogwarts crest instead. It wasn't as difficult as I thought to enlarge the block.

I love your matched set of books Joy.  The fabric is to die for!  Love the wand fabric.  It looks like the wood grain, so cool!   Your hogwarts crest is great full sized.  I think I'm going to put mine in my border.:-)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thank you, Dara!

You're busier than a one-armed juggler!  But I've always heard the best organized people are the busy ones.  Looking forward to seeing your Time Turner block!

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, May 16 2012 7:52 AM

Dara Beth:
I love your matched set of books Joy.  The fabric is to die for!  Love the wand fabric.  It looks like the wood grain, so cool!   Your hogwarts crest is great full sized.  I think I'm going to put mine in my border.:-)

Thanks Dara Beth! My DS has picked all the blocks he wants me to take out and replace with all the Howarts' crests. I am astonished how much this quilt has become a family project! 

ok...I'm confused. How are you going to put yours in the border?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, May 16 2012 7:52 PM

Joy,   What I'm planning on doing is to have multiple borders but I haven't really gotten to the point of getting fabric.  I'm thinking that I can put the 4 house crests on the 4 corners with the Hogwarts one top middle.  Then I can add in other of the 6 inch blocks on the sides, bottom, and maybe a couple more on the top.  I want to use the whomping willow, hagrid's hut, and the knight's bus, etc. in the border since they aren't things that would be on a shelf.  It is still very much in the idea stage.  I often plan one thing and wind up doing another when I get my pieces laid out. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 366,007
Kris replied on Thu, May 17 2012 1:33 AM

Dara Beth,

your plan sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it come together.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, May 17 2012 8:01 AM

Dara Beth:
Joy,   What I'm planning on doing is to have multiple borders but I haven't really gotten to the point of getting fabric.  I'm thinking that I can put the 4 house crests on the 4 corners with the Hogwarts one top middle.  Then I can add in other of the 6 inch blocks on the sides, bottom, and maybe a couple more on the top.  I want to use the whomping willow, hagrid's hut, and the knight's bus, etc. in the border since they aren't things that would be on a shelf. 

Dara Beth

I can picture your finished quilt! It sounds like a fantastic idea!!!! Never thought about the crests' not being something that would go on a shelf! I can hardly wait to see your quilt!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Thu, May 17 2012 6:16 PM

Kris, Max, Joy,   Thanks for the encouragement!!!!   I don't know about organized LOL  What I am is crazy and a glutton for punishment. HaHa.  When I jump in, I go with both feet, but I'm having a great time.  My DD encourages me. My DH just thinks I'm nuts.  He has no idea that I have so many projects in the works. He just knows that the floor needs swept and my sewing room is a mess! LOL  

Joy, I think the crests will look great on the shelves, but when I decided to move the hut, bus, tree, etc. to a border, I needed other things to help 'fill it up'. So since there were 4 houses I thought the crests would be great for the corners :-)  I'm planning on doing some picture taking on Saturday. DH is going on a motorcycle ride so I'll be able to get at least a couple of my HP blocks together.  I've got a couple of them partly constructed.  Well got to go fix DH something to eat.  Later :o)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 366,007
Kris replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:22 PM

Dara Beth,

I like jumping right in too. It's a great way to learn new skills and you also learn a lot about yourself in the process.

If you're going to be sewing on Saturday you could join the pyjama party

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,560
Robin replied on Fri, May 18 2012 8:31 AM

Ok, Here's this set of blocks.   DD really wanted the Riddle Book so I gave it my best shot.   I'm sure how the fat book but may be a  title will help break it up a little and it's also not next to the block it goes next to.

Page 2 of 5 (68 items) Prev12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use