Harry Potter PoD Blocks 10, 14 & 15

rated by 0 users
This post has 67 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris Posted: Sat, May 12 2012 12:15 AM

Please use this thread to discuss blocks 10, 14 & 15.

Post photos, frustrations, tips and tricks, oohs and aahs.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Here are my blocks for Week 10.  I thought the set of books looked sort of boring, so I used one of the blocks in Fandom. I enlarged it 175%, I think. I came out looking more like a jug than a nice little bottle. LOL! I added a book beside it, and under it to make the block the correct size. The neck of the bottle doesn't line up quite right with the body of the bottle, so you may want to make a slight adjustment if you use this pattern.

Week 14:  Only changes I made was to try to make the wand a little slimmer.  The one in the pattern seemed thick. If you make yours slimmer, try taking a little off from both sides. It is easier to keep all the angles matching up that way.

Week 15:  I just didn't like all those little bitty teeny tiny confusing pieces of Tom Riddle's Diary.  And it is so hard to tell what it is!  I used the alternate owl pattern that is with the Week 11 Hedwig owl pattern.  I enlarged it 150%.  And I did NOT try to make each eye three pieces. I 'cheated' and made the eye one piece, then drew in the pupil with a perm marker. MUCH easier!  If you do this owl, Section C is not numbered so you know which piece to do first, etc. It's not hard to figure out, but they are not numbered. Also, there are two pieces of 'background' not drawn in for Section C.  If you lay the pieces together, before you start sewing, it is easy to tell where there will be a gap unless you add background.  I also modified the shape of the main wing a bit. He still looks a little 'boxy', but I like him better than the set of books. I believe he is supposed to be an Eagle Owl, and was used by Draco Malfoy. Sure helps to use batiks as they don't have a right or wrong side!  Max

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sat, May 12 2012 8:12 AM

MaxNTopeka:
Here are my blocks for Week 10.

Love your blocks Max! I love the changes you made. I wish I had more confidence to try changing up some blocks.

Kris must have read our post and added a new assignment just for me! LOL!!!!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sat, May 12 2012 10:14 AM

Joy,

It's not hard to make some of the changes. I practiced by changing easy things, like the little bands on the books.

I figured Kris was tired from VB, and still catching up on stuff. 

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,400

Here's my 10, 14 and 15 blocks.

Block 10. I changed them slightly but I really don't know why? In this photo the background looks gray. It's not, it's a soft gold.

Block 14 I actually stuck with the pattern.

Like Max, I didn't like the diary with the hole so made block 15 entirely different. I used the wizards robe on a book.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, May 13 2012 12:25 AM

Judy,

I like your week 10. You kept the set of books from being boring by making them all different colors.  Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, May 13 2012 5:52 PM

What a wonderful day to quilt! My DH and DS have been waiting on me hand and foot today and now are grilling steaks and I'm not sure what else but it smells good! I was able to finish blocks 10, 14, and 15. With courage from Max and Judy's 'how to' information, I changed block 15 and used the hogwarts crest instead. It wasn't as difficult as I thought to enlarge the block.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,400

Joy. Wow!!! I love your fabrics. Awesome. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, May 13 2012 6:22 PM

Max,

you did a wonderful job on your blocks and your tips are superb. I love what you're doing with this project to make it your own.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, May 13 2012 6:25 PM

Joy:
Kris must have read our post and added a new assignment just for me! LOL!!!!

Joy and Max;

I'm trying to take my cues from the group. When we started we weren't sure how many we would do each month. As I see you all make certain blocks I create a spot so it will be fresh in your minds to share with the group.

This project has taken a back seat for me as I try to attend to other non-quilty things. Keep up the good work. I should be back into it by early June.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, May 13 2012 6:26 PM

Judy,

your blocks are great. As with Max, I love what you've done with the alternate blocks. Looking forward to a spectacular finish.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, May 13 2012 6:27 PM

Joy,

I love your blocks as well. Beautiful fabrics (especially the wand) and well done with the crest.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, May 13 2012 7:56 PM

Kris:
I love your blocks as well. Beautiful fabrics (especially the wand) and well done with the crest.

Thank you so much Kris!

I think your doing a great job with this group! Thanks for adding new assignments. For some silly reason I wasn't going ahead....I had an epiphany after chatting with Max.....its ok for me to work ahead! LOL! Sometimes I don't know about me!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, May 13 2012 10:44 PM

Joy,

working ahead helps for those times when you can't seem to get anything done. If I haven't opened a post for it put a photo in media or somewhere in the discussions. I like to keep like blocks together for those who come along later but there are no hard and fast rules...well just one: HAVE FUN.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, May 13 2012 11:11 PM

Kris,

Thank you!  We will keep forging ahead.  I've been 'distracted' by stuff lately so I understand. We will be looking forward to your return.  Don't forget to quilt when you can!

Max

Page 1 of 5 (68 items) 12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use