rated by 0 users
This post has 151 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:31 PM

MaxNTopeka:

Great blocks Max. Love what you did with the broom!  Too Cool.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260

Max...actually I have finished the Monster Book. It is the Riddle book in Week 15 that I can't seem to get put together. I tried several times today but finally gave up...I have come down with a cold, am running a fever and just feeling cruddy. So paper piecing was asking a bit much of my self. Oh well there is always tomorrow. I think I may print out the pattern again, cut all the pieces together, tape them where they belong and then try to sew the thing together. Yeah...sounds like a great game plan...but then what do I know....I'm sick!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260

gini:

marque, no i don't sleep much.  my babies are out of school this week and their mom;'s have them, so i have had the week free to sew.   i have three blocks to go.   i'm putting scabbers on a book and substituting him for the cauldron.  i can't see a hot cauldron on a bookcase,  but then i have a lit candle on them.  witchery must keep everything form burning.     i have some wood grain for the bookcase and i'm thinking about putting a dragon on each side on the top.   this is for a 10 year old.   he'll like the dragons.

Are you serious...only three blocks left to do? Sounds like you ahve everything planned out...I couldn'f find any woodgrain for the bookcase so I bought a really cool black fabric with grey wispy smoke like things and little tiny twinkly stars, rather mystical looking. DH even said that it was very Harry Potter. 

I figure that with the candle and the cauldron there are enough spells in the books to keep all danger away. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thank you, Robin and Dara! 

Marque--Hope you get to feeling better soon. Maybe it's the curse from the Riddle Diary!  Better take a couple of bat wings and an eye of newt and go to bed for the night.  It will be better tomorrow.

I've got the Monster two thirds done. It's taken all day, but I'm getting there with him!  Went back in the sewing room after supper and frogged the same tooth three times in a row! Enough for today...I'll work on him more tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weeked!

Max

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,678
Points 120,545

MaxNTopeka:
I've got the Monster two thirds done. It's taken all day, but I'm getting there with him!  Went back in the sewing room after supper and frogged the same tooth three times in a row! Enough for today...

Max, I'm confused with the monster book and have almost decided not to make him. I think that Kris said the white things are pages. If so, I'd like to use a directional lined fabric to look like pages. Is that what you're doing?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,182
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:01 AM

Feel better soon Marque.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,182
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:03 AM

MaxNTopeka:

I've got the Monster two thirds done. It's taken all day, but I'm getting there with him!  Went back in the sewing room after supper and frogged the same tooth three times in a row! Enough for today...I'll work on him more tomorrow.

Keep at it Max. You'll conquer that monster. Can't wait to see it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

The 'white areas' I was asking Kris about were the white areas in the picture of the Monster.  When you look at the pattern pieces we print out to sew on the white areas are still background color. The brown is 'fur'. The yellow areas are teeth. The pink is the throat. The pages of the book are a pale tan color. Look at Part D: 2,4, and 6 are background color.  Then 1, 8, 10 are pages.  It is confusing!  I had to mark each area with a code so I wouldn't mess up! 

I used a directional material for the pages, in a soft dirty gray-green color. I don't think the Monster can keep those pages white in that mouth!

And I used a directional material for his fur (hair?).  It is looking good, but takes extra time.  I did use a batik fabric for the pages and fur so I didn't have to keep front and back of the material straight. 

Hope this helps!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,678
Points 120,545

MaxNTopeka:
When you look at the pattern pieces we print out to sew on the white areas are still background color. The brown is 'fur'. The yellow areas are teeth. The pink is the throat. The pages of the book are a pale tan color. Look at Part D: 2,4, and 6 are background color.  Then 1, 8, 10 are pages

Max, thank you!! Your explanation was perfect.  I guess I will do the Monster Book afterall. I have the perfect fabric for his "fur" and I will use a striped fabric for the pages. I've printed out the pattern and will cut it apart and tape together for a reference while I'm sewing. But it will have to be later. I have a meeting this morning and am getting together with my step daughter for lunch. There goes the day. I will be chomping at the bit to get home later and start in on Monster.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 11:38 AM

I haven't gotten to block 12 yet, but I couldn't wait to do the monster book so here are blocks 4 and 13.  I'll probably jinx myself but I think I'm catching on to this paper piecing business :-)   I've actually done a couple of blocks without any issues.  Oops! now I've done it.  I'm sure to mess up the next one LOL

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260
Marque replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:02 PM

Dara Beth:

I haven't gotten to block 12 yet, but I couldn't wait to do the monster book so here are blocks 4 and 13.  I'll probably jinx myself but I think I'm catching on to this paper piecing business :-)   I've actually done a couple of blocks without any issues.  Oops! now I've done it.  I'm sure to mess up the next one LOL

Very nice blocks. You did a real good job on the monster book. The red book is so awesome...the material is the same pattern as my bookcase fabric, only my bookcase will be black with the grey swirls and white twinkly stars.

Your background fabric is so cool, it looks like granite.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260
Marque replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:08 PM

Thanks Kris...I am really trying. I am confined to the bed today. DH says that from the looks of my throat and my chest sounds that I am on the verge of bronchitis. (DH is a firefighter/paramedic) So he told me to stay in bed today and take it easy. He brought me my laptop and my Kindle. I also have a flat screen TV in the bedroom....so it's not that bad. I just wish I felt up to sewing. I can hear my HP blocks calling out to me.....LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260
Marque replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:11 PM

Max....I think I over did it with the eye of newt.....one should not chug-a-lug once it has been in the blender!!!!

So happy to hear that you conquered the Monster book. Way to go!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Marque,

Yep!  That eye of newt is powerful stuff. One chug should have been plenty!  Do as Dr. DH says and rest.  One must live to fight the next battle. Feel better soon!

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Great job, Dara Beth!

The glasses look wonderful!  That red book is beautiful, and your Monster is perfect! 

Max

Page 6 of 11 (152 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use