Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Gini,

You are making this look so easy!  Beautiful fabrics!  And the pic of all the blocks together really shows what a neat quilt you're making. Love it!

Max

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Now I know why Harry's glasses were always broken!  I was sure wishing I had a magic wand to wave over them last night. On the fourth attempt I finally got a block that I had all the fabric right side out, pieces lined up, and the colors in the correct locations.  They look so simple (and they are if you just take you time and pay attention to what you are doing!) but they sure had it in for me.  Hopefully, that was the last hard one! 

I started block 12 last night, by printing it out, and working on how I wanted to replace the lightening bolt. Finally came up with a plan, drew in some lines, and went to bed. We'll see how well a 2 AM plan works in the daylight.  Hope to have pics later today.

Have a fun and productive day!

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,830
Points 123,570

Joy:
I want to exchange a few of the blocks, or at least part of them, for the Fandom Stitches ones but not sure on the enlargement. How did you come up with 160%? Is there a formula?

Joy, the Fandom Stitches blocks are all 5".  I enlarged the Riddle Diary to 8".   New size less original size, Divide that by the original size = Percentage.

So, 8" - 5" = 3"

3" / 8"  = .60  or 60%. So I set my printer copy function to enlarge 160% 

Does that make sense?  On some things I enlarged only 120%. The block below, which is week 19, I enlarged 155%.  I wanted the Hogwarts crest larger so I enlarged it 155% and used only one book. My thought was to embroider the names in each section, Gryffinder, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. I'm not sure if I will do that but I'm thinking about it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,830
Points 123,570

Judy T-Bellingham:

Joy, the Fandom Stitches blocks are all 5".  I enlarged the Riddle Diary to 8".   New size less original size, Divide that by the original size = Percentage.

So, 8" - 5" = 3"

3" / 8"  = .60  or 60%. So I set my printer copy function to enlarge 160% 

Oops, I mean 3" / 5" = 60%

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,830
Points 123,570

MaxNTopeka:
On the fourth attempt I finally got a block that I had all the fabric right side out, pieces lined up, and the colors in the correct locations.

Max, I can certainly identify with that. My goal is to make just ONE block in which I haven't upended a fabric, used the wrong color or missed a step.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with to replace the lightening bolt.  Being a new comer to Harry Potter I wasn't aware of the significance of the bolt. I'll have to decide if I'm going to replace that part of the block. It would be easy to do but for now, I'll leave it. It doesn't bother me but I'm not a purist. At least not yet, (LOL) I'm just part way through the first HP book.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

My plan worked!! I nearly fell out of my chair when it came together!  WOOEEEE!!   (sorry!  shouldn't get so excited about my own work, BUT...I really didn't know if it would come together like it should.  This PP stuff is so new to me, and SO different than anything I've ever tried before.  I just need to finish the other book two books in that block and I'll be ready to shoot a pic to post.

Back later!

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,830
Points 123,570

No, Max!! don't fall off your chair!!  At least not until you've posted a photo. rOFLOL

I'm really excited to see what you've done. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,797
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:51 PM

Nice work Gini. I love your fabrics and workmanship.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,797
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:56 PM

Judy,

nice work on the Hogwarth's crest. I really like the purple fabric you used in the book.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 5:33 PM

gini:

i finished the two bocks with the hat after i snapped this picture.  i keep thinking this is going to get easier,   not so far.

Wow !  Gini you have certainly been busy.  I love it.  You've got such great fabrics.  I can hardly believe you've got over 2/3's of the blocks done.  WTG  Can you tell, I'm green with envy? LOL

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 5:39 PM

Great block Judy! 

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

Love the crest!  Awesome job.  Can't wait to see your finished quilt!  Have you thought yet about what you are going to do on the back?  Or how you're going to quilt it?

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Hope you're not disappointed, Judy!  Here's my attempt at Week 12.  I went to the fandom in stitches site and looked for something to use besides the lightening bolt. I liked the brooms, and remembered in the books about Harry reading his broom care book and working on his broom.  I had to alter the pattern just a smidge to straighten the broom a little so it would fit on the book spine. Wasn't hard as I expected it to be.  Then I added the book title from the book list.

The glasses in Week 4 still aren't perfect, but I'm not doing more than four attempts. I surrender. If anyone says anything I'll just tell them this was Harry's broken pair!   I guess I'm going to have to quit working on anything else until I finish this project! Even if I'm trying to work on another quilt I'm still thinking about this mess!

Thank goodness this is so much fun!   Max

• Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,830
Points 123,570

MaxNTopeka:

Judy, Love the crest!  Awesome job.  Can't wait to see your finished quilt!  Have you thought yet about what you are going to do on the back?  Or how you're going to quilt it?

Max

I've thought about it and am terrified of that step. The blocks are great fun and I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying putting my own stamp on them. But the quilting? Since I'm hoping to enter it in our county fair, I need to do a great job on the quilting. I could send it out but then it wouldn't be all mine.

I'll have a problem getting it sandwiched smoothly so one of the local quilt shops has offered to let me use their tables to get it laid out and pinned. I've thought of quilting in stars and loops. I'm just not good at this part of the whole process.

I also haven't decided  what style the bookcase will be. I kind of want something a bit fancy on the top and could applique that. I'll only have shelves and few, if any, uprights between the blocks.

Since the blocks have so much piecing I want the backing to be one solid piece so I don't have to quilt over so many lumps. I'll get the 102" wide fabric.

I'm currently working on a block with three potion bottles. When it's done I'll have 20 blocks and will post a picture.

Now, I promised George dinner tonight. For once I'm not throwing a sandwich at him. He's earned a decent meal.

Page 4 of 11 (152 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use