Harry Potter PoD Blocks 1 & 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 216 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,840

Jacy:

Judy, I used 2 strands, you want the words bold enough to stand out.

Your blocks look wonderful. Did you add the lion head?

Perhaps I just need to stretch the letters out more so the strands aren't so tight together. It makes the words hard to read.

I used the lion, gryffinder, from the fandom stitches website. http://www.fandominstitches.com/p/hp.html

It has the blocks we're doing and a whole bunch more. The patterns are 5" so they may need to be enlarged. I only enlarged the lion 125%. I should have done 140% like I did with the dragon.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 1:09 PM

Ohhhhhh Judy your blocks are wonderful! I love your fabric's too. Could never pick a favorite cause they are all cute.

Doing the owl scares me for some reason. Maybe after my vacation in April I may tackle it.  Was it hard to do?

I'm going to do the Potion bottle one next I think. But with all my fabrics cant find a 'right' color. Soooo offf to the LQS tomorrow. (They have buy 5 fq's and get 5 free if you bring a canned good.)

Deb

Judy T-Bellingham:

I'm definitely waiting until they are all completed. I'm not doing them in order. Also, as I put them up on my wall and look at them for a few days I tend to make changes.

I've completed nine blocks. As I mentioned earlier, I've printed some of the book titles on the Transfer Ez. I've started embroidering one of them that I called "A Guide to Hogswart".  But I think I shouldn't have used two strands of embroidery floss. It's too thick so I may take it out. Here's a photo of my nine blocks. You'll see the Transfer Ez on some of the books all ready for me to embroider. The one with the hourglass is only partially embroidered so the needle and thread are still there.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,840

Debbie (Dainty):
Doing the owl scares me for some reason. Maybe after my vacation in April I may tackle it.  Was it hard to do?

Thanks Deb. The Owl was a challenge for me and he's not perfect, but I love him. Just be sure not to remove the backing paper until everything in the block is sewen together. Even then, I just could NOT get things to match exactly.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 2:46 PM

Judy

These are great.  I love the griffon and the dragon.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,840

Thanks Nana. I love the dragon and griffon also. There are such cool patterns for all the blocks. I'm so grateful to Kris for putting us on to this.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,849
Points 366,407
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 2:58 PM

Your blocks look good Judy. I think the two strands of embroidery thread is fine. Nice work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 4:53 PM

Judy, well done ,you are moving right along. They are all fabulous. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

I love everything you've done so far!  Couldn't pick a favorite block if I had to!   

I thought about doing the lion's head and after seeing yours I'm going to have to copy you! It's fabulous!

Personally, I think the two strands of floss looks good.  Will you use black throughout, or will you change colors to contrast well with the book color?  Wonder how gold metallic would look?

For those who haven't done Hedwig the owl yet, if you lay the pieces out before you start you can tell where the mis-matches occur. I adjusted a couple that I didn't think I could live with by carefully redrawing the sewing lines on the paper.  The top of the head and the left shoulder got re-worked on my Hedwig. The pic is in the media file.

I tried Jacy's idea of printing some titles out on paper using different font styles from Word.  Adjusted the size of the title to fit the book, then taped the page to the window (I don't have a light box). Then carefully cut the paper away from the area of the book spine so when I taped the finished block up on the window (over the printed page with the titles on it) I could see thru the fabric well enough to trace the title with a permenant ink pen used for writing on quilt labels.  I intended to embroidery over the ink, but I may just leave it like it is.  Or may embrodiery a few and ink a few. I don't think it looks too bad.

I'll let the ink dry well, then heat set it with an iron.  If it fades, then I guess these were second-hand books and a little bit worn when Harry got them!

Max

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 5:25 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Dara Beth:
General question for everyone.  Are any of you sewing your blocks together or are you waiting to get them all completed first? 

I'm definitely waiting until they are all completed. I'm not doing them in order. Also, as I put them up on my wall and look at them for a few days I tend to make changes.

I've completed nine blocks. As I mentioned earlier, I've printed some of the book titles on the Transfer Ez. I've started embroidering one of them that I called "A Guide to Hogswart".  But I think I shouldn't have used two strands of embroidery floss. It's too thick so I may take it out. Here's a photo of my nine blocks. You'll see the Transfer Ez on some of the books all ready for me to embroider. The one with the hourglass is only partially embroidered so the needle and thread are still there.

Judy, your block are so fantastic.  I just love them to death.   Your embroidery is great. It draws you in to really see what is on the shelves! 

I guess I'd better get busy on some more blocks.  I did buy some fabric for Hedwig.  I hope it turns out OK.  Ya never know till it's finished.  LOL  I think I'll go do some printing.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 5:28 PM

Max your titles look wonderful!  I'm going to have to give it go.  You all set such high standards! LOL

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,840

Thanks Dara Beth. I'm excited about doing the embroidery. It'll give me something to do while watching TV in the evening besides playing solitaire on my iPhone. LOL.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,840

MaxNTopeka:
Personally, I think the two strands of floss looks good.  Will you use black throughout, or will you change colors to contrast well with the book color?  Wonder how gold metallic would look?

Thanks Max. I'll use different colors of floss. I hadn't thought of using metallic. I like that idea. I do love the Transfer EZ paper. When I'm done with the embroidery, I just wet it and the paper disappears! Like magic. Which is appropriate seeing as this is a Harry Potter project. lol.

I keep going back to look at your blocks and the fabrics you use. You have the most fantastic eye for color and design!! And, look at that little lizard on the vase!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 6:49 PM

Max looks really good , nice job.barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

I learned something this afternoon.   Don't know why I didn't think about it before but I didn't...!   I was having trouble with a seam and without really thinking about it I grabbed my spray bottle, dampened the block, and immediately noticed the ink from my printer, on the piecing paper, beginning to run!!. I grabbed scissors and clipped the paper as quickly as I could off the back of the block, but it did stain through onto the fabric.  ARRGGGHH!!!   When you said you would wet the Transfer EZ paper it worried me.  Will you wait until you have removed the paper from the back of your block before you wet the Transfer EZ paper?

Or maybe it is just my printer ink that runs when it gets wet.  Was a stupid surprise to me. Thank goodness it was a block that isn't going to go into my HP POD quilt, and I can removed the stained fabric with just one seam.

Max

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 9:02 PM

max, this is a good thing to be aware of.

gini in north idaho

Page 13 of 15 (217 items) «Prev1112131415Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use