Harry Potter Paper Piecing Project of Doom: General Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 544 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 4:50 PM

Well that triwizard cup is taking me to task.  Blew it up as much as I could and it feels like I've been messing with it forever.  Hoping I can align the last seams tomorrow and put a book or two next to it to bring the width up.  I think #2 son's going to get a Hufflepuff cup instead - one posted to Fandom lately and it looks pretty good.  Here's my take on the cactus plant and a nod to #1's love of cats.  I'm not sure what it's going to displace from the original PoD plan but it'll make the cut.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,473
Points 362,102
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:06 PM

Jen,

the cactus is great and I love the cat fabric for the book. I'm loving your work.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:39 PM

Triwizard cup...done!  And I never want to do it again.  Matching up the seams on the base was tricky.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,473
Points 362,102
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 2:16 PM

I love it Jen. Nicely done.

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 5:17 PM

Jen, your Tri-Wizard Cup and cactus are great. 

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 8:16 AM

So I'm starting to fret over how to put on the book titles.  I'd like to use the fonts on my machine but haven't done this ever before.  Hooping and getting it all aligned so it will be straight looks to be a hassle but will make a few more font styles available.  I don't want them all to look the same, so that would put me into hand embroidery, which I've not done before either on a quilt.  I think someone posted of having used the PC to use the millions of fonts there to print the titles to paper or a transfer paper (but I couldn't find it again when I dredged through posts last weekend).   If I do by hand, how do I make sure it won't come out over time and washings?  Pushes in the right direction most appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,473
Points 362,102
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 6:33 PM

Jen,

I've used the fonts on my machine without hooping and they came out fine. I like hand embroidery since I can vary the thread thicknesses and colours easier than by machine.

For hand embroidery type what you want in your word processing program print then trace onto your fabric. There are so many cool fonts out there. I bought some transfer paper (Saral) but haven't had a lot of luck with it. Sulky transfer pens work well but are permanent (can't erase mistakes). I trace using my light box. 

You can find these products at JoAnn Fabrics and Michaels if they're close by.

Embroidery thread should hold up fine when you wash the quilt. Just make sure you secure the ends well. I don't make knot but I do a few tiny backstitches on the back of the work at the beginning and the end then weave in the tail before cutting.

Don't let it stress you out too much. Hope this helps.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:14 PM

Has anyone tried the Howler pattern?  I thought it'd look good tucked in that open book in the fourth row, but I've made two attempts at assembly and sections A/B/C just don't seem to line up right.  So it's put away out of sight and I did a plain book block to get my sanity back.  Next plan is to revisit a new printout of the pattern and check it.  Maybe I was doomed (no pun intended) from the start.

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 5:40 PM

No.  I've not tried the howler yet.  The Riddle Diary sure did drive me nuts tho.... I cut the sections out and put them together like a jigsaw puzzle then I'd pick a piece and sew the pieces on and put it back where it came from with the fabric side down so that I could see the lines.  I'd do one piece, turn it back over and put it back where it came from, then do the next one.  I did the same as I followed her instructions on the order to put the pieces together.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:50 AM

Dara, the Riddle diary does look confusing.  I wish I'd taken your approach and laid out the pieces of the Howler...it would have saved me alot of time and frustration.  I traced all of its pieces "together" to see how the seam lines came together and, yes, indeed, Section B is wonky.  So I reworked B, C and E and am going to give that a try.  My fear is that I'm going to have a stacked seam bumpy mess as a bunch of points come together.  Maybe that's what the designer was trying to avoid with her version out on Fandom, but the result just looks too off to me.  I'll report back!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,473
Points 362,102
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:09 PM

MNJen:
Has anyone tried the Howler pattern? 

Jen,

is this from another design? I don't see a howler in the PoD.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 3:04 PM

Kris, you're right, there is no howler in the original PoD.  It's a magical object that has a 5" finish pattern on Fandom that I thought the kids would get a kick out of if it was in their quilt(s).  Ron Weasley gets a howler note from his mom in the movie, and it's basically a magical tonguelashing.  Very funny if you've time to check it out on YouTube.  I have to beleive the clip is out there.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,473
Points 362,102
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 4:36 PM

OK Jen. I thought I was losing it looking at the pattern. I know about the howlers. I have all the movies and books.

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 6:26 PM

MNJen:

I wish I'd taken your approach and laid out the pieces of the Howler...it would have saved me alot of time and frustration.

Well Jen, live & learn.  I didn't that that approach until I couldn't manage any other way. LOL Then I sorted it all out and went from there.  It did teach me to take that approach the next time I run into something similar....  ha.  and this is how we learn...  nice to know I'm not too old to learn....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Fri, May 3 2013 9:46 PM

Whoo hoo!  I'm closing in on having the blocks pieced and having to start tackling the book titles. I went off plan and slowly worked my way through doing a Hungarian horntail off a web sketch.  The last block will be a combo of items from the first book.  That part of the story just seemed to be missing in the quilt.  I've been browsing for a nice streaky brown batik for the bookcase too without any real luck.  I love how Max did hers.   Anybody still plugging along on Harry?  It's been kind of quiet in HP land lately!  :o)

jen

• Post Points: 35
Page 35 of 37 (545 items) «Prev3334353637Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use