Harry Potter Paper Piecing Project of Doom: General Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 544 Replies | 21 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 210

Hi everyone,

I just went and saved each weeks pattern to a folder so I don't have to print from internet in case I am not in a place to get internet. I'm looking forward to working on this project. I'm not really a Harry Potter fan either but I have a sister-in-law that has read probably all of the books. I think this one will be for her. I have Carol
Doark paper. If someone else has a different paper that is better please let me know.

Thanks Grace

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:45 PM

Grace,

I'm currently using the Carol Doak paper but I've used a generic brand. Some people use Vellum and others use regular paper. I don't think any particular one is better per se. If you like what you're using it's fine.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 295

hi kris

mom and i just started making our quilts

mom made her first 2 squares tonight but she made some mistakes

i am going to make mine this weekend after mom figures it out because she does not want to teach me how to do it wrong 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 1 2012 9:01 PM

Hi,

It's good to hear she got started. If you need help let me know. I really excited you're doing this with us.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 9:46 AM

I really don't need another project but I made the mistake of showing this quilt to my boys. They keep asking me when I'm starting?

Is anyone going to embroider or write book titles?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:01 AM

Jacy, at this time I'm not sure just what I'm doing .I may wait until I have a few more done before I make a decision. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Jacy,

I have printed out the list of titles, and intend to embroider the titles on the books. I will have to wait for a day when my hands will agree to it, but I think it will add so much to the quilt.

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:43 AM

Have any of you decided which layout you are going to use ? I keep looking at them and can't make up my mind .I like things about both of them.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 2:24 PM

Barbara,

I'll be using horizontal sashing only. 

Jacy,

I'll be embroidering book titles but haven't decided which ones yet.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 115
Marilyn replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:09 PM

great! thought i missed it!  made hedwig! now have to wait til my sewing machine return as it s in the sewing machine hospital!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 115
Marilyn replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:15 PM

HI,

I have saved all of it in my quilting folder on my laptop. I have read all 7 HP books and loved them plus watched all movies!

One thing about using paper... I find that reg paper is hard on the needle, i have used tracing paper as it comes in a roll and just cut  what i need. I also like to try others if anyone have better experieces with carol doak's paper or etc...

Thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,917
Points 124,925
Marilyn I like Carol Doak foundation papers. I just bought another pack. They come in letter and legal size. I don't know if they are the best but I like them.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 8:48 AM

Marilyn, I agree with Judy. Carol Doak has great paper! Granted I've only done one project with it, but I was so pleased with how it printed and how easy it was to sew through...and remove!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,917
Points 124,925

I wasn't happy with the background fabric I'd used for Harry. While at Sew Expo on Friday I found one I liked better and it was only $5 yard. Plus I found some fat quarters at only $1 each that would work well for theproject. So I re-did weeks 1 and 2 blocks. I posted a photo in the paper piecing media section. Hopefully this is the only time I'll have to re-do blocks because I change my mind about fabrics!

As suggested, I'm not going to sew the blocks together until they are all completed. I can't wait to do the Owl block as I have the perfect fabric for that little fellow. Kris, will you chop off my hands if I cheat and do it ahead?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 2:27 PM

Judy, this is wonderful ,nice job ,I agree I like the fabric you used here . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 3 of 37 (545 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use