General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 530 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:05 AM

I am going to JoAnn's tomorrow and picking up the last supplies I need so I can start pp! I want to make a few blocks to get the method down pat before we start a group project.. Kris I want to thank you again for all your doing here!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:51 AM

You're welcome Joy. Have fun at JoAnn's.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:41 AM

Finally! No company, no errands to run, no doctor's appointments! Just me and my sewing machine today! (oh and the laundry!). I am going to complete one pp block if it takes me til midnight!

I do have yet another question....My DH wants me to make a wall hanging of his family crest. He thinks paper piecing it would be awesome for the project. (Yes, I am very blessed that my DH is so supportive and into my quilting!). Has anyone ever done this before? I was thinking applique would be best but I have no experience with pp.  Thoughts? Ideas?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 6:10 PM

joy, let's have a picture so we can decide which will be easier

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 3:08 AM

Yes Joy, a photo will help.

I'm looking forward to your block (or two).

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 46,560

Yesterday I was watching Fons and Porter shows while sewing. In the 1300 series there is a show with Jodie Davies demonstrating paper piecing if anyone is interested.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:53 PM

Here is a pic of the crest I want to make a wall hanging of for my DH. It's not a great pic yet because my BIL has to enlarge it and fix the resolution so I can use it for my quilt. So with all that...applique or paper piecing????? Perhaps I should also ask if its even possible....LOL!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,464
Points 116,640

Joy:
Here is a pic of the crest I want to make a wall hanging of for my DH. ..So with all that...applique or paper piecing?????

WOW, Joy that would be an amazing project. I'm not experienced enough to give good advice but perhaps all that gray/white scroll work perhaps could be done in the quilting stage. Good luck, it would be beautiful.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 2:15 PM

Great minds must think alike! I was just going to post something similar. I went to QNNTV and there are a many "how to" videos on paper piecing. I watched a few before I did my MC yesterday!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 4:15 PM

joy, because of all the curvess in the leaves it looks like it will be easier to applique.  this looks like a fun project.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 400
Vickie replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:17 PM

It depends on the fabric and how crisp it is. If the fabric is crisp then I use a wooden iron. I don't finger press because it is not a sharp enough crease unless you use your fingernail, mine are brittle due to illness and break.

If the fabric is not crisp such as when I'm using satin, so that I don't have to have a big iron on all the time, I complete the same step in all my blocks. For example I stitch all the number 2 pieces on all the blocks then press with a dry iron all those pieces before going on to the next step. I turn the iron on only when I need it.

Never use a steam iron with the steam on or water in the tank. It can make the ink from the paper bleed or distort the paper should it leak or steam escape.

I suggest that if you are obtaining the kind of results you want then continue on the way you are. The right way is the way that works for you.

If not, you might consider using a mini iron or use my method. By the way this speeds up the process like chain piecing speeds up joining the pieces of a block when you're not paper piecing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:18 AM

Joy,

I agree with Gini. This would be better appliquéd.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:22 AM

FinelyFabricated:
I don't finger press because it is not a sharp enough crease unless you use your fingernail, mine are brittle due to illness and break.

I finger press a lot and it works just fine. I do not use my nails; this could distort the fabric. I push on the fabric right at the seam (gently so as not to expose the stitches). A wooden iron works great too.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:35 AM

Thanks guys! Applique it is! I'm sure this one will take me a very long time to do. I will post pics of my progress.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 11:13 AM

Any ideas how to quilt a MC?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 3 of 36 (531 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use