General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 532 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 1:15 PM

Best way to learn Judy (in this case). You remember the mistakes and that helps a lot.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 1:16 PM

You're welcome Barbara. I can't wait to see what you do with that pattern.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 5:53 PM

I just finished PoD block 1 and the first compass block....I made quite a few mistakes and need some advice.

I had a hard time with the thick seams. Any suggestions to make them thinner...or iron a certain way?

When do you remove the paper from the back of the block?

I also noticed that when sewing  completed piece A to completed piece B, (putting the block together), and sewed on the sewing line, the sewing lines aren't lining up. How do you get both to line up before sewing? I tried to pin but I just ripped the paper.  Oh my, I hope that made sense! I don't know any other way to explain it though.

I really love paper piecing! Just have to get the kinks out!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:33 PM

Joy:
I had a hard time with the thick seams. Any suggestions to make them thinner...or iron a certain way?

You can trim away one side of the seam (the fabric after pressing to refuse bulk. I don't find this to be a problem unless I have a lot of seams coming together.

Joy:
When do you remove the paper from the back of the block?

The paper is generally left in until the project is complete but when you're not worried about matching seams it can be removed when you want to. With the mariner's compass the paper should be left in to make sure your points come together in the correct place. I believe Nancy had some trouble with this earlier on.

Joy:
I also noticed that when sewing  completed piece A to completed piece B, (putting the block together), and sewed on the sewing line, the sewing lines aren't lining up. How do you get both to line up before sewing? I tried to pin but I just ripped the paper.  Oh my, I hope that made sense! I don't know any other way to explain it though.

Pin the blocks together at the beginning and ends of the seam to be sewn. Then place a few more pins; one in the middle then one between the middle and each end making sure the pins go through the lines on the front and back. Increase your stitch length then sew the seam. If they match you can then resew with the smaller stitch. If they do not match you can take out the big stitches without doing too much damage to your paper.

Try smaller pins or hand sewing needles if your regular pins rip the paper. Hand sewing needles are great for pinning as they don't cause the fabric to shift as much.

You can also try pushing your pin straight through just to line up your pieces. Don't bring it back through to the front then pin away from the line. They also helps with shifting.

I hope this helps. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:39 AM

Kris you are amazing! Thank you so much for answering all my questions and for giving me a great reason to go to JoAnn's! I am going to have to buy smaller pins.

I already goofed because I took all the paper off! Lesson learned....won't do that again.

Hopefully I can do block 2 today with a little more accuracy!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:20 PM

You're welcome Joy. Have fun at JoAnn's. 

Looking forward to your second block.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:05 PM

Went to a quilt show today with my DH instead of going to JoAnns! Got what I needed and a little more! I love quilt shows. And my DH broke the news to me....HE WANTS TO TRY QUILTING!!! I am so excited! I hope he gets as addicted as me! LOL!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 9:11 PM

Kris:
The paper is generally left in until the project is complete but when you're not worried about matching seams it can be removed when you want to. With the mariner's compass the paper should be left in to make sure your points come together in the correct place. I believe Nancy had some trouble with this earlier on.

Yes, indeed!  Leaving the paper on made all the difference in the world.

Another trick we learned in the Craftsy paper piecing class is to Position - Peek - Pinch - Pin to help in getting the seams to line up.  (Did I get those in the right order, classmates?)

As far as thick seams, if you can anticipate which seams will come together and try to press them to alternate sides in advance, it really helps.  Sometimes presssing the seam open works best for me.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:47 PM

Thanks for the additional tips Nancy. The fours Ps sound right (I didn't take the class).

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 11:48 AM

I don't want to sound stupid but whats Peek in the 4 P's?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 5:50 PM

Peek to make sure your fabric is still in position so it doesn't fold on you when you sew.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 12:24 PM

Oh! makes sense! And is a must....learned that the hard way! Thanks Kris!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:24 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this group.

Anyone one doing the 261/2" mariners compass?

I want to make this as a round table topper and I thought about adding a circular row of flying geese as the outer border.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:55 AM

Hi Welcome to the group. I will be doing the compass blocks but not til end of March.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:38 AM

Hi Annie! Welcome to the PP Group!  A MC would be gorgeous as a table topper. I think you can enlarge the patterns we are doing here to make your block the size you want. The link for the MC is under the Pages section when you first open the group.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 10 of 36 (533 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use