rated by 0 users
This post has 250 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 10:08 PM

Hi, I am Donna B from Winthrop, WA. 

I have done a "little" paper piecing, but have a lot to learn so thought this group would be interesting.  I bought a Jinney Beyer pattern last summer on our local Shop Hop, but haven't found the time (or courage) to try it yet! 

I like Gini's idea of a paper pieced Christmas Sampler Quilt ...a great way to get rid of those small pieces of Christmas fabric.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Grace C replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:29 PM

Hi Donna,  I have only done one paper piecing quilt but really like it.  I'm sure you can do the Jinney Beyer pattern, what pattern is it?  The worst  that could happen is you have to rip out a seam.  Well nice getting to know what your up to.  I have to get familiar with navigating this site.  Could not even figure out how to introduce myself.  Well I'm from NY the catskill mountains and relocated to the beach in NC.  I have four grown kids and two baby granddaughters.  I like to quilt because I like creating nice things with my hands and machine, love color and fabrics and I try really hard to be precise.  I guess that's why I like paper piecing.  Grace

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:05 AM

Welcome Cookie, Darmess, Grace and Donna B.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 210

Hello.  I have taken a couple of paper piecing classes but still don't remember enough about the process. I am wanting to learn more about paper piecing.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:50 PM

Welcome Grace.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:55 PM

Hi.

An Adult ADHDer from the Arizona Desert.

I found Paper/Foundation Piecing to help me be able to finish projects. 

This one is a Paper Pieced New York Beauty that uses a variety of sizes of fabric pieces.  I was fortunate to have been given some very small pieces of fabric from my grandmother's stash and incorporated them into this quilt.

My long arm quilter did a fabulous job quilting it.

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:39 PM

Susan,

what a beautiful quilt. I just love the colours in it. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the group.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,365
Robin replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:29 PM

Susan,

Your quilt is beautiful, and what a treasure to have piece from your grandmother's stash.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:27 PM

Susan, your new York Beauty is wonderful. You have sone an amazing job. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Grace C replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 5:56 PM

Susan this is really a beauty of a quilt   Grace

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 915
Kim replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:13 PM

I am Kim, from Tacoma, WA and I've been quilting for about 1 1/2 years now.  I just started experimenting with paper piecing.  I made two Carol Doak blocks into pillows for Christmas gifts and loved the way they turned out.  I am eventually going to get one of her books and learn more because what little I've done so far I have really enjoyed!  I'd like to learn how to design them myself, and how you number them and everything else that goes along with it.  I'm really excited to learn more about it here.

Kim

Tacoma, WA

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 380

Hi Kris et al.,

I'm Linda Weaver from Colorado.  I've been quilting off-and-on for 10+ years; productively for the past  3.  I tried paper piecing ages ago and was a bit frustrated and want to give it a try again. I teach at University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS) and I'm on Winter Break until the 15th (more or less)...perfect time to give it a try again---this time with some direction, tips, support & encouragement!  Namaste, Linda

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 380

Hi Kim,

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Pacific NW, with the Army as well as a civilian.  My best friend lives in Olympia!  I haven't been back in a while but talk with my friend almost every week--and text when we can't find the time to talk!  I have a Carol Doak book---bought just before Christmas but haven't done anything yet.  I'm really looking forward to it!  Namaste', Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Grace C replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 9:28 PM

Hi Linda,  

I am sure you won't have a problem with paper piecing, once you get the hang of it.  I have only did one paper piecing project, but the piece's were super tiny.  At first I used my seam ripper quite a bit.  However, I stuck with it and trained my brain to do everything in reverse.  Then I was set and found it quite enjoyable.  I am a special ed teacher currently looking for work.  I had to leave my job because of a illness, but now I'm ready to return to work.  I think I actually applied  my experience working with kids with dyslexia to teach myself paper piecing.  Basically, I just started doing the opposite of how I thought it should go and then it became habit.  What do you teach at the University?  Good luck with your project and enjoy your Winter Break.  Grace

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I'm totally new to blogging as well as joining a group.  I have taken a class in paper piecing and believe it is something I would be interested in.  I live in Washington State.  I am a caregiver to my mother and my time is stretched thinly; mostly I am looking forward to encouragement. 

Page 5 of 17 (251 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use