I love the tree, I have only done one paper project and am in love with it,

Aleecia

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 230
brewsa replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sharon and I live in California. I love to quilt, but I have never tried paper piecing. Looking forward to learning how to do it. I plan on investigating the books listed and come up with an easy, beginner project. I am a first grade teacher. I have one daughter (who is going to college in Arizona). Now that I am dealing with an "empty nest" I have more time to work on projects, especially on the weekend.

I am so excited to work with friends, and learn from all of you. Should be lots of fun!

Sharon (brewsa)

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
stony replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:55 AM

I have been quilting for six years and have been wanting to learn paper piecing for the last three.  I want to make a mariners compass.  Thanks Kris.

Stony in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 10

Hi I am Linda i live in North Carolina i have been pp for about 1 year and love it if given the choice of pp or template piecing would choose pp everytime i am getting ready to start judy neimeyers  glasier star next week and also doing the dear Jane quilt which have alot of pp in it. love all of carol doaks books

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 220
Nancy replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:22 PM

Hi, I'm Nancy.  I live in Buckeye, AZ.  I've done quite a bit of paper piecing, started years ago when I saw it demonstrated at a quilt show.  Just recently completed my second Judy Niemeyer pattern and I love the finished product.  If I can figure out how to post a picture of the quilt I will.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:26 PM

Well, I did my first full sized pp of any kind about 10 years ago or so.  It went together fast, and was alot of fun.  But I haven't really done anymore since then until recently.  I found a pp mariner's watch quilt in a mag.  I think it was in last summer's issue of QUILT.  It was easy and fun to do.  If I can find a pic I will post of the very first pp project I did........There is always more to learn....and I LOVE to learn.

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 115
Marilyn replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:26 PM

Hello,

Am glad that you have set up this group! I am from Ontario, Canada and have been doing paper-piecing since it came out. I really enjoy doing it!

I am Deaf and love to sew, quilt, cross-stitching, swimming and reading as am sometimes called bookworm.

I am almost finished the Canadian Flowers for each province and territories - all paper-pieced!

Marilyn (deafquilter)

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50
pmbarman replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:39 PM

I've done a couple of paper piecing projects, took a Pineapple Star class and in 2011 took a class from Karen K. Stone on Spinning Stars.  Now I'm obsessed with these stars!   I'm a Navy Mom and will be moving to my dream home in the country in a few weeks, so I don't expect to get much sewing done in the near future.  I also have a Handiquilter Avante and enjoy pushing myself to be more creative as a long-armer.  Quilting is strictly a hobby for me, but I am a member of a wonderful guild, so I do charity quilts and Quilts of Valor for them, and occasionally donate quilts for fundraisers.  I've been quilting for about 3 yrs and absolutely love quilting and the quilting community!

Pam B.  ~  Houston, TX

replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:49 PM

Hi, my name is Candis, I live in California. I am a registered nurse that started quilting for relaxation, it quickly became an obsession.  I have completed several paper pieced quilts since then, I love it so much.i you guys wanting to try paper piecing should go to craftsyCom Peggy Martin does lessons with all kinds of projects. It's called strip paper piecing.   I got it before Xmas, and it's wonderful. I am completing the sailors delight now it's like an easier version of a mariners compass.     I have done a Mariners trust me this is a cool technique. Ok I am off to finish my  Sailors delight pp quilt now.  Happy  New Year to all.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 1:56 PM

hi marilyn, i would love to see your canadian flower quilt

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:25 PM

Wow, Candis,  I hope you will post pictures.  I'm on the hunt for a good but easy Mariner's Compass for my brother who retired from the Navy.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:28 PM

Welcome Becky. Thanks for joining us. Someone will be able to help you if you get stuck.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:38 PM

Welcome Sharon. I hope you enjoy learning to paper piece with us.

Welcome Stony. There is a link to a Mariner's compass that we're going to work on. It should be in "Pages" before long.

Welcome Linda. Let us know how your Niemeyer star goes. I'm working on DJ as well. Unlike you, I would choose templates over PP. I use freezer paper templates so I guess it's a form of PP as well.

Welcome Nancy. Instructions for posting photos are included on the group's home page. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Welcome Marilyn. Please post a photo of your Canadian flowers. It sounds wonderful.

Welcome Pam B.

Hello Candis. A few of our members are already working on Peggy Martin's class. Barbara is knocking those blocks out of the park. 

Thank you all for joining us. Looking forward to a great year of PP projects.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 85

I have been paper piecing for many years and absolutely love it.  My favorite patterns are ones with sharp points and there is no easier way to achieve those points than with paper piecing.  I joined this group because I am always interested in what kind of quilts people are making and am looking for new inspiration.  Currently I am paper piecing a wallhanging from the book Quilt Mavens by Deb Karasik and Janet Mednick.  It's very complex because it is pieced with a gradation of many colors and the challenge was to find all the gradations that I needed. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Darmess replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 9:15 PM

Hi group. I am looking forward to learning a new skill in my quilting. I find quilting therapeutic and comforting. This year I have several block of the months lined up and know that paper piecing is one skill to challenge me. Looking forward to your insights and encouragement as I mature as a quilter. D.

Page 4 of 17 (251 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use