EPP Sampler Block Seven: Curved Hexies

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris Posted: Fri, Sep 27 2013 12:23 PM

Please use this thread for block seven of the Sampler. Please share photos, tips, tricks and frustrations.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 11:07 PM

Hi,

Ok I took the challenge... and tried the curved hexie.... no 's' just ONE  :)

I still need to appliqué it to my background block but I will leave that for tomorrow.

Sandy

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:53 AM

Sandy is this the time to tell you ive simplified the block down a bit. oops

lots of love

Francesxx

However can i also say you have done a fantastic curved hexy.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 30
Amy replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 11:10 AM

I love it!  I've made the template but not the actual block.  Blue and yellow is one of my favorite color combinations!

Amy

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 11:42 AM

Okay everyone,

Ive done a simplified version of the curved hexy block, the one sandy has done such a stunning job on we will do next month, (sorry if that messes you all about its been one of those months).

Okay i used 2 inch hexies but use whatever size you feel comfortable with, and you need a compass.

Take one of your hexies

and put the compass point in one place and then put the pencil on the next point and then draw a curve

then put the point in to the next point after the drawn line and draw from the centre (where your line has already been drawn) to the end. (hope this is clear)

okay then all you have to do is cut out the parts I did find it easier to clip the fabric on the curves. You can do as many hexies as will fit or as many as you want to do.

play around with the layout to find out what suits you.

after playing around this is what i decided on, which as im sure youve noticed is the same layout as the tumbling block, block we did. The reason is I wanted one block similar on each end of the quilt and i like things symetrical.

Hope everyones okay with this any problems please let me know.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:43 PM

Very nice Frances. I love this one. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:49 PM

Thank you Kris,

How are you doing are you still looking for your quilting mojo.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 4:32 PM

Frances:

Sandy is this the time to tell you ive simplified the block down a bit. oops

lots of love

Francesxx

However can i also say you have done a fantastic curved hexy.

:)  Well, I'm glad you like it.   I got out all the blocks we have made so far and laid them and and they look nice so far :)  I do like this one block a month project 

Sandy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 7:45 PM

Frances:

Thank you Kris,

Looking high and low. I seem to be on a good start with the Loyal Union Sampler but it's just not fun like it used to be.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 11:22 PM

Kris:

Frances:

Thank you Kris,

Looking high and low. I seem to be on a good start with the Loyal Union Sampler but it's just not fun like it used to be.

Kris,

If i see it i will smack its butt and send it home.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

I've been lurking and watching all of the beautiful EPP blocks everyone has been making.  But when Frances posted the info on curved hexies they really intrigued me. I had to try one...or two.  All I can say is I'm glad that is out of my system! LOL!!   I made mine 3 inches on a side since bigger is usually easier for me to work with. Now I have to decide what to do with them. (DH suggested they could be used for cups for a bikini top.)  I'm thinking more along the lines of making them into a potholder for MIL's Christmas present.

Frances, I have a quick question on assembling hexagons.  I am making a lap quilt using the Grandmothers Flower Garden pattern.  I've been making "flowers" by stitching 6  colored hexies around the center hexie, then adding 12 white hexies around that unit.  I have almost enough flowers made and need to start sewing them together.  Here's my question:  Do you assemble the flower units the same way you make the flower units? ( Example, start with one flower unit in the center, six more added around the center, then 12 around those.)  Or do you assemble them in rows, then stitch the rows together?  Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is the first time I've been making something bigger than one flower unit.  Thanks for the help!

Kris, are you still studying?  Hope your mojo comes back soon.  You do such beautiful work its a shame you aren't enjoying it more right now.

Max 

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:40 PM

MaxNTopeka:
Now I have to decide what to do with them. (DH suggested they could be used for cups for a bikini top.)  I'm thinking more along the lines of making them into a potholder for MIL's Christmas present.

Max, good to hear from you!  You always give me a chuckle (and I really needed one today).  And, I see your husband also has a great sense of humor...LOL!

Good luck with your GFG...I'm of no help because I've never completed one either...

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 5:44 PM

MaxNTopeka:
Kris, are you still studying?  Hope your mojo comes back soon.  You do such beautiful work its a shame you aren't enjoying it more right now.

Hi Max,

I took this semester off as there were a few deaths in DHs family that happened fairly close together. We were going back and forth so much it would have been difficult with school. 

I'm working on "The Loyal Sampler" and that seems to be helping me get over the slump.

MaxNTopeka:

All I can say is I'm glad that is out of my system! LOL!!   I made mine 3 inches on a side since bigger is usually easier for me to work with. Now I have to decide what to do with them. (DH suggested they could be used for cups for a bikini top.)  I'm thinking more along the lines of making them into a potholder for MIL's Christmas present.

I really like your curved hexes. It's too bad you don't want to make more. Your DH sounds like a creative fellow LOL.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:15 PM

Max,

I love your new bikini, its a shame you didnt pose in it for us, or you could make a few more and make a dress. (by the way i love your block).

Now for your question, there is no hard and fast rule its what ever you find easiest for you I usually make up the flowers, then join the flowers together for one row and then keep adding flowers to that row. Does that make sense.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Frances, Thank you!  I wasn't sure if there was a 'correct' method or not.  I seem to be able to join the flower units with the least amount of rumples and ridges by going around and around.  Maybe because I'm just naturally dizzy?   I tried working in rows at first and couldn't seem to get anything to line up. I'll proceed (very slowly!) without having to worry about the dreaded Quilt Police pounding on my door.

Donna, if you needed a good laugh you should have been here when I modeled DH's suggestion. His comment?  "they'd need to be a LOT bigger, wouldn't they?"  

Kris,  I'm sorry to hear about your DH's family.  Hope it is a long time before either of you have to face those challenges again.  Hopefully you will be able to get back to classes at the next semester. In the meantime, sew a little as often as you can!

Max

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use