EPP Sampler Block One Grandmother's Flower Garden

rated by 0 users
This post has 198 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Marie:

Hi all, I've spent too much time looking for how much fabric we need for background for our blocks and I know I saw it before so could someone please direct me to that site where Frances had all that info posted.  Thanks in advance.

13.5" squares....not sure of yardage if that's what you're asking.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Fri, May 3 2013 12:37 PM

Thanks for replying so quickly, Erin.  I would like to know the yardage if possible and also for the PP'ing as well.  Or is that just scraps for the PP'ed parts?  What I'm looking for actually is the original post by Frances.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Fri, May 3 2013 2:07 PM

Marie,

I never put the yardage down because i didnt know but just for you i have put it into an online patchwork calculator and it said 3 1/2 yards which is for 25 blocks 13.5 inches by 13.5 inches thats for the background for the pieces i dont know as most of this is as i invent it as i go im just using scraps that ive got around for this i havent brought anything new im just using my stash. Dont forget your backgrounds doesnt have to be all the same since you can always use the sashing to bring it together.

Hope this helps honey.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Fri, May 3 2013 2:31 PM

Thank you Frances, I should've figured that out myself.  Brain dead after a tough week!  Also didn't know we were making 25 blocks so I'm glad I asked.  Got it now, 13.5" background blocks x 25, use scraps for the PP'ed part, and BREEATH!.  I hope to start the hexies tonight.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, May 4 2013 6:57 AM

Ah darn ,I used 12 ins I'll have to add a little border to my first two . MY bad,  LOL  no problem though .. Marie can't wait to see what you do , this has been so much fun, I'm loving this EPP. I think you will to . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Sat, May 4 2013 8:14 AM

Barbara,

I used 13 1/2 inches so that i had plenty of space around as previously i had started a sampler quilt and i did the first block only to find when i had done the EPP the finished block size was smaller than it was supposed to be so now i always give an inch extra these blocks will be squared  to 12 1/2 inches.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Sat, May 4 2013 1:02 PM

Barbara, I did start last evening.  Printed and cut out the hexies, chose and cut fabrics and actually made three of the hexies, 18 to go.

Frances, in cutting out the paper hexies, how accurate do they have to be?  Would a hair off matter?  I cut out printer paper shapes.  In the past I used card stock and found it to cut out more accurately.  Since I'm only 3 into the paper ones, should I go back and cut out card stock instead?

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Sat, May 4 2013 1:46 PM

No marie honey,

It should be fine EPP is probably more forgiving than most other things you do (probably why it suits me so well, I am the least precise person you will ever meet).

Its not like using a rotary cutter where you have to be totally precise, I used printer paper shapes, you will see it will turn out fine, dont worry so much ive used lots of my paper shapes up to 10 times so as you can imagine at the start they are fairly accurate but by the 10th time not quite so accurate.

Any problems sweetie just yell and i will hear.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 176,448
Marie replied on Sat, May 4 2013 2:08 PM

Frances:
Any problems sweetie just yell and i will hear.

Thanks Frances, I will.  I have been using the method where I'm stitching through the paper, I can't quite get your method of just stitching the fabric, any hints?

Love and hugs back to you, my friend.

Marie

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:18 PM

Frances here is my first hand sewn flower. I made it today and really like it. My only problem is my stitches show a bit on the front. So my question is how do you make you'd stitches? 

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Sat, May 4 2013 10:56 PM

Not really, i think its just getting used to it, it doesnt really make a difference apart from its a bit quicker not stiching through the paper, but i stitched through the paper for years before i did it this way, sometimes depending on the shape and the fabric i still do.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Sat, May 4 2013 11:00 PM

Zsofia,

I love your first block it looks great, some of my stitches still show i try and find a thread that will blend into the fabric and they only thing i can say is when you are doing the whip stitch you need to take the minimum amount of fabric into your stitch, hope this helps.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Sun, May 5 2013 1:33 AM

Zsofia,

Maybe this photo shows it better.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Sun, May 5 2013 7:19 AM

Frances:

Zsofia,

Maybe this photo shows it better.

lots of love

Francesxx

Francess - I did use little stitches a just a bit of fabric. I did not sew through the paper. I picked a light purple thread I guess I have to match the thread a fabric color a little better. I will try to finish the other two flowers today.

Zsofia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,055
Frances replied on Sun, May 5 2013 8:22 AM

Zsofia,

It will look great, your flowers are very vibrant, just like you.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 7 of 14 (199 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use