EPP Sampler Block One Grandmother's Flower Garden

rated by 0 users
This post has 198 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris Posted: Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:21 AM

Please use this thread for block one of the Sampler. Please share photos, tips, tricks and frustrations.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 6:42 AM

Okay,

This is the first block and its a nice and easy one.

The background fabric i used was 13 1/2 inches, the hexagons are 1 inch i used the free printed papers from http://hexagonquilt-along.blogspot.co.uk/ they are part way down the page on the left hand side, you will need 2 sheets printed.

First make up your hexagons, for anyone who doesnt know how to do this, i had already done a tutorial on how to make an EPP pincushion in the Christmas all year long group, and that will tell you how. You will need 21 hexagons for this layout if this one doesnt appeal you could always make one big one instead of 3 small ones.

Then sew the three together

Press well then take the papers out and basting stitches and then press well again

Then Applique it to your background fabric, I appliqued it by hand but i dont see why you couldnt do it by machine applique if you prefer it.

Any questions please ask.

1 down 24 to go. woohoo.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 7:19 AM

thanks Frances, I'll get to work on mine sometimes here in the next day or two . Your are very pretty. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 7:33 AM

Looks good Frances. You've used some of my favourite fabrics here.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Thanks Frances~ I'll start this block today. I think I will go out on the porch and sit in the glider because I have to get away from the TV, I am sick over the bombings in Boston yesterday.   I will take the iPad though, so I can listen to music while I "get my hex on"  lol   TTFN

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 8:01 AM

Thank you everyone,

For some obscure reason the pictures have come out darker than what it is in reality, now i just need to work out the one for next month.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 8:18 AM

Frances ,My digital camera is a cheapy ,I got free form work ,before I retired.  I'd workd enough hours and at the time they were giving gifts away for hours worked.  so anyway I'm sure its the camera. someday I'll get a new one that take great pictures. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 8:24 AM

Mines fairly new, although it might need new batteries oh i cant remember if it takes batteries now i have to check. LOL.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Frances, my hexies are 3/4 so mine will be a little smaller, but I'll make it work!  Love doing these!  Without much fuss you can have a beautiful block.

Thanks for starting this !!!!!!!!

Melody

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 8:47 AM

Ah no batteries, so moved to another part of the house

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:01 AM

Mel,

Yours will work out lovely 3/4 is fine (but for those without templates the inch print out was easier)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:20 AM

Frances, the fabric is really pretty ,I can see the pretty design in the background fabric just fine. Are you using this fabirc for the whole quilt ,(I mean the background ) ?. I'm going to try and use up at least part of the multiple bags of scraps I have for this project. I think I will use the same background though.  Shold be an intresting  quilt top.  thanks for doing this ,what fun.. I have gotten myself hook on EPP.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:29 AM

Yes Barbara,

My background fabric will remain the same, what i do now is when i go to my quilt shop which is probably about twice a year i buy fabric suitable for backgrounds for Applique normally i buy 2 - 3 metres of each, then i always have enough background fabric for any project and use stuff in my stash for the EPP or Applique.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

OK gals...I cheated and used 3 flowers I had already made!  The rest of the quilt will be from 'scratch' unless it calls for hexes (I have tons made already)  I am HORRIBLE with hand applique so I used my machine to make my 'wildflower garden" block.    My sampler will be scrappy as I love a lot of color so I will be going with the flow (unless a block calls for just 1 or 2 colors)  on this.  Now to find something else to do today...:)

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:34 AM

Erin, looks great,  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to hand stitch mine down or use the machine,guess I'd better get it figured out ,here soon.LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 14 (199 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use