English Paper Piecing General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 380 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Tue, May 21 2013 2:52 PM

Yes Frances I did see that movie but it was many years ago and had forgotten about it.  I will have to check the library for the book and the movie.  Today I sorted through some more scraps and made a brown block, next will be orange or yellow.  At the rate I am going I should have a completed quilt by the weekend!

Frances:

Erin,

Talking about Crazy quilts, have you seen the film how to make an American Quilt, well in that film was a crazy quilt, which you see about 2 seconds of but there was a book to go with it which told the story of the quilts in the film and how they were made, there is a beautiful picture of the crazy quilt in there, oh this is the book its not really a how to book but it does give you a better look at the quilts than the film does.

If i can find my copy of the book i will pm a picture of the quilt, dont want any probs with copyright etc so i will pm it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

my Dad was asking why a lot of your houses are made of wood and not brick like ours, im presuming that its because you dont have the clay as a natural resource to make the bricks am i right or is there some other reason???

Frances The main reason is cost.  We have the brick and some areas lots of stone, but it comes down to dollars and cents.  In a lot of areas where tornadoes are frequent homes have basements or storm shelters.  The houses I have lived in have had them and they have been made of native limestone, or cement.

MelodyP

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, May 22 2013 6:34 AM

Marie ,they are not that bad, really ,I thought I'd have a hard time but it really goes pretty fast because they are so small . You'll do just fine. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, May 22 2013 6:40 AM

Frances, I think a lot of the houses in my area have limestone foundations , We have a lot of that here , I think when new houses are built here its just the choice of the owner as to how they want the home done. We have a lot of brick homes .but in  bad weather they really don't fair any better then the others . It's hard for most things to stand up to 200 miles  per hour winds plus and survive . that's why it so important in this part of the country to have underground shelters or basements to hide in . But We have to thank God this only happens this badly every few years.  . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Wed, May 22 2013 10:38 AM

Barbara:

Marie ,they are not that bad, really ,I thought I'd have a hard time but it really goes pretty fast because they are so small . You'll do just fine. Barbara

Barbara, I don't know if you remember I was going to make a wallhanging with 1/2" hexies, made 1 and called it quits.  I then decided I'd make another so the one wouldn't be lonesome.  Well I just now finished that second one so I'm not looking forward to 81 of them but I will give it my best shot.  My fingers are not as nimble as they used to be so I may have to resort to the bigger size that Frances mentions.  We shall see!

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Marie, I have been working on my 1/2 " hex's and they do take a little more concentration than the bigger ones.  They keep slipping through my fingers! LOL  I will hang in here.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Wed, May 22 2013 1:45 PM

Marie,

Honey its supposed to be fun, if its not change to doing one big diamond, thats why i gave an alternative, I have to say that is probably the last time i would ever do 1/2 inch hexies i dont mind sewing them together but i didnt like basting them, although i did find using the small applique pins worked better than longer ones.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Wed, May 22 2013 1:46 PM

MelodyP MO/KS:

Marie, I have been working on my 1/2 " hex's and they do take a little more concentration than the bigger ones.  They keep slipping through my fingers! LOL  I will hang in here.

Mel,

I know exactly what you mean.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Wed, May 22 2013 4:57 PM

Frances:
Honey its supposed to be fun, if its not change to doing one big diamond, thats why i gave an alternative

Frances, I will try doing a few and if it stops being fun I will make the one large diamond, no problem.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

I have 1/4 of the pattern done, 1 diamond.  I keep loosing the little hexies, my needle ( not good!) and other than that, it's not too bad.  The more i do the more I want to do so I can see what it will look like.  It's good!

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Thu, May 23 2013 11:13 PM

Girls,

Im off on holiday now for the week, i will speak to you all when i get back while im away i can see what you are doing on my phone i just cant reply, everyone take care of themselves.

Huge hugs and lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Fri, May 24 2013 12:33 AM

Have a good holiday Frances.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Fri, May 24 2013 5:18 AM

Have a great holiday Frances.  I hope to get block 3 together soon,a lot going on the next couple weeks. Maybe I can work on it while in the car on drive to WV.  

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, May 24 2013 6:50 AM

Frances ,have a great holiday. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Fri, May 24 2013 6:41 PM

Enjoy your holiday Frances.  Take pics and post when you get back, please.

Millbury, MA

Page 15 of 26 (381 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use