Harry Potter PoD Blocks 28, 29 & 30

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,917
Points 124,925

Very well balanced layout Max. Looks terrific. You have such wonderfully creative ideas.

I think you'll find you will simply have to put in the shelving units and bookcase walls before you can relax. I realize I'm under a deadline so had to get that done quickly, but I was so excited to see it completed.  It just pulls everything together and accentuates the pieces.

Until I put in the shelves, I did change blocks around daily, nearly hourly (LOL) I used EQ7, I used the wall, I used my camera. Left it for a day to be stared at, moved a block here and one over there, until I finally said "Enough, this is it!".

I'm really looking forward to what you do with the bookcase. I'm sure it will be exciting, just like your blocks.

What will you do with it when it's done? Mine will be a wall hanging until it's gifted to my granddaughter some day.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

Thank you!  I am fairly happy with the layout. Reds seem to be spread around and not too many in any one spot. Same with greens and browns. I wish there was some way to make the Sorting Hat a little less plain and lumpy (ugly?), but I haven't come up with anything yet. Maybe a beaded hatband? Turkey feather? Nah.

I have the blocks beside my TV watching chair, so I can start removing paper.  Then I'll get the blocks pressed and squared up. By that point I'll be wanting to get them sewn to the shelves. I have a picture of an antique bookcase from an English furniture company. I'm going to try to sort of duplicate the look.  I'm not really in any hurry to finish it completely because I think I have decided to keep this one for myself.  Hate to admit it, but I've grown rather attached to it!  There are several ideas that I want to try to incorporate into the quilting and finishing...just for fun, for me.

RIght now I have two other quilts that are nagging me to be made. I have the patterns in my mind, and material on the cutting table. They have really been calling to me to start them, but I wanted to get all the HP blocks done before I took a break.  It's hard when I have the attention span of gnat! I have to really exercise self-discipline to stay focused and finish something. But this has taken longer than I expected, and I want to play with something else for a bit.

I'm anxious to see yours all done!  It is going to be a masterpiece! If it doesn't do really well at the fair it will just be because the judges don't know what they're doing! Your granddaughter will have a treasure.  I can just imagine in 100 years one of your decendants taking your HP quilt to Antiques Roadshow and it being appraised. They will be knocked off their feet at the value!

Max

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 1:16 AM

MaxNTopeka:
I've moved and shifted and moved blocks some more.  Think I have finally arrived at a meaningful (to me) layout at last.

Max,

you're amazing. You've put so much thought into this project. It looks fantastic and your logic is just right.  Well done.

Scabbers better watch out for those owls.

I hope you and Judy send photos to Jennifer. I bet she'll love both your interpretations of her quilt.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thank you, Kris!

Poor old Scabbers!  I'm more concerned about him sniffing the contents of the cauldron!  I'm not sure what is in it, but I know it isn't bean soup!

I hope Judy sends Jennifer a photo of her quilt. I plan on sending her one when I have the top all together. I think she will be pleased to see that people are still making and enjoying the POD! She put a lot of hard work into those patterns and it was more than generous of her to make them available at not cost!

Max

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 6:59 PM

ok.. I have not given up on Harry and here is my block 29. Had to do this one twice cause I messed up on color placement.

Deb

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:15 PM

Very nice Debbie. I love that sparkly fabric.

I haven't given up on Harry either. Just have too much going on.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:23 AM

Thanks Kris. Gonna try to get Trevor done today. I have 14 more days off and 13 blocks to finish. If I can get one done a day..... lol (Sure I can) Then its the embroidery and finishing before I can start to put the blocks together.

Hope everything is going well with you.

Deb

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Debbie,

Love the starry fabric you used on the cauldron!  Wonderful!  Hope you have smooth sailing on all your remaining blocks during your time off.

I haven't given up on Harry either.  I do understand now why this is called the Project of Doom!!  I have finally finished all the book titles and have been working on quilting. Some days I get more done than other days...it's a slow process for me.  I am trying to not allow myself to start any new projects until HP is finished.  Practicing tough love! LOL!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:11 PM

Debbie (Dainty):

Thanks Kris. Gonna try to get Trevor done today. I have 14 more days off and 13 blocks to finish. If I can get one done a day..... lol (Sure I can) Then its the embroidery and finishing before I can start to put the blocks together.

Deb,

everything fine. I'm just really busy. I'm working on my Master's degree and still trying to keep up with my sewing.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:36 PM

Wow Kris.. that is great! Wish you all the best on getting your Masters. Good thing about this is Harry will be here when you are ready. :)

Here is Trevor... he looks a bit drunk. (Think he hit the butter beer.) I might put him right next to block 29.

He seemed really bunchy near the eyes. Hope he will quilt ok. And I kept the books kind of plain cause he was so busy.

Deb

Kris:

Debbie (Dainty):

Deb,

everything fine. I'm just really busy. I'm working on my Master's degree and still trying to keep up with my sewing.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:48 PM

Thank you so much Max. Your quilt is so cool! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

I am working on the book titles too. Just picked up a awesome fine white chalk pen at our LQS. Its real fine for the lettering. I had a sharpie bleed on me on one of the blocks. So I was using pencil. But not on the dark fabric,  Gonna try it out tonight. I have 10 more blocks to piece together. yeah!! lol

Been searching for my border fabric too. I know what I want, just have not found it yet. But I have time. :)

I have...quite a few quilts going. My Grand-daughters quilt, 2 fall table runners for a giveaway with neighbors, a civil war for Mom, the double dutch, 2 Christmas quilts (next year lol) and Harry. And I only want to work on Harry. lol I just love doing the paper pieceing.

Debbie

MaxNTopeka:

Debbie,

Love the starry fabric you used on the cauldron!  Wonderful!  Hope you have smooth sailing on all your remaining blocks during your time off.

I haven't given up on Harry either.  I do understand now why this is called the Project of Doom!!  I have finally finished all the book titles and have been working on quilting. Some days I get more done than other days...it's a slow process for me.  I am trying to not allow myself to start any new projects until HP is finished.  Practicing tough love! LOL!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:03 PM

Debbie (Dainty):
Wow Kris.. that is great! Wish you all the best on getting your Masters. Good thing about this is Harry will be here when you are ready. :)

Thanks Debbie. Yes, Harry will wait for me.

Debbie (Dainty):
Here is Trevor... he looks a bit drunk. (Think he hit the butter beer.)

LOL. I love him. I really like the fabric you used for his skin. Nice work on this one.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:57 PM

Debbie,

Trevor is adorable!  He looks very very happy.  You did a really good job picking colors and patterns for him.

I have to go to the LQS tomorrow to pick out some material for the background around the bookcase. I have a scrap of fabric that both DH and I like, and I remember where I got it...now if they just have some left on the bolt.

Go, go, Go! Get those blocks done!

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 4:35 AM

Debbie,

Love your Caldron and Trevor,   Trevor actually looks like he's laughing or ribbiting.   Nice job!

Kris,

Good luck on your Master's that is one of those things I started and never finished.   Regret now but at the time with a new baby I didn't see away.   And Debbie's right Harry will wait. 

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 12:00 AM

Thanks Robin. Most days I wonder why I'm doing this. It's hard with a full time job and so much I want to be doing.

Page 2 of 4 (54 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use