Harry Potter PoD Blocks 28, 29 & 30

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,026
Points 369,887
Kris Posted: Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:21 PM

Please use this thread to discuss blocks 28, 29 & 30.

Post photos, frustrations, tips and tricks, oohs and aahs.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Here is my Week 29, the Cauldron.

My DH had picked out a really cool brownish fabric with bubbles on it to use for the 'contents' of the cauldron. Really good idea at the time, but....it looks like bean soup!  I just couldn't stand the thought of forever smelling bean soup everytime I snuggled under my quilt, so I changed it out to greenish bubbles.  I didn't want to use a black fabric for the pot since it is a fairly big area. It really seemed to dominate the quilt when I auditioned black on the design board. I went with a patterned dark grey fabric instead.  It's better, but still pretty dominating in my opinion.  Maybe I'll applique something in front of the pot to break up the solid dark chunk of color.

The block was easy and fun to do. Now just need a little 'something' to applique on it.

Max

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,026
Points 369,887
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 2:53 AM

The bean soup comment still makes me laugh. This one looks like it has eyeballs in slime. I love it. I know you'll come up with something inspiring to decorate that cauldron.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

I finally got Trevor the frog finished.  He's not hard, except I had to really watch where the colors change on him.

I kept sitting there looking at the big empty blank spot above his head, not really liking it very much.

Then a dragonfly flew by, and Trevor fixed the problem.

Sorry!  The devil made me do it!  I tried to resist, but I just couldn't!!

Max

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,912
Points 124,870

MaxNTopeka:

I finally got Trevor the frog finished.  He's not hard, except I had to really watch where the colors change on him.

I kept sitting there looking at the big empty blank spot above his head, not really liking it very much.  Then a dragonfly flew by, and Trevor fixed the problem.

I love it Max. Great imagination!!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,912
Points 124,870

MaxNTopeka:

By the way, Max, I had the same problem with keeping the colors straight. I frogged that frog more times than I can count!!

Love the fabric you used and how you arranged it. Perfect.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,026
Points 369,887
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 11:56 PM

MaxNTopeka:

I kept sitting there looking at the big empty blank spot above his head, not really liking it very much.

Then a dragonfly flew by, and Trevor fixed the problem. Sorry!  The devil made me do it!  I tried to resist, but I just couldn't!!

Oh Max I LOVE IT. Fantastic block. I love Trevor's eyes and all the colours in your block. WTG. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thank you, Judy and Kris!

He does look like an impish little frog now!

Max

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 5:03 AM

He is so cute! Great job Max. :)

Love the fly catcher. haa haa Gives him purpose. lol

Deb

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 4:29 PM

Max,

Your Trevor is terrific trevor.   What a clever idea!

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

YEA!!! THE block I have been hunting for...Week 30...the LAST ONE!! Geezz! I thought it would NEVER get here!

I love the jelly beans through out the stories.  And the flavors are wonderful...something my brothers would have loved when we were little. I apologize to the designer, Jennifer O., but I just couldn't do Week 30 as designed.  It just reminds me of an old fashion circus tent...not candy. I kept looking for something to replace the block with, and then I saw the TriWizard Cup in fandom. Poor Harry worked so hard, risked life and limb for that cup and prize money. I couldn't leave the cup out!  If you are faint of heart, beware...there are 67 pieces. I used all batik fabric so I wouldn't have to figure out front/back of fabric, and it kept the seams smaller since it is a tighter woven fabric. Every little bit helped!  The book next to it will have to be 'One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi'.

I don't think I will leave the blocks in the number order by weeks.  I've changed several blocks, and if I leave them like that, the bookshelves will be topheavy with books, and light toward the bottom with smaller items. I need to mix up the block locations for better balance. When I have that done I'll take a picture of the layout and post it here.

This project has been so much fun to this point!  I am really really glad I took the opportunity to work on it. I am going to keep this quilt for myself, so I know I will continue to 'tweek' it a little here and there until I have the binding on it. A big THANK YOU! to Kris for starting this Project of Doom! 

Max

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:50 PM

ohhhhh Max You out did yourself on this block. The colors and shadeing you used is wonderful! Great Job. And congratulations on finishing it. :) You need to celebrate. Have a butter beer. ;)

Kris I agree with Max... and Thank you too.

Deb

MaxNTopeka:

YEA!!! THE block I have been hunting for...Week 30...the LAST ONE!! Geezz! I thought it would NEVER get here!

I love the jelly beans through out the stories.  And the flavors are wonderful...something my brothers would have loved when we were little. I apologize to the designer, Jennifer O., but I just couldn't do Week 30 as designed.  It just reminds me of an old fashion circus tent...not candy. I kept looking for something to replace the block with, and then I saw the TriWizard Cup in fandom. Poor Harry worked so hard, risked life and limb for that cup and prize money. I couldn't leave the cup out!  If you are faint of heart, beware...there are 67 pieces. I used all batik fabric so I wouldn't have to figure out front/back of fabric, and it kept the seams smaller since it is a tighter woven fabric. Every little bit helped!  The book next to it will have to be 'One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi'.

I don't think I will leave the blocks in the number order by weeks.  I've changed several blocks, and if I leave them like that, the bookshelves will be topheavy with books, and light toward the bottom with smaller items. I need to mix up the block locations for better balance. When I have that done I'll take a picture of the layout and post it here.

This project has been so much fun to this point!  I am really really glad I took the opportunity to work on it. I am going to keep this quilt for myself, so I know I will continue to 'tweek' it a little here and there until I have the binding on it. A big THANK YOU! to Kris for starting this Project of Doom! 

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,026
Points 369,887
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:20 AM

MaxNTopeka:
A big THANK YOU! to Kris for starting this Project of Doom! 

You're welcome Max. The pleasure is all mine looking at the wonderful work you're all doing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Tri Wizard cup. Your fabric selection is spot on. hats off to you for making this.

Can't wait to see your blocks together.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 7:23 AM

Max,

Congrats on finishing your blocks.   I love your Tri Wizard cup.  You picked perfect fabrics.  Can't way to see how you put it all together.

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thank you all for your kind words! They mean so much coming from those who have 'suffered' right along with me on this project!

I've moved and shifted and moved blocks some more.  Think I have finally arrived at a meaningful (to me) layout at last.  Hedwig and Errol just needed to be on the top shelf...ready for a fast departure for a mailrun...or to see a mouse on the floor better!  The TriWizard Cup also felt like it should be up on the top shelf in a place of honor for Harry, along with his beloved Golden Snitch.

Harry's glasses and wand just seemed to need to be lower down, near each other, and in an easy place for Harry to grab. He wouldn't go far without either!

Harry never seemed too involved with reading the crystal ball or tea leaves, so those items were placed a little higher, and more out of his way.  I wanted to get that big bottle of moldy stuff  up high and out of the way. Wouldn't want it to get accidentaly knocked off the shelf...in fact, it may be so high up he forgot all about it and that's why it 'went bad'.

The Book of Monsters was stuck about as high as Harry could lift it, and over to the side so it could balance the Sorting Hat. I like the little potion bottles about midway where they will be in easy reach, and toward the center of the bookcase. There will be some added quilting and/or embroidery to highlight the area above the group of bottles. Scabbers was just looking for a place that was out of the way, where he could hide. And he likes to lean over and get a sniff from the cauldron every so often. Trevor was quite content to be on the bottom shelf since he can get to the ground easily when he's ready to leave.  I really hope the candy doesn't suffer to many ill effects from the fumes from the cauldron.  I still want to find 'something' to have crawling into/out of/around the cauldron. It is so big and black I would still like to break up that mass.

I have my brownish fabric for the shelves, and the shelf supports (those white vertical spaces between each shelf). I have a plan for the border that will (hopefully) make it look like a bookcase, with a crowned top, and footed bottom.  We'll have to see how the plan jells when it comes time to sew! In the meantime, here is the almost final layout draft, pending additional indecision or mind-changing on my part.   Always open to suggestions, so please feel free!

Max

PS: for whateve reason, the camer is 'shortening' the actual height of the photo. It appears square, but it is an illusion.

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 4 (54 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use