Harry Potter PoD Blocks 25, 26 & 27

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,725
Points 364,632
Kris Posted: Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:18 PM

Please use this thread to discuss blocks 25, 26 & 27.

Post photos, frustrations, tips and tricks, oohs and aahs.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Here is my Week 27, the Teacup.

The only changes I made to the teacup was to make a single band of color at the rim, instead of that narrow stripe.  Lazy? I guess! But I couldn't figure out what to do with all those seam allowances if I did the narrow stripe.

I spent more time looking for a delicate dainty fabric to use for the teacup than I did sewing the whole block together. Guess who doesn't have 'dainty, delicate, flowery' prints in her stash.

I also finished a jar of candy, but it doesn't make up a full block yet.  Does anyone besides me remember Harry eating jawbreakers in the books?

I'm skipping around on blocks now, trying to figure out which I want to use and which I want to change or replace altogether.  I think Trevor is next...lots of little pieces! And I know I'll get some of his colors switched around.  Maybe I can cheat and have his eyes closed?

Max

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,725
Points 364,632
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 2:52 AM

Max.

nice work. I like the single band on the teacup and your fabric choices as well. Thanks for posting again.

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 8:47 AM

Max I love the quilted look on the middle book.  Nice choice on your material.

Not sure about you but I had a tough time keeping the material straight on the saucer. I frogged this one several times. (my fault.. sewed the wrong sides together, and angles threw me off too. But its finished. :) Started tapeing the material to the paper to keep it in place.

The book names on this block will be  Charmed cupcakes), Enchanted toadstools, and Famous Fire eaters. (Red book) (my material keeps pulling back away from the backing paper. But my blocks are sq. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Debbie,

Thank you!   I have to pin some pieces to keep them lined up the way I want them before they are sewn down.  Hadn't thought of taping them!

Love the toadstools and cupcakes!  The fabric and titles are perfect together!  The fireeater fabric is beautiful!  Lookin' Good!!

Max

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 12:27 PM

Max, Thank you too. I am having so much fun picking out the fabric.. The tape keeps those longggg sections from flopping. Just remember to take it off before you press. pheww. I also put the tape on material and tear it off a couple of times to make it less sticky. It gets some linty on it and makes it easier to come off the paper. Deb

MaxNTopeka:

Debbie,

Thank you!   I have to pin some pieces to keep them lined up the way I want them before they are sewn down.  Hadn't thought of taping them!

Love the toadstools and cupcakes!  The fabric and titles are perfect together!  The fireeater fabric is beautiful!  Lookin' Good!!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,725
Points 364,632
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 7:17 PM

Pretty block Debbie. Love the fabrics and the book names you've chosen.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 5:09 AM

Thanks Kris. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 4:27 PM

Max and Debbie,

Love the blocks.  I think they look great.

Debbie I have some of that same red.

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Week 25, the open book, was replaced by a Chocolate Frog box and jar of candy...Acid Pops, I think.  I really wanted some candy stuck on the bookshelves, and the jelly bean block reminds me of a circus tent. LOL!  I found the pattern for the jar on a freebie website. www.quiltiger.com  . The Chocolate Frog box is on fandom. The two items side by side were too wide for the correct block size, so I sort of shoved the box part way behind the jar.  I'll add the name of the candy balls on the label when I am doing the book titles.  There is a lot of empty space above the jar and box, so I am pondering what I can add later.

Week 26, the books, was replaced, by well...some other books!  I lost the first set I printed out for Week 26, and had several 'leftover' patterns of books from blocks I've changed around. So I cobbled several of the leftovers together, and made a book block....just not the original set of books.

Week 27:  the teacup was posted previously.

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,725
Points 364,632
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:10 AM

Excellent work as usual Max. I agree with you that the jelly bean box looks like a circus tent. Very creative getting the chocolate frog bad to fit. I love your fabric choices.

Thanks for sharing your thought process with us.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,725
Points 364,632
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:12 AM

Oh and thanks for the link too. I'll add that to pages.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 7:25 AM

Max,

Very SWEET blocks!  I love your fabric choices, and your chocolate frog is the bomb!

Robin

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 5:42 PM

Block 25... not the greatest but its done. Think the open book is to dark, but not all the blocks are gonna be the 'eye catchers' I guess.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:09 AM

Debbie,

I don't think it's too dark.  Not all books have white edges.  Good job on it!     Everytime I see this open book, I think moths should be flying up out of it!  LOL!  I have no idea why, there is just something about it that makes me think that!

Max

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use