Harry Potter PoD Blocks 20, 21 & 22

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris Posted: Wed, May 30 2012 3:16 PM

Please use this thread to discuss blocks 20, 21 & 22.

Post photos, frustrations, tips and tricks, oohs and aahs.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,561
Points 118,395

Here are the blocks I've marked as 20, 21 and 22. They may not be the same as the original layout.

Block 20 - Candle. I enjoyed this one. I've started the quilting and this happens to be the first one I'm working on. The stitching in the candle base is coming out, so ignore it.

Week 21, I used one of the alternate patterns and added the bottles to some books

For week 22 I used the alternate Sorting hat. When I quilt this block I'm going to quilt in words coming out of the hat's mouth, perhaps something he said to Harry or the name of Harry's house.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Wed, May 30 2012 11:00 PM

Judy,

I'm so glad to see you've started quilting!  Looks like the thread you're using on the background is a perfect match.  Can't wait to see your quilt finished!  Really like the talking hat idea!

Here are my blocks for 20, 21 & 22.

Ignore the lavendar color, please.  It is a piece of fabric covering something else on the design board, so I could take pics of these blocks.  I used a soft grey fabric for the candle dish...tried to make it look like a pewter cup for the candle. The candle is batik with a pattern that sorta looks like running wax. It shows up better in person than in the photo. The flame is a mottled red batik.

Below are blocks 21 & 22.  I used the Sorting Hat in the regular patterns. I used some of the scruffiest brown fabric I had...dare I say ugliest? It sort of looks almost plaid in the photo, but its not.  I had a few challenging hours with the Sorting Hat.  There are lots of angles and angled pieces coming together all over the place. I was trying to be very careful about stitching on the lines, but still had to redo some seams in order to get the block up to 10 1/2 inches square. I'd recommend you allow yourself a little extra fabric on the sides of the pieces that will be the outside edge of the block. It will give you a little margin for error with all the angles, and still have enough to make the block the correct size.  Not really hard blocks, but more tedious than I was expecting!   Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,561
Points 118,395

MaxNTopeka:
Here are my blocks for 20, 21 & 22.

Max, you use the most wonderful fabrics! Love the sorting hat. It looks like it's been kicked around the block and back again. Perfect.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Thu, May 31 2012 7:10 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Here are the blocks I've marked as 20, 21 and 22. They may not be the same as the original layout.

Judy,

you put so much thought into this project. I just love your blocks and the changes you've made. I like the bottles and the labels on them. The quilting looks good so far. I like your plans for the sorting hat block.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Thu, May 31 2012 7:13 PM

Max,

your sorting hat fabric is perfect for it. Thanks for the tips on putting it together. The fabric on the book next to the hat is lovely.

Nice fabric choice with the candle as well. Well done Max.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Thu, May 31 2012 8:29 PM

I have the candle block done and working on the hat (I will post a picture when it's done). Zsofia

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Thu, May 31 2012 9:36 PM

Love those fabrics Zsofia. Nice work.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Zsofia,

I just absolutely LOVE your fabrics!  I have fabric envy so bad everytime I see your blocks!!!  Your flame is perfect, and you can just see the wax melting on the candle.  Just beautiful!!

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 7:26 PM

Zsofia,

I love your fabrics.  Both sets of blocks are terrific.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 7:27 PM

Max,

I really like the fabrics you chose for your blocks.  May have to copy the soft gray.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 7:28 PM

Judy,

Congrats on being able to start quilting.   Good luck meeting your deadline.

Robin

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 9:46 AM

Kris, Max and Robin thanks for the comments. I really like to dip into my scrap/remnant stash and there are some fabrics what I just can't cut so I fold them back and put them away... for you know the perfect project LOL.

Zsofia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Zsofia,

You mean to tell me that you've got fabrics prettier than these!?!  Ones that are so nice you can't bear to cut them up?!?   I'm going to go sit in the corner and cry with fabric envy!!   Hope the 'perfect project' comes along for each and every one....and yes, I've got a few I feel that way about, also.

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 11:57 PM

Zsofia:
...there are some fabrics what I just can't cut so I fold them back and put them away... for you know the perfect project LOL.

Oh yes I understand this all to well. I have my pet and put away stash that may never make it into a project.

You have a really nice selection of scraps too.

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use